Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    He could have a case for being threatened with a deadly weapon (or whatever the term is), but that would be a criminal charge, not a civil suit.

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 04:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Its your friends word against the managers. Even if he is telling the whole truth theres nothing he can do. Tell him to get over it, never go there again and move on.
    Unless the store has CCTV (it being a shady part of town, quite likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    Yes he could have, he entered a business, was told to leave, did not leave, that is trespassing at that point.
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    "hurry the fuck up, and get out of his store."
    It's not tresspassing to order things slowly.

Respond if you'd like but it's a waste, you are wrong on this period.
    Since you're making stuff up to try "win", of course it's a waste.

FYI it's not criminal tresspass in a store if you aren't obstructing their business.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2013-03-12 at 03:14 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would say make a report to the police and maybe see if he could contact the owners of the store. I don;t think they would like someone who threatened their customers, it is bad for business.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing what in this would be appropriate to bring to a civil court. Threatening with a deadly weapon is a criminal charge, not a civil one, but in this case even if you could prove that the pulling of the knife happened, the store guy would claim self defense, and that would fly given that your friend did not leave when told to.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You can't sue someone for kicking you out of their store. Maybe your friend shouldn't have been taking so damn long.

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 11:17 PM ----------

It's criminal trespass as soon as he was asked to leave.
    You are correct, he's just bored and trying to keep it going. Here's proof so just in case by some odd chance he actually believes what he's saying this will end all debate.
    In California for example, your mere presence on land which is open to the public is not illegal — you must also have “the intention of interfering, obstructing or injuring” people or business activity to be illegally trespassing (CA penal code 602j). If you’re on land not open to the public (other than a dwelling), It’s not illegal unless you refuse or fail to leave “when requested to do so” (CA penal code 602n).

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It's criminal trespass as soon as he was asked to leave.
    Wrong.

You are correct, he's just bored and trying to keep it going. Here's proof so just in case by some odd chance he actually believes what he's saying this will end all debate.
    That's actually proof I'm right and you're both wrong. Nice job not reading what you just copied pasted.

In California for example, your mere presence on land which is open to the public is not illegal — you must also have “the intention of interfering, obstructing or injuring” people or business activity to be illegally trespassing (CA penal code 602j).

So this apparently happened (heard it through phone) and while it sounds dubious at best, he claims it really happened, and asked what he should do, so I'm asking for some suggestions now.

So he entered a donut shop, in the more shady side of LA, and upon entering, he began to look at the menu, and after about barely thirteen seconds in, a worker (apparently manager), said to "hurry the fuck up, and get out of his store." My friend asked what was his problem. After some arguing, the man responded by pulling out a kitchen knife, and said it was my friend's last chance to leave, and he promptly ran out.

He expressed his desire to take action, and I said I would get more feedback. Do you think it's worth taking action? He's not going to see him or his store again, but out of spite.
    unless he has any physical evidence its just heresay.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no legitimate reason to sue the manager (if that’s the position he holds, the guy with the knife).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Threatening someone with a knife is potentially a violation of California Penal Code § 422
    If nothing was done right after the event happened then nothing will be done by the police now or any lawyer that isn't some hack ambulance chaser.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    did he enter the store a minute before the closing time?
    Yeah, that's not going to make a fucking difference. Being pissed off because you have to wait a bit longer to close is not an excuse to threaten somebody.

What donut shops do you know that are open until late night? Even if it was late at night, it's still not an excuse because the first thing the guy said was "Hurry the fuck up". If he was afraid he wouldn't have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If nothing was done right after the event happened then nothing will be done by the police now or any lawyer that isn't some hack ambulance chaser.
    Pretty sure they will take it seriously enough to request the camera footage. If not they're pretty bad cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Its your friends word against the managers. Even if he is telling the whole truth theres nothing he can do. Tell him to get over it, never go there again and move on.
    Camera footage. As long as the guy with the knife made the first threatening move that's pretty damning evidence. At the very least he will be fired if this gets to their regional manager. If I did anything even close to that shit I would be fired so fucking fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Yeah, I'm having trouble seeing what in this would be appropriate to bring to a civil court. Threatening with a deadly weapon is a criminal charge, not a civil one, but in this case even if you could prove that the pulling of the knife happened, the store guy would claim self defense, and that would fly given that your friend did not leave when told to.
    It wouldn't, though. It's a store, not a residence.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2013-03-12 at 07:58 AM.

Why didn't your friend just leave the store? Was he expecting to get any quality service or actually contribute income to this place after being told to fuck off?
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    did he enter the store a minute before the closing time?
    This made me chuckle ^^
    OT: I don't think your friend should do anything since no harm were done. The guy was just rude but maybe he had a good reason to be.
    Last edited by mmoca9bf05c4ed; 2013-03-12 at 08:07 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Why didn't your friend just leave the store? Was he expecting to get any quality service or actually contribute income to this place after being told to fuck off?
    GTFO!
    But i want a donut so bad man....

Deleted
    So this apparently happened (heard it through phone) and while it sounds dubious at best, he claims it really happened, and asked what he should do, so I'm asking for some suggestions now.

So he entered a donut shop, in the more shady side of LA, and upon entering, he began to look at the menu, and after about barely thirteen seconds in, a worker (apparently manager), said to "hurry the fuck up, and get out of his store." My friend asked what was his problem. After some arguing, the man responded by pulling out a kitchen knife, and said it was my friend's last chance to leave, and he promptly ran out.

He expressed his desire to take action, and I said I would get more feedback. Do you think it's worth taking action? He's not going to see him or his store again, but out of spite.
    sue him for what?

If he wants to tell the police fine.

But he was asked to leave and seams to have refused. He does not have a "right" to a donut, if you are asked to leave by the manager, get out.

The fact he even thinks he can sue over this is shocking, is that what society has fallen to, a compensation, self entitled culture. If there was an offense, tell the police, dont just assume that you can get monetary compensation.

Why is it so easy to sue someone in the US? I mean you just have to look funny at someone and they'll ring their lawyers and sue your ass though granted they wont have a case but still.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Why is it so easy to sue someone in the US? I mean you just have to look funny at someone and they'll ring their lawyers and sue your ass though granted they wont have a case but still.
    Sometimes it's cheaper for the defendant to settle than pay for representation in what can sometimes be a retardedly long drawn out process, even in a case they'd likely win.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Sometimes it's cheaper for the defendant to settle than pay for representation in what can sometimes be a retardedly long drawn out process, even in a case they'd likely win.
    So its almost like scamming people through the legal system, thats just retarded.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Pretty sure they will take it seriously enough to request the camera footage. If not they're pretty bad cops.
    Which they may not have and even if they did you do not have to provide evidence against yourself. They sure aren't going to get a warrant for it based on this nonsense story. Notice how the OP hasn't responded to anything and makes these types of threads or statements more then most. This is sure getting close if not over that line of bs threads just to stir the pot.

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 02:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    So its almost like scamming people through the legal system, thats just retarded.
    Happens all the time in the US. If you get a strong enough case to go to trial even if you won't win and it is a large company but not so large they want to drag it out forever. JACKPOT you hit the sweet spot of getting money you sure as hell have no right to. I really with we had laws a bit closer to Englands or other countries that nail you if you take up irresponsible/false lawsuits.

Great example a few years ago in Arizona a mining employee was pulling out of a gas station when a motor cycle going over 100 mph hit his truck, instantly killing the driver of the motorcycle. Turns out the guy on the bike was also double the legal limit for blood alcohol on top of criminal speeding. He was 100% guilty for the accident yet his family sued the mining company and they settled for almost 2 million just to make it go away and not receive any of the negative press about an employee being apart of a fatal car accident while on the job.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2013-03-12 at 08:58 AM.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    might be that your friend walked into a robbery in progress ofc ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That's actually proof I'm right and you're both wrong. Nice job not reading what you just copied pasted.
    And you just highlighted why you are wrong

ob·struct transitive verb \əb-ˈstrəkt, äb-\
    : to block or close up by an obstacle
    : to hinder from passage, action, or operation : impede

The friend was obstructing other customers from being able to order as far as the owner was concerned