Lore of the Mist over Pandaria - How it is made

Ok so generally speaking we have no idea how blizzard is making it up for us - but here's my idea

(B)lizzard : "Ok we introduce Pandaria Continent"
    (P)layers : Ok....But where the hell it was all the time?

A short brake in info from blizzard (some "high" sessions, drunking)

B : So...all the time it was cloaked in "mists"
    P : Ok...Why mist? How it began?

B : Oh it was because of the "last emperor of Pandarens" - throw random Chineese name - we'll explain it "soon"
    P : Ok...

B: So we decided that the emperor farted really hard and it covered whole continent in a mysterious mist. But when Deathwing flew over it he cleansed the fart with his wings which damaged him enough that we could later kill him with an old artefact...
    P: Yay!! Superb!! IT'S SUCH AN AWSOME IDEA! It's 100% true

... Hope u see my pattern here?
    They throw at us what they want and ppl believe them... make it as it would be some kind of a weird "true". I know it's a game... but their ideas are a little bit strange sometimes (now more then in the past)... I would prefer to leave the mist as a mystery and never know about it. Anything they will think about now will be as good as my idea of a Pandaren Emperor rotten dinner.

Your idea's wrong.

We already have Shaohao's story of how the mists were created. Check The Emperor's Burden, a series of lore artifacts strewn across Pandaria. This story has been available for people to see since day one.

All they want to do with Shaohao right now is show his story from another perspective: Shaohao himself. Both stories will house the same general information and same general plot over the same general timeframe. The only difference is perspective.

Deleted
    Oh holy fuck, a company writes a story for the own franchise, how dare they !

Its not "They throw at us what they want and ppl believe them... "

Its "Hey we made a story up that we like for our new lore and new game, how do you like it ?"

And by the way how would you react if I told you a teenage prince who's going to learn from the mightiest Paladin of all friggin time turns out crazy bat shit and kills hundreds of people because of boogely visions he had and run off into the north, picks up a cheese knive which is used as a soul catcher machine and the first soul it had soaked up was the most awesome and crazy Orc shaman from another planet. Oh an he uses the sword to control a gazillion of undeads chewing on your brain.

Man that sounds crazy, who would believe that ?

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, a meaningful explanation is better than none. It feels more okay. But i can understand OP, it feels a bit force-fed. But that has to be that way, otherwise it would be much more hard to add new content to the game. Remember Uldum? There have been many speculation around that zone, since the days of Vanilla WoW, but in the end they had to cover it with a "there was an ancient titan tech cloaking device that gone nuts after DW's return so now we can see this zone". How can you explain it otherwise? We are talking about a world that is being inhabited by 11 millions of curious explorers and adventurers, using flying mounts across all over the land to reach new riches and challenges. And even before flying mounts change in game (it was never limited lorewise as far as i know), there were wall walkers and bug glitchers that even got inside Mount Hyjal, Grim Batol and so on.. Even with the in-game limitations and such, that was the case, so i do not see any other proper way to introduce an un-charted island other than this. Because, once you discover that land, a question will pop up almost immediately "If i can find this, how come no one found this before me?". There is no answer to that question, but cloaking devices, moving islands, mystical shrouds and mists or other magical stuff. It is a computer game with a lore aimed primarily for in-game satisfaction, it's not an history book that you can shout "Hey, you made that up! It was not actually there!". If they force feed it to you, you have to swallow, because that is how the things work out, and you signed up for it when you showed interest in it.
    Last edited by Mengucekli; 2013-03-12 at 03:33 PM.

How is it forced down your throat? It just... is.

They mention him like maybe five times in over 20 hours of content... and that's because he was the last Emperor of Pandaria...

Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    and that's because he was the last Emperor of Pandaria...
    Of the Pandarens! Glory be to the Mantid Empire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Back in Molten Core in Vanilla, about 20 people up and the rest still being ressed. Cidet, our rogue, goes in stealth and moves up to Ragnaros. About 5 seconds later, Ragnaros aggroes and starts killing all of us again. Everyone is pissed and I whisper Cidet "wtf happened?!". All he replies me is...

"Target has no pockets"

10+ Year Old Account
    I was talking about the overall lore of pandaria and its implementation in-game, not the case with emperor, which i know was there even in the ex-pack's beta.

Didn't know people cared that much about the lore o.o

Yes, the lore has been there since launch.

And no, it is not bad; just because Blizzard decides to create lore doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible. Seriously; how many ships even go that far south anyways? Yes, it is realistically believably that the continent could have been missed by early explorers entirely. Also, the lore is placed very well; the quest chains focus on one aspect of the story for a bit while at the same time explaining how it connects with the rest. WoW is made by people who played D&D in the 80s and 90s, a game in which story telling was as or perhaps even more important than actual gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Yes, the lore has been there since launch.

And no, it is not bad; just because Blizzard decides to create lore doesn't necessarily mean that it's impossible. Seriously; how many ships even go that far south anyways? Yes, it is realistically believably that the continent could have been missed by early explorers entirely. Also, the lore is placed very well; the quest chains focus on one aspect of the story for a bit while at the same time explaining how it connects with the rest. WoW is made by people who played D&D in the 80s and 90s, a game in which story telling was as or perhaps even more important than actual gameplay.
    I must remind you that most of the folk that made that game whom you claim used to play D&D left the WoW project even before the first Exp-pack made live. It is not the same game anymore (naturally) and one can easily see the difference in the approach of developers to certain things in the game, comparing then and now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mengucekli View Post
    I must remind you that most of the folk that made that game whom you claim used to play D&D left the WoW project even before the first Exp-pack made live. It is not the same game anymore (naturally) and one can easily see the difference in the approach of developers to certain things in the game, comparing then and now.
    Thanks for clarifying, wondered if they were all still there.