Deleted

Valor of the ancients - possible "clever use of game mechanics"?

I am kinda slow, so this just hit me, is it possible or viable to cap an alt permantely with valor of the ancients with no intention on ever spending points in order to give your main the 50% valor bonus buff ?!

The buff is only activated when you cap it for that week and goes away the following week until you cap it again, so not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    I am kinda slow, so this just hit me, is it possible or viable to cap an alt permantely with valor of the ancients with no intention on ever spending points in order to give your main the 50% valor bonus buff ?!
    If i understand it correctly, the whole "Valor of the ancients"-deal works off the "1000 valor per week"-cap, not the "maximum valor per character cap", so in order to get the buff you'd have to cap said alt EVERY WEEK, better to just grind VPs on your main then :P

That doesn't work, the cap is the weekly cap which is reset every week, not the 3000 point valor cap. You typically retain the valor buff on all your characters till you zone into a new area (Instance/ different continent) Theres no way to keep the buff.

I believe the buff only occurs when you reach the weekly cap, not the maximum cap.

Edit: I was too slow!

It is based on your weekly accumulation of VP. So if I understand you correctly, you'd have to have your alt slam through 1k VP right away on Tuesday to gain the benefit on your main. I don't think there is a way to keep the buff permanently.

Deleted
    It only activates once you hit the weekly valor cap if I'm not mistaken. So I think not.

Yeah like RamsesTG said, the buff goes away on reset Tuesday. Though it would be nice to cap out 50% faster all the time.

Deleted
    Pitty, well that clears it up cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by SansCoeur View Post
    Yeah like RamsesTG said, the buff goes away on reset Tuesday. Though it would be nice to cap out 50% faster all the time.
    Up until march 5th's reset that buff remained in effect on the first character you logged on until you changed zone via a loading screen or cross realm. No idea if Blizzard is ever going to fix this or not as it's entirely possible to get ~300 Valor in 20 minutes with Isle of Thunder on a reset day.

You used to keep the buff on the first character you logged in to which meant you could run dailies for 1.5x valor until you ran out of dailies. Zoning into a dungeon or lfr would clear the buff. I think they fixed that bug with 5.2 since I didnt notice it staying this week.