Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    Maybe this could be usefull in the military? If it's legit.
    (There is blood for the squeamish.)
    Omnigel...

  2. #22
    Elemental Lord Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    8,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    I thought I would make a thread about military technology being developed all over the world, be it planes, ships, armored vehicles, camouflage, stealth, anything to do with defence. Post links of interest about military tech, etc.
    Discuss!
    Railgun. That is all.
    This thing fires a projectile using only electricity and magnetism, no explosions involved. The fire you see is air molecules igniting from the extreme speed and friction of the projectile.


    ---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 08:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    Maybe this could be usefull in the military? If it's legit.
    (There is blood for the squeamish.)
    If that's real, that is really neat. Could be a huge lifesaver in an emergency situation.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Railgun. That is all.
    This thing fires a projectile using only electricity and magnetism, no explosions involved. The fire you see is air molecules igniting from the extreme speed and friction of the projectile.
    By god I hope we purchase a couple of those. Maybe put it on the Type 26 frigate that will be built by by 2020+. I hope we build more than 13 type 26 frigates, Labour is pretty much guaranteed to be in power then, and I know they're less vicious with the defence budget. After all, they're the ones who ordered the two aircraft carriers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVS401_Perseus
    Dat missile...
    Last edited by Stealthwings; 2013-03-11 at 07:59 PM.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    By god I hope we purchase a couple of those. Maybe put it on the Type 26 frigate that will be built by by 2020+. I hope we build more than 13 type 26 frigates, Labour is pretty much guaranteed to be in power then, and I know they're less vicious with the defence budget. After all, they're the ones who ordered the two aircraft carriers.
    The first weaponized railgun planned for production, the General Atomics Blitzer system, began full system testing in September 2010. The weapon launches a streamlined discarding sabot round designed by Boeing's Phantom Works at 1600 m/s (approximately Mach 5) with accelerations exceeding 60,000 g's.[20] During one of the tests, the projectile was able to travel an additional 7km (~4 mi) downrange after penetrating a 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick steel plate. The company hopes to have an integrated demo of the system by 2016 followed by production by 2019, pending funding. Thus far, the project is self-funded.[21]
    I wonder what the power requirements will be. inc thorium (for safety) reactors on destroyers?

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Olo View Post
    I wonder what the power requirements will be. inc thorium (for safety) reactors on destroyers?
    No idea, probably a lot. For the beginning prototypes aircraft carriers will probably be the only ships big and powerful enough to operate such a weapon, and gradually the design will improve for use on smaller ships.

    Anyway, this looks cool:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11..._chopper_bids/
    Classified, too! Looks like there may actually be secret projects going on.
    Sounds a bit gimmicky, but overall it's pretty damn awesome. Notice how in it's helicopter form, from far away it would actually look like a full scale helicopter, if you look at it's outline.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    No idea, probably a lot. For the beginning prototypes aircraft carriers will probably be the only ships big and powerful enough to operate such a weapon, and gradually the design will improve for use on smaller ships.

    Anyway, this looks cool:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11..._chopper_bids/
    Classified, too! Looks like there may actually be secret projects going on.
    Sounds a bit gimmicky, but overall it's pretty damn awesome. Notice how in it's helicopter form, from far away it would actually look like a full scale helicopter, if you look at it's outline.
    DARPA has a similar project in the works. I'm skeptical, the v22 only just went operational and had a pretty rough ride. VTOL programs in general have been a clusterfuck.

  7. #27

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    http://en.rian.ru/video/20130310/179812650.html

    Russia always has some cool stuff
    In soviet Russia, you detect mine!


    my joke was bad, and I should feel bad

  9. #29
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,912
    We were too ahead of our time for this.


  10. #30
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Railgun. That is all.
    This thing fires a projectile using only electricity and magnetism, no explosions involved. The fire you see is air molecules igniting from the extreme speed and friction of the projectile.
    Or to make it even more striking; that's literally pretty much what the surface of the Sun is like.

    Now, regarding cartridges for assault rifles, can someone explain to a noob the essential differences between 5.56 and 6.8? What makes 6.8 so revolutionary?

  11. #31
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,938
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Or to make it even more striking; that's literally pretty much what the surface of the Sun is like.

    Now, regarding cartridges for assault rifles, can someone explain to a noob the essential differences between 5.56 and 6.8? What makes 6.8 so revolutionary?
    It is halfway between the under powered 5.56 most assault rifles nowadays use and the much heavier but over powered 7.62.

    6.8 has the punch that 5.56 lacks, but is also light enough in weight that you can carry much more than you can with 7.62. recoil is also a factor, 6.8 is in the middle in this area, making it very controllable.


  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    It is halfway between the under powered 5.56 most assault rifles nowadays use and the much heavier but over powered 7.62.

    6.8 has the punch that 5.56 lacks, but is also light enough in weight that you can carry much more than you can with 7.62. recoil is also a factor, 6.8 is in the middle in this area, making it very controllable.

    not to mention they fit into STANAG's and cycle without issues, much powerful round and without spending big chunk of money on new magazines.

  13. #33
    Mechagnome kleinlax21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin & Houston, Texas
    Posts
    612
    Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but the F-35 Lightning II looks pretty flippin sweet. The seamless integration of VTOL and regular flight in one of the variants seems badass. I am thinking of joining the Air Force after I get out of college, and I would love to have one of these babies as my own personal company car.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

  14. #34
    Bloodsail Admiral bekilrwale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sarasota Fl.
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    Surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but the F-35 Lightning II looks pretty flippin sweet. The seamless integration of VTOL and regular flight in one of the variants seems badass. I am thinking of joining the Air Force after I get out of college, and I would love to have one of these babies as my own personal company car.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II
    The F-35 is a beautiful aircraft although a lot of people are hating on the mono engine as well as the cost of the amount we ordered. I'm aiming at flying the F-22 Raptor when I graduate. Now that is a magnificent aircraft.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

  15. #35
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    21,938
    Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    The F-35 is a beautiful aircraft although a lot of people are hating on the mono engine as well as the cost of the amount we ordered. I'm aiming at flying the F-22 Raptor when I graduate. Now that is a magnificent aircraft.
    Nothing beats the spitfire, the aircraft that won WW2.

  16. #36
    Titan Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    14,110
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    it's not by sea you have to worry about...but Moose Cavalry.
    Well, have you seen Canada's king?



    It's a reigndeer, not a moose, but close enough.

    If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

  17. #37
    Bloodsail Admiral bekilrwale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sarasota Fl.
    Posts
    1,148
    I think the F-22 could beat a spitfire =].
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

  18. #38
    I was a fan of the Crusader self propelled howitzer before it got canceled by Rumsfeld:


  19. #39
    Bloodsail Admiral bekilrwale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sarasota Fl.
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    I was a fan of the Crusader self propelled howitzer before it got canceled by Rumsfeld:
    That thing was pretty cool but I'm sure it's cost wasn't worth it when we already had the Paladin available.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Nothing beats the spitfire, the aircraft that won WW2.
    I thought that was the hurricane They shot down more planes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •