Thread: 120 Yard Sprint

120 Yard Sprint

Okay this has been messing with me all day. Supposedly, there is a Senior at my high school (a white guy for those who care) who ran 120 yards in 11.2 seconds. I was just wondering what are the odds that is accurate? I haven't timed myself or looked at other times, but it seems like an average speed of 22 mph would be pretty absurd for a high school soccer player. Am I right to call BS?

Side note: the person that ran this also supposedly ran 100 yards in 9 seconds. I also called major BS to that one.

The odds are effectively zero. People lie about speed all the time, or just have shitty hand-timed numbers that are wildly inaccurate. Every damned high school football team where I grew up had kids that they claimed ran 4.4 a 40, almost none actually did.

Yeah I don't think it's accurate either. The fastest kid I've seen personally at my school ran a 4.5 and he's a flipping beast. No way is this soccer player topping out at a little less than Usain Bolt times.

Nope. At best he was mistimed using one of those terrible handheld stopwatches that would be hard pressed to accurately time a baking cake, let alone a short sprint. At worst, he's intentionally lying to seem way more awesome than he really is. Most probably, it's some of both. He probably gloated about his time, realized it wasn't accurate, and is too far in now to admit he was ever wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    It may be true, but I really doubt it. If he was that fast colleges would be swarming him like flies.

My friend just graduated high school last year, and he was one of the fastest kids in the nation. I dont think 120 yards is even a distance that is done competitively. The friend I am talking about is named Marvin Bracy, and his fastest 100 meter dash was a 10.25 seconds. So again it could be true, but doubtful, because it would make your friend among the fastest kids in the country.

Here is the link to my friend if interested- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Bracy

Since he's probably timed with a hand stop watch I wouldn't say he's lying per say, but a 9 second 100 is world record shattering speed, so no, he doesn't run a 9 sec 100.

Edit: You're friend is awesome, he has a Wikipedia page.
    Last edited by Rollet; 2013-03-13 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Previos comment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollet View Post
    Edit: You're friend is awesome, he has a Wikipedia page.
    He is one of the dumbest people you can ever meet, so its a good thing he is fast lol

10+ Year Old Account
    never ran the 100, but I did the 40 when I was still doing soccer... the trick isn't how fast you are, it's how quick you get off the line and who quickly you accelerate to your top speed... if you have a slow start but can build up to a fast speed... your shit out of luck, only got 40 yards to sprint as fast as you can, not 500. Me being fit my whole life and playing soccer... I got a 4.6 40 yard dash that I'm proud of.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    Doable with inaccurate timing. Have to remember that on short distances a timer started half a second to late can easily give you some amazing times.

You guys seem to be mixing up yards and meters. 120 yards is roughly 110 meters... Running 120 yards or 110 meters in 11.2 is not out of the question. If Loganroth has a beast friend that did it in 10.25 accutrac, a person could do 120 or 110 in 11.2 handheld. There is usually a +.2 added when using handheld watches. 11.4 more accurate is possible and not out of the ordinary.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    120 yards in 11.2 seconds is the same average speed as 100 metres in 10.21 seconds. So... that's pretty fast. That'd get you into the final of international athletics meetings. Almost definitely mistimed.