10+ Year Old Account

Two different hard drives

I am currently using a no name hard drive that came with a old computer i bought of craigslist two years ago, it currently died on me luckly it didnt have much on it.

So im looking for a new hard drive for recording fraps videos too, my two choices are

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0036Q7MV0

The 2TB version and

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barrac...nal+hard+drive

the 3TB as its cheaper then the WD hard drive.

Question is in peoples experience what would give me longer term life span, do either company have a high failure rate then the other?

Any performance differences, non that i could see.

I would trust you guys better then the amazon reviews.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

10+ Year Old Account
    Anecdotally, WD drives have a slightly lower failure rate. The WD also has a 5 year limited warranty as opposed to the 2 years on the Seagate.

However, I'd get the 3TB one. Any drive can fail, most won't. They're the same performance wise.

3 terabytes for $120 is just too good to pass up.

EDIT: here's some actual data: http://www.behardware.com/articles/8...s-rates-5.html

Seagate seems to be better at least in the 1-2TB range.
    When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

10+ Year Old Account
    Caviar Black is probaly the fastest and most reliable harddisk today. Even then, you wont notice much difference at all, i'd go for the 3 TB since the price and size difference is so far apart.

Every harddisk can fail, 2 year warranty is more than enough.
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-03-11 at 09:13 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    why not a nice WD green? (unless you are frapsing in some crazy resolution)
    big capacity and deceptively fast (100 mb/s read/write, blacks do about +-120 mb/s read/write)
    never had an issue with WD however i've seen some seagates die around me. (knocks on wood)