Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Military Technology Thread!

I thought I would make a thread about military technology being developed all over the world, be it planes, ships, armored vehicles, camouflage, stealth, anything to do with defence. Post links of interest about military tech, etc.
    Discuss!

Canada recently fixed two broken ass like 30 year old Victoria class submarines that the UK sold us. Bringing our total Submarines to 2.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Canada recently fixed two broken ass like 30 year old Victoria class submarines that the UK sold us. Bringing our total Submarines to 2.
    Canada is plotting world domination. The world must make a pre-emptive strike.

if you guys master maple syrup propulsion we're fucked. i know behind all that politeness you guys are really plotting our destruction. i for one welcome our canadian overlords, especially the health care they'll bring with them
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    if you guys master maple syrup propulsion we're fucked. i know behind all that politeness you guys are really plotting our destruction. i for one welcome our canadian overlords, especially the health care they'll bring with them
    it's not by sea you have to worry about...but Moose Cavalry.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    I only wish I could, not worth my job though. All I can say is that 5.56 is on it's way out......

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I only wish I could, not worth my job though. All I can say is that 5.56 is on it's way out......
    I didn't know we were really the type to develop secret projects? I thought that was more the US' style.

6.8x43mm incoming?

rail guns look sweet.

One of my favorite pieces of military hardware is the CV 90 since I spent a good part of my military service hitching rides in them.

Here shown with Bill 2 AT rockets modded on to the side of it, there is a fair bit of different versions of this IFV, including one Anti-air platform, mostly designed to kick the fucking shit out of attack and transportation helos. Speaking of Bill 2, I would really like to know what the Bill 2(or ATs like the Javelin) could do to modern MBTs, theroeticall they should be able to take out most modern MBTs, but who the fuck knows, they are not likely to get used on any modern MBTs anytime soon! ;P

There has been several upgrades to armour, to increase the protection for crew and soldiers because of the high IED threat in Afghanistan.

Mostly used in Nordic countries, but Switzerland and the Netherlands use this as their IFV as well, Over 1,000 built and delivered. Canada has been looking into is as well I think but I suspect they will buy american if they need new ones.

Evaluation operators

Canada: 1 CV9035 Mark III
    United Kingdom
    Poland
    United States
    Indonesia

Combat service

Norwegian Army CV90s from 2nd Battalion saw heavy combat during Operation Harekate Yolo in Afghanistan. During the first week of November, Norwegian ISAF forces from 2nd Battalion and Kystjegerkommandoen based in Mazar-e-Sharif, responded to a Taliban attack on Afghan National Army forces in the Ghowrmach district. Having been heavily outnumbered by the Taliban forces, the Norwegians used mortars and, in particular, CV90s, to effectively beat down the attack. The operation left an unknown number of Taliban casualties, but Norwegian news sources say as many as 45 to 65 Taliban fighters may have been killed, and many more wounded.

The CV90 was later used extensively by ISAF-forces of the Norwegian Army's Telemark Battalion in May 2008, when the battalion, during Operation Karez in the Badghis Province, came under heavy machine gun and RPG fire from Taliban fighters. The attack left 13 Taliban fighters dead, and unknown number of wounded. No allied casualties were reported. In January 2010, a Norwegian soldier driving a CV9030 was killed when it drove over an IED in Ghowrmach, Afghanistan.

Swedish CV90s have also seen service in Liberia. As of the spring of 2011, Sweden operates 9 CV9040s in Afghanistan. Swedish CV90s have seen combat with insurgents on dozens of occasions.

In February 2010 Denmark sent 10 CV9035DK's to Afghanistan in order to bolster their contingent in Helmand Province. The Danish contingent has suffered numerous casualties since they began operations in the province in the autumn of 2006. The vehicles are from the Danish Royal Lifeguard Regiment, based in the Northern part of Seeland. They are working alongside with MOWAG Piranha IIIC, MOWAG Eagle IV, M113 G3DK and Leopard 2A5DK, all contributed by Denmark, in the Helmand Province. By April 2010 two of the ten vehicles have been hit with IEDs, in both cases protecting the crew and passengers of personal injury. The vehicles lost two wheels and tracks, and were sent back to the manufacturer in Sweden for further investigation. On 7 August 2010, a CV9035DK hit an IED in Afghanistan, killing two soldiers and wounding another three. The explosion was so powerful the vehicle was turned over.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-03-11 at 06:22 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    6.8x43mm incoming?
    It is starting to look that way, The results from tests have been outstanding so far.

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    I didn't know we were really the type to develop secret projects? I thought that was more the US' style.
    Isn't that the idea behind SECRET projects? The Armour used on the M1 Abrams tanks is of British design after all.

Deleted
    It is starting to look that way, The results from tests have been outstanding so far.

Isn't that the idea behind SECRET projects? The Armour used on the M1 Abrams tanks is of British design after all.
    Yea, but usually there's leaks or rumors, as there is with US ones.
    I realize I sound like an idiot.

Edit:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14788009
    Interesting stuff. Will be useful in the future, if the MoD decides to purchase a couple.
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2013-03-11 at 07:04 PM.

US Military to Test Lasers for Warplanes in 2014

Laser weapons small enough to fit aboard fighter jets could begin ground-based firing tests aimed at shooting down threats to U.S. military warplanes in 2014

http://www.technewsdaily.com/16611-m...warplanes.html

The 150-kilowatt lasers would represent a new class of weapons 10 times smaller and lighter than current lasers of similar power...Past military testing included much larger laser weapons, such as the megawatt-class laser weapon that flew aboard a modified Boeing 747 during the cancelled Airborne Laser Test Bed program. By comparison, the smaller 150-kilowatt laser could enable smaller military aircraft or even drones to carry it as a weapon.

pew pew

10+ Year Old Account
    that could be handy for when baseball instigates a war with Mexico

the 6.8 would be a great upgrade, high velocity, low recoil not as heavy as 7,62x51 and packs nearly as much stopping power.
    would greatly reduce the rants about the lack of 5.56's stopping power.

Deleted
    Maybe this could be usefull in the military? If it's legit.
    (There is blood for the squeamish.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDskVOOwsUk
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-03-14 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Removed thumbnail and replaced with direct link.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    the 6.8 would be a great upgrade, high velocity, low recoil not as heavy as 7,62x51 and packs nearly as much stopping power.
    would greatly reduce the rants about the lack of 5.56's stopping power.
    Why go make a new caliber altogether when there's already 7.62 they could use. Although for americans it's probably because Russian etc use it so they cant or they would be considered communists or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    Why go make a new caliber altogether when there's already 7.62 they could use. Although for americans it's probably because Russian etc use it so they cant or they would be considered communists or something.
    Different cartridge entirely..... Besides, 7.62 is considered too heavy for a modern assault rifle.

Deleted
    Hey, I think my dad worked on those, if I recall correctly.
    Edit: By worked I mean helped build them.
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2013-03-11 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    IIRC all new AK models since the 70s use a 5.45.