Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you sometimes think the developers get tired of the game, too?

Like just how players sometimes need to take a break for a while. After all those years of playing, things don't seem so fresh anymore, so a lot of people stop playing for a while and come back later. Think about how it must feel for the developers to work on that game for years, every day. Do you think they sometimes have problems getting motivated to give 100%? That comment from one of the dev interviews where they said they kind of lost their way for a while and didn't know what direction the game was going. Is that maybe why raids like Dragon Soul felt a bit uninspired compared to something like Throne of Thunder. I mean I don't want to say lazy, it's a bit judgemental, but I think it's hard staying motivated and focussed for so long.

Deleted
    It's probably easy to get tired of the game if every time they make a decision, someone somewhere will make a forum criticizing them for it.

But like most things if you keep doing the same thing for along time, you will likely tire of it, i assume being a game developer is just the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you ever get tired of your job or have a bad day? These people are professional game designers, they'll be programmers, artist, analyst, etc... but they are still just people doing a job. I'm sure it's a fun place to work but honestly it would still be a job. I'm sure they have managers that overact to blizzard's highly active forum (I couldn't imagine working in a place were even minor things you create get scrutinized to death).

Imagine working on a raid or a feature that's new and creative for you, that takes 6 months to plan, write and test and then when it launches performs in a way you never expected and then have a million people blast you as if you were a lazy hack. Good times

Do you think they may half ass stuff because they aren't enjoying their job (for whatever reason), I'd like to see one person in the world that hasn't done something like that.
    Last edited by dryankem; 2013-03-13 at 07:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet when the devs log onto the game, especially the ones that are always getting heat on twitter etc(like ghostcrawler) they probably look around like, "I hate you all." lol
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

Speaking from personal experience, they rotate developers through projects at most studios, so they don't get burned out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargon View Post
    I bet when the devs log onto the game, especially the ones that are always getting heat on twitter etc(like ghostcrawler) they probably look around like, "I hate you all." lol
    LOL, yeah it would be hard not to think that. I'm sure they get close to deleting accounts just to screw some little jerk who won't shut up. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't really afford to "get tired" or "take a break" like we do when they're actually being paid to work on games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dryankem View Post
    Do you ever get tired of your job or have a bad day? These people are professional game designers, they'll be programmers, artist, analyst, etc... but they are still just people doing a job. I'm sure it's a fun place to work but honestly it would still be a job. I'm sure they have managers that overact to blizzard's highly active forum (I couldn't imagine working in a place were even minor things you create get scrutinized to death).

Imagine working on a raid or a feature that's new and creative for you, that takes 6 months to plan, write and test and then when it launches performs in a way you never expected and then have a million people blast you as if you were a lazy hack. Good times

Do you think they may half ass stuff because they aren't enjoying their job (for whatever reason), I'd like to see one person in the world that hasn't done something like that.
    Of course I get tired of my job sometimes, isn't that the point I was making? The difference is that my demotivation at my workplace does not affect people in the same way. Those are creative people and their motivation affects the quality of the game. And keep in mind that usually people don't work on the same game for such a long time. I remember Chris Metzen saying that when they work for a long time on a game, because they want to finetune it, it takes the wind out of their sails.

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 09:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    Can't really afford to "get tired" or "take a break" like we do when they're actually being paid to work on games.
    It has nothing to do with being able to "afford" it. When you lose your passion, it happens. They don't only work on the game, they also play the game themselves, because they need to understand the game from a player's perspective.

More tired of each time they change something due to request, people changing their fucking minds,

TBC heroics to hard,
    Wrath, heroics to easy ( the term wrath babies created)
    Cata brings hard back to heroics, people moan heroics are to hard
    MoP goes back to wrath style, people complain their to fast to easy,

People wanted to bring back old boss's
    They get brought back,
    People complain,

People want to use all their mounts on each character,
    Acc mounts come in, people complain,

People wanted to use their old gear,
    Xmog came in, people complained (everyone goes for the same sets for the most part)

People wanted to x mog 60 pvp gear,
    They let people do it,
    People complain they still can't mog it, or theres to few,
    They let people earn a high rating to get it,
    People complain people can get it "again"

People complain people have to much gold,
    they put in BMAH
    People moan people can bid 999k

People complain about not being able to get un obtainable mounts or amour anywhere,
    Comes up on BMAH
    People complain people can get it again,

People complain Heroic is to hard, Final boss on normal is to hard / not seeing the content at the current level,
    LFR introduced, people complain raids are to easy (classing LFR as a real raid) and everyone gets to see every boss

People complain gear is hard to come by,
    LFR introduced, people complain everyone has epics (alts included in this btw >)

People moan about ninjas in the LFR Loot system,
    They change it so they're no roll options, but = or better chance to win loot, People complain

People complain about rogues having to apply poisons manually every hour,
    They change it to a one click buff (indefinitely until death or cancelled?)
    People complain it doesn't feel like a rogue any more,

People moan that legenderies are to hard to get,
    They change it to a grind / quest fest, so you dont need to down the final boss to get it,
    People complain every tom dick and harry guild has one,

People "miss" riding ground mounts while leveling, like in Outland originally,
    Flying prohibited in MoP while leveling,
    People complain they can't fly to each quest zone

People want outdoor boss's
    They add out door boss's
    People complain about them,

People complained TBC outdoor boss's were to hard
    They make MoP ones easier
    People complain everyone can down it

People moaned outdoor boss's in TBC spawned to slowly (once a week iirc)
    They add (initially) a 4 hour timer to Sha, People complain its up to often,

These literally took me 5 minutes to come up with, and I know as most of you know, have seen each one of those "topics" made into a thread on this website before,

So yea, if I was a developer I would be getting really pissed off with this bull shit every patch and expansion, of people finding faults with everything

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargon View Post
    If I was a developer I'd login and go "GOD I HATE GHOSTCRAWLER, he nerfed my class." Then report all the people who used profanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    More tired of each time they change something due to request, people changing their fucking minds,
    I'd be tired of developers thinking it's the same people, Luckily they aren't that thick though.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    If not they have the only office job ever that doesn't get boring and tedious after a couple weeks on the job!

Deleted
    I don't mean tired of their job, game development in general - I mean tired of the game.
    Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2013-03-13 at 09:24 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I' don't mean tired of their job, game development in general - I mean tired of the game.
    Using a product is a completely different experience from supporting a product. Anyone who can work on software and not be sick of working on it after all that time is insane. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they're sick of playing the game. In fact, the more sick you are of supporting it the more likely you are to appreciate just sitting down and experiencing the smooth user experience all your hair-pulling has created. At least, that's my experience as a software developer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crym View Post
    Using a product is a completely different experience from supporting a product. Anyone who can work on software and not be sick of working on it after all that time is insane. However, that doesn't necessarily mean they're sick of playing the game. In fact, the more sick you are of supporting it the more likely you are to appreciate just sitting down and experiencing the smooth user experience all your hair-pulling has created. At least, that's my experience as a software developer.
    Like I said, they also play the game.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Like I said, they also play the game.
    Playing it as part of testing? Yes. I'm sure they get sick of doing that. It's just a job, after all.

Playing it as entertainment? Yes, but I would be surprised any more than any other player. The only thing that I could see changing that is they get "spoilers" for a lot being around the office I'm sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doubt they play as much as normal gamers since it's their job. I'd imagine the best option would be to keep playing the game to experience what players are complaining about and see what's good or bad.

Deleted
    Yep, and it shows.

TBC heroics to hard,
    Wrath, heroics to easy ( the term wrath babies created)
    Cata brings hard back to heroics, people moan heroics are to hard
    MoP goes back to wrath style, people complain their to fast to easy,

People wanted to bring back old boss's
    They get brought back,
    People complain,

People want to use all their mounts on each character,
    Acc mounts come in, people complain,

People wanted to use their old gear,
    Xmog came in, people complained (everyone goes for the same sets for the most part)

People wanted to x mog 60 pvp gear,
    They let people do it,
    People complain they still can't mog it, or theres to few,
    They let people earn a high rating to get it,
    People complain people can get it "again"

People complain people have to much gold,
    they put in BMAH
    People moan people can bid 999k

People complain about not being able to get un obtainable mounts or amour anywhere,
    Comes up on BMAH
    People complain people can get it again,

People complain Heroic is to hard, Final boss on normal is to hard / not seeing the content at the current level,
    LFR introduced, people complain raids are to easy (classing LFR as a real raid) and everyone gets to see every boss

People complain gear is hard to come by,
    LFR introduced, people complain everyone has epics (alts included in this btw >)

People moan about ninjas in the LFR Loot system,
    They change it so they're no roll options, but = or better chance to win loot, People complain

People complain about rogues having to apply poisons manually every hour,
    They change it to a one click buff (indefinitely until death or cancelled?)
    People complain it doesn't feel like a rogue any more,

People moan that legenderies are to hard to get,
    They change it to a grind / quest fest, so you dont need to down the final boss to get it,
    People complain every tom dick and harry guild has one,

People "miss" riding ground mounts while leveling, like in Outland originally,
    Flying prohibited in MoP while leveling,
    People complain they can't fly to each quest zone

People want outdoor boss's
    They add out door boss's
    People complain about them,

People complained TBC outdoor boss's were to hard
    They make MoP ones easier
    People complain everyone can down it

People moaned outdoor boss's in TBC spawned to slowly (once a week iirc)
    They add (initially) a 4 hour timer to Sha, People complain its up to often,

These literally took me 5 minutes to come up with, and I know as most of you know, have seen each one of those "topics" made into a thread on this website before,

So yea, if I was a developer I would be getting really pissed off with this bull shit every patch and expansion, of people finding faults with everything
    Well that is exactly what developers are for.

You don't given into what people want. You have people that come together and develop a game with a vision they had in mind and they hope others play the game with their intent in mind.

But I often find, Blizzard to be one of those that simply does things to please the masses, it may not be good but they do it none the less. Its like the more you cry and spam the forums the more likely the ball will get moving. Those ain't the best or the right kind of developers you want.

You would probably expect a game that has been out for over 8 years would be close to balance as possible. I mean sure there are going to be low table DPS, mid table DPS and chart toppers, but its Blizzard fault for changing their stance so frequently. It should have always stuck with bring the class and not the player. When they changed that everyone wanted to be competitive with uncompetitive specs which wasn't going to be viable. People have been bitching about Elemental Shamans being bottom tier, but Resto is a strong spec and Shamans as a class is complete but you still get people bitching about Elemental.

Then this new ideology led to class homogenisation since every class had to have something similar or people would complain. I mean this was always going to be a losing battle when you cater to everyone, but you have control over things when you run the show.

But Blizzard rarely seem to know what they are doing themselves. Cataclysm said a lot about Blizzard than any previous expansion. I mean to release hard heroics which even I would agree were quite hard, more so long rather than hard, and then take a different approach was really bad planning.

I liked the boss fights in the Heroic Dungeons, but the trash leading up them and the length itself was long and often times there were too many bosses. DMC had like 6-7.

Because instead of trying to please everyone, they should've stayed firmly on their course and just ignore all that QQ.
    Also, class homogenization was the worst idea ever. Support classes were the very soul of the game.