Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    In UO's glory days, getting PKed and losing all your shit was a regular occurrence for most players. Some people hated it, for others it fueled us to become better and stronger players. As it was put on Cracked.com, UO was a pyramid of people pissing downward and the reward for playing was climbing that pyramid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do wish there was a 10 level "no attack" function.

Only if someone is within 10 levels of you are you able to attack them.

In WoW I understand there are extreme gear jumps. So perhaps, Below level 60, have it set to 10 levels. Above 60 have it set to 5 levels.

I guess this is similar to how BG's were last time I played WoW. But have it function that way out in the world as well.

This way you don't have level 90 folks ganking level 1's for the lol's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    People roll on PvP servers on WoW and then moan about being killed but I remember when I started playing MMO's most had no PvE servers and you dropped gear etc when you died, amassed most of my items on those from other people. Doesn't bother me and actually annoys me a bit when people moan about it, not being happy you've died is fair enough but don't lay fault on the system or the player.

Going to low level areas to one shot people with no risk to yourself is lame, but that's a seperate topic.
    FLYFF had a similar system like this. when killers die, there is a chance that they will randomly drop an equipment, either from equipped or carried. some money would be dropped too. percentage of what the killer had in his inventory when he died. sadly, there are a lot of power tripping players that are picking on the newbs. i had my own share of this back almost every time i play on a PK/PvP server.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    If you're playing a game/server that allows PvP then you have no right to complain about it. You signed up for it when you started playing.
    i totally agree with you. you knew the risk of playing on a server with open PK allowed. if ya can't take the heat, then go to the PvE servers.
    eversince i started playing REQUIEM: MEMENTO MORI, i've seen a lot of players crying on the region/global chat because they were getting PKd which often leads to them being killed more just because they just wouldn't shut up and other players were starting to getting annoyed by their incessant ranting.

Quote Originally Posted by VXFadhel View Post
    7)People didn't sign for crab, so yes in a way they have the right to complain about it.
    while you did raised some good points there, i couldn't get myself to agree with this one. everyone knows what a PvP/PK Server is. it's like you're saying that you rode a ferris wheel and then complain that it only rotates and is too high for you. you knew that even before you rode it. your choice is either you continue with the ride, or get off. you certainly do have a choice and rights though, but i don't think complaining about being PKd is one of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    In UO's glory days, getting PKed and losing all your shit was a regular occurrence for most players. Some people hated it, for others it fueled us to become better and stronger players. As it was put on Cracked.com, UO was a pyramid of people pissing downward and the reward for playing was climbing that pyramid.
    i agree with you brother. i think the best illustration of what you said is this
    Last edited by SloveenEfsei; 2013-03-14 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SloveenEfsei View Post
    FLYFF had a similar system like this. when killers die, there is a chance that they will randomly drop an equipment, either from equipped or carried. some money would be dropped too. percentage of what the killer had in his inventory when he died. sadly, there are a lot of power tripping players that are picking on the newbs. i had my own share of this back almost every time i play on a PK/PvP server.

i totally agree with you. you knew the risk of playing on a server with open PK allowed. if ya can't take the heat, then go to the PvE servers.
    eversince i started playing REQUIEM: MEMENTO MORI, i've seen a lot of players crying on the region/global chat because they were getting PKd which often leads to them being killed more just because they just wouldn't shut up and other players were starting to getting annoyed by their incessant ranting.

while you did raised some good points there, i couldn't get myself to agree with this one. everyone knows what a PvP/PK Server is. it's like you're saying that you rode a ferris wheel and then complain that it only rotates and is too high for you. you knew that even before you rode it. your choice is either you continue with the ride, or get off. you certainly do have a choice and rights though, but i don't think complaining about being PKd is one of it.

i agree with you brother. i think the best illustration of what you said is this
    Love that pic, lol.

@nightshark:
    I do read cracked as well oO and read the one about UO too^.^

@SloveenEfsei:
    I am not disagreeing with you about what PvP servers are about. Its just the "bad" things increased, and people didn't sign to be harassed or something like that. Most people who join PvP servers enjoys PvP once a while (not everyone of course). If people join BGs for example, and half their team is bots. They can complain and have the right to. PvP servers are not BGs or something like that, that is designed for PvP only.

Deleted
    I wonder how most of the people complaining about PvP on a PvP server would fare on Ultima Online (before Trammel and Felucca) uhuhuhuhuhu

PvP and PK is fine when its done on logical levels.

As example, on a new game everyone leveling lets say a group of 5 level 20's fights with a group of 5 level 20's, thats fun.

Then suddenly some level 60 70 or 80 depending on the game appears and 1 shots all 5 with one ability.

Thats not PvP or PK, thats a waste of time.

Same why PvP servers are a waste of time in the certain World of Warcraft.

I just resubbed 12 days ago since September when i first checked out MoP, leveling a monk, i am leveling as a healer cause i cant be bothering with quests again so i only do dungeons/some PvP, in the mornings the queue is long so i do a few quests while waiting..Some hunter tried to gang me, i destroyed him, same as everything that tries to gang me considering my Renewing Mist alone combined with Chi Wave outheals every damage they might do at me while i Tiger Palm them with the new Muscle Memory for 4-5K.

Then suddenly that hunter that failed to kill me 3 times, disappears, a level 90 warrior from the same server and guild appears and kills me, Yay for PvP and PK!

Thats why PvP servers are pointless in the certain WoW, but they arent pointless on the first days of a new expansion/new game etc etc.

1)Anyone who is saying that they don't get annoyed or bothered sometimes is flat out lying.
    That is a plain wrong extrapolation of your mindset on humanity.
    Not all people function like you, in fact probably just a few.

While bad things are bad, and people in general tend not to like them, there is this tinfoilhat group of people who think following:
    The bad things just make the good things shine bringhter and stand out. And when you think about it, they are right.
    Almost like light and shadow, just the other way round.
    If you dont encounter bad stuff, and always everything runs works as planned, you wont be full of joy, or cheering that it worked that way. You would just be used to it. Having some problems from time to time will make the times where you dont have problems to be recognized as such and people will cheer.

No light = no shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    That is a plain wrong extrapolation of your mindset on humanity.
    Not all people function like you, in fact probably just a few.

While bad things are bad, and people in general tend not to like them, there is this tinfoilhat group of people who think following:
    The bad things just make the good things shine bringhter and stand out. And when you think about it, they are right.
    Almost like light and shadow, just the other way round.
    If you dont encounter bad stuff, and always everything runs works as planned, you wont be full of joy, or cheering that it worked that way. You would just be used to it. Having some problems from time to time will make the times where you dont have problems to be recognized as such and people will cheer.

No light = no shadow.
    While I understand what you are saying, and I am not disagreeing with your "no light = no shadow" thing. But I am not sure why are you quoting me, we know that people function differently sometimes. You should also know that some functions are common as well. You have a good point there, don't ruin it by turning it towards or against me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious how implementing a restriction on attacking anyone lower than you by 10 levels would pan out.

No more level 90's attacking level 10's.

I'm sure there would be a handful on each server to flip out about it. But I don't think it would effect the masses. If anything it might make it more entertaining for people. They would always be faced with a challenge that they have a chance to over come, and not have to worry about a person 50 levels higher than them ganking them. If someone is within my level bracket, At least I can reach out to others in the area to help and it would be effective lol.

PvP is good, I love an actual fight. But getting steam rolled and camped is not fun and ruins my gaming experience.

Edit: Thinking more about it. What is the point in a level 1 showing up as Hostile to a level 90. They pose no threat. It would take a very very very long time for a level 1 to kill a max level character in the most current Tier gear. Perhaps they couldn't do it at all due to misses and regen.
    Last edited by Kathandira; 2013-03-14 at 05:10 PM.

@SloveenEfsei:
    I am not disagreeing with you about what PvP servers are about. Its just the "bad" things increased, and people didn't sign to be harassed or something like that. Most people who join PvP servers enjoys PvP once a while (not everyone of course). If people join BGs for example, and half their team is bots. They can complain and have the right to. PvP servers are not BGs or something like that, that is designed for PvP only.
    of course players have a lot they can complain about. playing on a PK server mean players can attack you anytime as long as you are not in the safezone. if one does not like the idea of being killed at the whim of others, i think they should just stick to playing in PvE servers and have duels which are consented PvP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine View Post
    PvP i dont mind bring it on doesnt matter if it's 1vs10 or so.

OT: This just reminded me on my ydays battle on TERA me and my 2 buddies vs 8 guys from some guild tries to gank us with a failure and we proceed to gank them back 4 times (we were all lvl 23-25 so fair game and all)

then we got pretty much killed after they called for help in gchat and after that we got our butts blasted to oblivion by a lvl 60, yet i didnt feel angry about it all since they had to call 35 lvls higher to kill us

EDIT: typos
    Off-topic: I like your Avatar.

On-topic: Usually it doesn't bother me all that much, especially not if you're playing on a PvP server. Only time it bothers me is when someone continues to kill/gank low-levels on purpose, just for the sake of ruining their gaming experience. I don't buy the whole "You signed up for it when you rolled here" thing in that case.

@Ashaela:
    Did you just steal his Avatar or you had it long ago OO?

@SloveenEfsei:
    Yeah some people join PvP servers because their friends play there or something but they dont like the idea of getting killed by others.

Having been a player of UO during T2A (before feluccia and trammel) I much prefer FFA PVP over other team based variants. It makes it have a little more depth than "if you're red you're dead" as everyone is killable; everyone could be your potential killer or victim.

There was a person on the first page that mentioned that getting ganked while already engaged wasn't pvp, I disagree. Having been the victim to that several times during my days of WoW and UO, I can say it sucks, but its all part of the pvp metagame. It may not be honorable pvp, but then again, pvp being broken down to a series of honorable duels is (IMO) boring and feels detached from an immersive world.

The only thing I dislike about PVP systems is when they allow for people to be camped. Rezzing should always be available to let the loser to get back on their feet and come back to the fight on their terms or run away.

Deleted
    For the people saying that you chose to play on a pvp server, so you have no right to complain, think about this: does a newbie even know what pvp and pve server means ? Maybe he joined a random server, maybe he joined a recommendend server, maybe he joined the server his friends play on.

Deleted
    No, I love PKing. I always play stealthy classes or those with lots of escape abilities and I never go all out on damage while ignoring survivability even while doing PvE. I also carry PvP gear with me. So when someone does attack me or my group, I escape, go stealth, stalk them and kill them when the right opportunity presents itself. Like when they are trying to gank someone else or are separated from their group or in the open with low health.

I normally don't attack others minding their business but it's so much fun repeatedly killing the ones searching for easy pray and especially satisfying if I manage to kill their entire group one by one, then camp them while they're vulnerable. It's an art, taunting them to chase me only to turn around and kill them when they pull aggro or making them angry so they do stupid things while chipping away their health.. it's what makes MMO's worth playing for me

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the amount of PKs. Even if I were to play on a PK server, getting killed abit now and then wouldn't bother you. It makes you quest/do whatever more efficiently so you can avoid it the next time. However if they keep hunting you down then it is out of hand and not fun at all. No matter if you can take them down yourself or not.

I'unno. Sometimes I get pissed off if it happens enough by the same dude or if i'm trying to do some-else.

@Lizbeth:
    You like stealthy classes...and love PKing^.~ Make sense^.~
    @Spl4sh3r:
    I doubt that getting gimped in 2 seconds without having the chance even to cast anything makes someone more efficient^.^ But I understand what you mean, and I agree to that.
    @Aelayah:
    The concept have advantages and disadvantages. But if someone told his/her friend to play with them on that server, and then left them to get ganked all over without offering any help, thats a different matter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    For the people saying that you chose to play on a pvp server, so you have no right to complain, think about this: does a newbie even know what pvp and pve server means ? Maybe he joined a random server, maybe he joined a recommendend server, maybe he joined the server his friends play on.
    Then he's fine to complain that he rolled on the wrong server.