Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Volatile Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault

How good is Volatile Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault for Elemental shammys? It looks nice, only a fairly short uptime with 45 Sec ICD.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very good. There are better, but it's a quick, easy upgrade over the sha trinket or DMC, if that's what you're using.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

What are you using as your second trinket then Eruionmel? Well when patch hit, so you would've replaced DMC/sha with Volatile, what was your second trinket?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ala08 View Post
    What are you using as your second trinket then Eruionmel? Well when patch hit, so you would've replaced DMC/sha with Volatile, what was your second trinket?
    First thing I did was drop my normal mode 2/2 upped sha trinket for the Volatile. Then I got a Wushoolay's and replaced my DMC with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruionmel View Post
    First thing I did was drop my normal mode 2/2 upped sha trinket for the Volatile. Then I got a Wushoolay's and replaced my DMC with that.
    So out of curiosity. What are you feeling will be the two BiS trinkets this Tier? Being in a 10M guild full of casters I'm trying to nail this down to avoid taking something I wouldn't use later on. I'm currently using 476 DMC + Volatile. Looking at Wushoolay's or Breath of Hydra to replace the DMC... but thinking heroic modes in the future.

My general assumption is Heroic Wushoolay's + Breath of the Hydra for pure BiS this tier. Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's some discussion around in a couple of the BiS discussion threads, I think. My personal guess is Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance and Breath of the Hydra. I really love it when Wushoolay's procs at the beginning of an ascendance and I pull crazy numbers, but I've had trouble with it not proccing for extended periods of time. I had a couple attempts on Lei Shen (including our kill, I think) where it didn't proc for like a full minute at the start of the fight. :\ On the other hand, the Breath may suffer the same problem, since we only have one DoT. Once I'm getting closer to getting them both on heroic, I'll look into it more. For now, I'm sticking with the Volatile and whatever else I can get (in this case, Wushoolay's).

Edit: Reasoning on Cha-Ye's is that crit is actually quite good this tier (especially with PE, which I run), and the nature of the proc makes it much more likely to proc during an ascendance, which is exactly when you want it.

Edit2: Bumped up the Ele BiS thread with a list of my own. Feel free to discuss the BiS trinkets there more.
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2013-03-12 at 07:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, I didn't even THINK about Cha-Ye's and that's a damn good point, even if Crit didn't add up to be perfect you can reforge it off for a decent amount. That proc opportunity may actually make the trinket flawless in the long run when partnered with Ele 4piece.
    As far as Hydra goes, I understand the basis of only have one DoT available to us which could cause proc issues, but when I think about the Tier as a whole there are A LOT of chances to double dip Flame Shock on multiple targets. Even if you can get it running on 2 targets I feel it would benefit strongly. In some cases you can triple dip it. Sure it blows a GCD to apply it to another target but having Flame Shock up on multiple targets will give you more constant Lava Burst procs which will then work really well into our 4piece.

Horridon, Council, Tortos, Magaera, Ji-Kun (If flying, top 3 plats with 2 eggs), Consorts. Almost all the fights allow for double dipping of Flame Shock, so while we only have 1 DoT. The duration of it allows multiple applications with extra benefits from using the GCD.

Your notes on Wushoolay's in my mind actually rules it out completely. If the proc rate is as bad as it comes across it seems like a waste of space in my eyes.

So with all that said I would actually agree with you 110% on Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance and Breath of the Hydra.

Deleted
    About Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance, as it doesnt have a ICD, does that mean it can procc multiple times? (Acendance Lava Burst Spam)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotmore View Post
    About Cha-Ye's Essence of Brilliance, as it doesnt have a ICD, does that mean it can procc multiple times? (Acendance Lava Burst Spam)
    I believe the other elemental shaman in my raidgroup claimed he could get off two procs just after eachother in start meaning his full ascendance got the proc boost.

the Breath may suffer the same problem, since we only have one DoT
    As we're using rppm, having one or 10 dot running at the same time won't (significantly) change the uptime. Only problem is we have to have some dot ticking every 10sec, so if you want it to proc in aoe situation you have to make sure a flame shock is running somewhere. On single target you'll benefit as much of it (nearly) as a sp or boomkin with equivalent haste level.

Deleted
    I have Wushoolay's and DMC but I cant decide if I want to replace DMC with Shado pan trinket, Is it a worth to buy it and not buy the other pieces off valor or shall I wait for hydra/cha-ye?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardea View Post
    I have Wushoolay's and DMC but I cant decide if I want to replace DMC with Shado pan trinket, Is it a worth to buy it and not buy the other pieces off valor or shall I wait for hydra/cha-ye?
    I bought Volatile the day the patch hit. Granted at the time I was swapping from Resto to Ele so it was actually replacing a healer trinket I was using for DPS. But if you already have Wushoolay's and you have other casters to compete with for Hydra/Cha-ye (which I assume you do) then Volatile is definitely worth the pick up.
    If you feel you have a larger shot at receiving Hydra or Cha-Ye then maybe not so much.
    This is assuming you don't have a bigger upgrade from valor in the form of neck/rings etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sardea View Post
    I would (obviously, since I did it myself). The haste proc goes off all the time and is very reliable as far as proccing during ascendance. I am running PE, though. If I were running EB, I might sim it first and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Telefonorm View Post
    I believe the other elemental shaman in my raidgroup claimed he could get off two procs just after eachother in start meaning his full ascendance got the proc boost.
    Yep. I've experienced this several times already.

I've got a 2/2 Relic of Yu'lon and 0/2 essence of terror, replacing EoT with the volatile talisman would make be better eh ?
    Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6 ghz - Corsair H100 - 16GB DDR3-1600 - SLI GTX 580 - Crucial 240GB

Corsair Obsidian 650D - WD 2TB Black Storage

Deleted
    Volatile Talisman is an improved version of Essence, so i'd say yes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satyrikon View Post
    I've got a 2/2 Relic of Yu'lon and 0/2 essence of terror, replacing EoT with the volatile talisman would make be better eh ?
    Yes. Keep the relic until you get another int proc trink from ToT.

Anyone got sims (or maths) about the talisman ? I'm not sold that it's that good yet since the proc is very short.. It's probably an upgrade over the normal mode essence but by how much ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Recom View Post
    Anyone got sims (or maths) about the talisman ? I'm not sold that it's that good yet since the proc is very short.. It's probably an upgrade over the normal mode essence but by how much ?
    (Both trinkets are 15% proc rate. Average haste is just a ballpark and assumes perfect procs.)

EoT Norm: 20s up, 105s ICD: 19% uptime on 6908 haste = 1152int, 1316 average haste.
    EoT Norm 2/2: 20s up, 105s ICD: 19% uptime on 7442 haste = 1241int, 1417 average haste.
    EoT H: 20s up, 105s ICD: 19% uptime on 7796 haste = 1300int, 1485 average haste.
    EoT H 2/2: 20s up, 105s ICD: 19% uptime on 8399 haste = 1400int, 1600 average haste.
    Volatile: 10s up, 45s ICD. 22% uptime on 8800 haste = 1467int, 1955 average haste.

As you can see, the 2/2 H EoT is the closest, but still significantly worse than the new valor trinket. Upgrade away.

Edit: I should add that a shorter proc time with lower ICD is actually better for PE builds, since you can easily get thrown over the GCD cap curing a haste proc if it coincides with another haste buff, like bloodlust. The Volatile is a better choice because if it happens to proc during another haste buff, you'll have it again in a another 45 seconds when the other buff is probably gone. If the EoT were to proc during another haste buff, you have to wait another 105 seconds. Also, a 45 second ICD lines up much better with 3 minute CDs than a 105s.
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2013-03-13 at 11:11 PM.

Yep the passive stats are way higher but I'm still not sold on the proc for multiple reasons :
    - you'll most likely be casting or on GCD lock when it procs which means that on average you'll lose the first second of the effect, while this is true for every haste trinket, here it's 1/10 although essence is 1/20
    - refreshing FS with the buff is pretty hard, you should be able to do so every 2 procs but that's not 100% sure
    - it's more likely to sync with EM which is just a waste

The pros as you mentioned are :
    - should sync with 3 min CDs
    - less likely to be wasted during BL or even the meta

Tough question, gotta sim it when I have the chance.