Deleted

Help with resto/ele gear reforge

My main spec is Enh so don't be too harsh for the stupid question. I want to change me OS from resto to ele when needed without the need to reforge all my gear. Is there any way to have enough spirit to not be a lot above the hit cap as ele and not go OOM as resto. Is crit good for this? I'm in a casual 10m guild that does hc content. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not reforged youll be somwhere around 25% hit or higher, depending on what your spirit is. So in short youll be screwed on all your other stats.

Deleted
    My question is can I have enough spirit to get to the hit cap and reforge to other stat (crit for example) that works for both dps and mana regen and not go OOM all the time.

Deleted
    You will never struggle with mana as elemental because of the huge gains from rolling thunder. Just reforge yourself down to the hit cap and you'll be fine. Haste is generally your best reforge target although it's always a good idea to sim it with SimC as it tends to vary by gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormhelm View Post
    You will never struggle with mana as elemental because of the huge gains from rolling thunder. Just reforge yourself down to the hit cap and you'll be fine. Haste is generally your best reforge target although it's always a good idea to sim it with SimC as it tends to vary by gear.
    That's not his question. He wants to make a gearset that works well for ele as well as resto, I take it. That's why going OOM is a valid concern.

If I were in the situation of only having one set of gear that I absolutely didn't want to reforge all the time, I'd reforge to crit after having reached the hitcap for elemental through spirit. Crit may not be the best stat for ele, but it's better than being at 40% hit, no? And crit will bring a great deal of mana regeneration to a resto shaman who barely has any spirit. You'll be playing ele with low haste, but you'll probably be able to stick a lot of stat points into mastery. Gemming would be sort of hybrid-y. Ele likes int, resto likes secondary stats. So a mix of int/x would likely be the way to go for this.

You'll most definitely need mana regen trinkets.

It's worth a try, but if you find that you can't manage like that, you might still need to build a second gearset or reforge eventually (my tree/moonkin friend regularly reforges his gear to fit whatever spec he's playing, so it's not all that bad. After all, there are addons that allow you to save your reforges and just swap back and forth between them).

If you go though with this, could you report how this worked out for you? I'm interested to hear about the positive and negative aspects of such an approach, such as how having a relatively weaklish mana tide affects you.

Deleted
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give crit a try and see how it goes. When I have some information about how it feels, I'll let you know.

I also recently switched from enhancement to elemental as my dps spec to go with resto, and had the exact same idea - a heavy reforge to crit. Since I hadn't been collecting any ele-specific gear, I had to make my resto set work for ele. I ended up reforging spirit down to the ele hit cap, and then to crit > mastery. As a goblin, the first haste breakpoint wasn't really an issue to hold on to. This way, as long as I replaced dps trinkets with regen trinkets, it actually worked out really well for both.

I never struggled with mana in resto, and the extra AA procs from the high crit helped me out a bit in 10man spread healing (was sitting at about 25% crit raid buffed).

I did pretty well in ele as well, considering it was new to me (at least this xpac) and I knew I didn't have an optimal reforge.

I wasn't exactly doing cutting edge content, only the first few heroics in MSV (even if it was progression for us at the time), so all this feedback is probably irrelevant for anyone playing even half seriously. But in that case I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue just to reforge or switch sets as required.

TLDR: heavy crit reforge swapping out only trinkets between resto and ele worked great for me.

Deleted
    Thank you very much for confirming that. Now only need to switch to ele and get some practice.