Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dont listen to the people that say you should go on X diet, just eat normal food. Dont bother counting carbs / fats.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiizper View Post
    Dont listen to the people that say you should go on X diet, just eat normal food. Dont bother counting carbs / fats.
    yea right, and after you do this, then go for the x diet...atkins and duncan diets are popular for a reason.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    yea right, and after you do this, then go for the x diet...atkins and duncan diets are popular for a reason.
    Because they're fads that offer quick results for easy effort?

If the diet needs to have a special name and be marketed, there's a really good chance there's some bullshit attached to it.

Losing weight is as simple as keeping your daily caloric intake below your weight maintenance requirements. There are no "fat burning foods", there is no combination of food that loses weight faster, and there is no specific diet tailor-made to help people lose weight better than anything else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Even putting aside health, losing weight that way is hard. You don't get a very big portion of fried chicken if you're counting calories. You're going to be very, very hungry. If you get accustomed to brussel sprouts, kale, broccoli, cabbage and such, you can lose weight without ever really be all that hungry.
    Trust me, you can be hungry still and also gain weight with these kind of foods. The only thing viable is discipline. When I don't force myself to it, I can easily eat huge amounts of "healthy food" (vegetables etc) and gain weight with it, because its simply soooo much. Your stomach will be widened and you will get more hungry because hunger is an emotion sensed by the percentage of how much your stomach is filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    Trust me, you can be hungry still and also gain weight with these kind of foods.
    Most vegetables range around the 10-30 calorie level per piece. That's a ridiculous amount of food to gain weight with. Literally mounds of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    Ok so if any of you ever wonder the off-topic/fitness forums, then you have probably seen my posts or threads.

For those of you who don't know, I am one of the heavier members of MMO-C, I have struggled with my weight ever since 6th grade (currently a sophomore in college) and I really do put effort into losing weight. I want to lose weight so that maybe one day I can help someone else lose weight or get on track.

I am 5'7 white, 21 years old and weigh about 375 pounds. I "try" to go to the gym everyday, though most of the time I get sidetracked with school or social life issues. I really don't play games anymore (this is why I gained all the weight I did, paired with eating out) and I try to keep myself pretty busy. Based off what I have told you, what advice could you give me?

Here are some things I am doing or will be doing very shortly (in the next couple of days):

-Gym every single day (1-2 hours, 85% time spent doing cardio)
    -No sugary drinks (water pretty much)
    -Portion control (eating when I have to, not when I want to)

What are some other tips? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My diet includes everything that isn't healthy. Like even basic healthy thing I won't eat, not cause I'm a dumbass but rather because I'd throw up or starve to death if I was forced to eat them. Any kind of vegetables I won't eat, salads, fruits, etc. When I diet I do portion control and calorie counting. That is it.
    Well I recently started doing a diet (at the start I was something like 240lbs -- im 5'11 19yr old) -- and ive lost an absolute shit load of weight not even counting exercise, haven't had this weeks weigh in but last week I lost 12lbs -- the diet is called the south beach diet, trust me its very very hard, but extremely healthy and if you've got the balls to do it you'll be grateful in the long run.

R.e. your healthy food aversion, then your going to stay fat mate i'm afraid.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Source)
    Paladin chat and whispers now appear with sparkles.
    We have officially changed the name of the "rogue" class to “rouge.”
    All dungeon & raid bosses now have legs. If they already had legs, they got more legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    Do more weights, balance it out with cardio for best effect.

Your attitude to food needs to change, healthy food is not bland, boring or horrible. Learn to make decent things and you'll find they are far more tasty and filling than fatty, processed crap.

If you wont each vegetables, fruit etc, then you are storing up massive health problems in your future. Which no amount of excercise will solve.
    Terrible advice. If he is going to the gym every day he should stick to cardio. Weightlifting without days off - you wont gain anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    you aren't going on a temporary diet when you are this overweight

you're making a lifestyle change

it's going to take a year or two to get where you want to be, depending on what you do

10+ Year Old Account
    If you go on a low carb diet you'll lose mostly water weight, which you'll gain back when you eat carbs again.

So if you're gonna eat a low carb diet, its gotta be for life.

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    Because they're fads that offer quick results for easy effort?

If the diet needs to have a special name and be marketed, there's a really good chance there's some bullshit attached to it.

Losing weight is as simple as keeping your daily caloric intake below your weight maintenance requirements. There are no "fat burning foods", there is no combination of food that loses weight faster, and there is no specific diet tailor-made to help people lose weight better than anything else.
    Is not easy trust me, is difficult...it needs lot of effort to do the diet..

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    you aren't going on a temporary diet when you are this overweight

you're making a lifestyle change

it's going to take a year or two to get where you want to be, depending on what you do
    This is a lifestyle change, is not a fast diet for a month or 2...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Then what are they supposed to do to lose weight if they don't have the time to work out?

Exactly.

Diets are there for a reason, and they do not simply mean cutting down on food. It just means that they are eating differently than what they are accustomed to which most of the time is unhealthy.

I tried doing the Paleo diet like last year, so far it has really trimmed me down without any side-effects that other diets give out in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiizper View Post
    Agree with this guy. Random brand name diets are stupid, just watch what you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    Trust me, you can be hungry still and also gain weight with these kind of foods. The only thing viable is discipline. When I don't force myself to it, I can easily eat huge amounts of "healthy food" (vegetables etc) and gain weight with it, because its simply soooo much. Your stomach will be widened and you will get more hungry because hunger is an emotion sensed by the percentage of how much your stomach is filled.
    I don't think it's physically possible to eat enough cabbage to gain weight.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    losing weight is 80% diet and 20% working out, i know im in shape. Plus if you want to lose weight doing 2 hours of cardio is a waste of your time. Go pick up a weight, sitting on a treadmill most likely will not work

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    There are no "fat burning foods".
    Well TECHNICALLY there is but its kind of a paradox, Celery is one of the foods that has TONS of nutrients as well as negative calories as it takes more calories to process then it provides. xP

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think it's physically possible to eat enough cabbage to gain weight.
    Celery, for instance, requires more calories to chew and digest than it provides to your system. Eat Celery for a snack. And if you are working out add some peanut butter for the protein.

Deleted
    Just don't get into it to much, if you have other things to do besides put your complete focus into this project. Go slow and just start by eating healthy and not as much. Basically if you go into extremes you'll burnout and loose motivation when you hit a plateau, which you most likely will.

And don't think about fat burning foods. Eat them because they're healthy. They can't be your energy source. You need money to make money, you need food to loose weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Before doing anything I'd see a Doctor to make sure you lose it in a healthy way. Losing mass amounts of weight quickly can do damage to your body.

Deleted
    Eat lot's of proteins, reduce the carbs as much as you.
    Make sure that your body burns more calories than you eat.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html

Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate. Use the calculation to plan your daily calorie-intake. Let's say your result of the calculation is 3000 calories. Then you need to eat 3000 calories/day to maintain your current weight. Any less than that and you will lose weight, a higher intake will make you gain weight. So if you wanna lose weight I would recommend that you eat about 500 calories less than your balance(3000 calories) in this case. So we end up at 2 500 calories daily. This should make you lose weight at a steady and healthy rate.

If you want 'extreme' weight loss then you'll have to reduce the calorie-intake by alot more.
    The less calories you eat, the faster your weight-loss will be. Please note that this is neither healthy or good in the long run. It can damage your body and make you lose alot of muscle-mass doing this. If you wanna take this route, be sure to atleast keep the protein-intake as high as possible so you can keep some of your muscles.
    Last edited by mmoc37d8d80d18; 2013-03-15 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    EDIT: My diet includes everything that isn't healthy. Like even basic healthy thing I won't eat, not cause I'm a dumbass but rather because I'd throw up or starve to death if I was forced to eat them. Any kind of vegetables I won't eat, salads, fruits, etc. When I diet I do portion control and calorie counting. That is it.
    So a lot of people have already told you this so far, but I'm going to re-iterate for you anyways; exercise is great, it's good for your health and you should absolutely do that, but exercise alone won't be enough on its own to reach your weight-loss goals. If you're unwilling to change your diet by eliminating as many simple carbohydrates as possible, you're going to fail before you've even begun. Portion control can help, but ultimately it is just much simpler to start eating healthy food than it is to try and find the precise measurement of junk food that will allow you to lose weight, while leaving you hungry, malnourished, and unsatisfied.