View Poll Results: Should Blizzard merge low realms at Eu/US

Voters
1071. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, stopped playing since on a dead realm

    181 16.90%
  • Yes

    727 67.88%
  • No

    163 15.22%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
11
12
... LastLast
  1. #181
    The Lightbringer Mandible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post

    To add my own thoughts to this. I'm torn. On one hand, it would help the "dead" realms in terms of having a world that feels much more alive... but it also creates problems. If you look at any of the "CRZ is Evil" threads, you will see people mention that increased competition for resource nodes, rare spawns, quest items, and quest mobs is/are reasons why they don't like CRZ. I would imagine that the same complaint could be made if Blizzard opened up transfers for servers. There are also people who don't care about the rest of the players on the server and don't care to interact with them either. They are happy to go through the game without dealing with other players.
    Think you can count on it not as much being the competition they got an issue with, but the fact that its people from other servers on "your" server - messing with your terf so to speak. Since its people from other servers its like LFG / LFR that the chance of meeting them again to persecute what they did (if they actually did something to you) is about none, so there are no riscs involved in cross realm zones and your behaviour.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

  2. #182
    The Lightbringer NatePsychotic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    3,921
    They want people to group up for Isle of the Giants farming and Warbringer rare elites, but how is it possible to do such a thing on a dead realm or a quiet friend's list? I think they should really start fixing these issues currently with the patch. It makes it hard to do any of the group farms when you're on a quiet server or the other faction seems to dominate.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimodofof View Post
    The merge was in Taiwan! not in China mainland. The taiwan servers are in South Korea, Blizzard HQ ASIA.
    WOW China merged a number of servers about a year or so ago.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Megara View Post
    Not sure if merging is the solution, but they should do SOMETHING. It's silly that there are realms with 1 to 100 faction population ratios.
    Allow same name on both factions - merge 1:100 with 100:1, give priority for name clashes to oldest name.

  5. #185
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscience View Post
    Wrong. Blizzard is running and making the decisions on WoW in Taiwan. Its just local company operating as host and handling logistics. So they do in Korea. Korea could enjoy free transfers off from low population server and server merges too. Singapore (Oceanic) server are run by Blizzard any ways. China and Russia is not entire Asia. But even in China merges in some regions where done while in other regions new realms where added.

    Aside from that I keep stumbling over user repeating the same myth that it is an major
    database struggle spending hours to make up excuses. Merges where done by Blizzard before.
    It has been done by others before. This question is closed.
    There is no technical barrier to start the merge process immediately.
    They just don't want to. Most reasons have been mentioned. Image and profit.

    And yet I think free transfers FROM dead server would be good enough.
    One very important fact you've either ignored, or fail to grasp. Blizzard decides how to manage server populations. YOU DONT!

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    One very important fact you've either ignored, or fail to grasp. Blizzard decides how to manage server populations. YOU DONT!
    Where do you get that he thinks that he manages the server populations from that post? And what exactly does Blizzard do to manage the populations form my experience it is very little, I can create a new character on or transfer a existing one to a full/high population realm and the issues dead or dying realms as well as those that suffer from severe faction imbalance have been going on for years yet nothing has been done about it.

  7. #187
    High Overlord Dezminion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    One very important fact you've either ignored, or fail to grasp. Blizzard decides how to manage server populations. YOU DONT!
    True, Blizz does manage serv. pplations, but at the moment they are not doing a good job at it, at least that is what I think, and judging from the poll status, quite several others share my opinion?

  8. #188
    Field Marshal Oldish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Madmortem
    Posts
    57
    Playing on a low populated realm with a 1:100 ratio isn't quite fun at all. From xpac to xpac the situation gets even worse.
    Character(s): Oldish, Laverne || Guild(s): Exitus - MM || Sig by ql1max

  9. #189
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    5,014
    They SHOULD, but they won't for two reasons:

    1) They don't want to appear weak, and like it or not whenever a company does server mergers the doomsayers come out of the woodwork to point out "Oh look they're merging servers! They're losing subs!"

    2) They charge for server transfers, so it's actually MORE profitable for them to NOT merge servers so people will pay to transfer their toons elsewhere.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Mod Voice


  10. #190
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    True, Blizz does manage serv. pplations, but at the moment they are not doing a good job at it, at least that is what I think, and judging from the poll status, quite several others share my opinion?
    Or, you could do what the rest of the folks that left the server and didn't quit did... pay for the xfer... easy peasy.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

  11. #191
    High Overlord Dezminion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Or, you could do what the rest of the folks that left the server and didn't quit did... pay for the xfer... easy peasy.
    If they are doing merges at somewhere else, why should I pay here? And for having several 90's it would cost quite a lot, sadly.

    Edit:
    And no, I hate lvl'ing, so migrating one with my looms at his/her bags and leveling new toons is sorta out of the question
    Last edited by Dezminion; 2013-04-03 at 04:33 AM.

  12. #192
    this thread is quite interesting. My server died along time ago hence I quit and started playing another game.

    - This new game had free server transfers for about 6 months until people started abusing it. If wow was going to offer free transfers it should be a one time offer.

    - This new game also allowed you to join any other server if you wanted, and still can. You can become a 'guest' on any server up to 4 times a day. But if you do guest you can't contribute to PvP, only PvE to stop griefing.

    - This new game doesn't have a server auction house, you have a global auction house so server numbers don't matter to the global economy.

    - Also you can transfer your account not just a single toon to help with people who have multiple toons.

    So there are plenty of options blizzard can take to help low realm populations get back on track. They seem to forget even though they are charging for server transfers they are also losing money due to people quitting because of low population issues. They really need to think about how it effects the enjoyment of the game before thinking about their wallets.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Or, you could do what the rest of the folks that left the server and didn't quit did... pay for the xfer... easy peasy.
    Right, so you are suggesting that people pay Blizzard to fix a problem that they have allowed to get out of hand?!? How about the more realistic situation where people who are having their game play negatively affected by low or imbalanced populations just stop paying them altogether?

  14. #194
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    Or, you could do what the rest of the folks that left the server and didn't quit did... pay for the xfer... easy peasy.
    If you're gonna talk crap like this i dont know what you are doing on this thread. Why should people pay significant amount of money to Blizzard for fixing issue which is Blizzards fault. It's like i get drunk i run my car into your house and you have to pay for my car repair.

    If you have nothing to contribute to the thread except "lulz go payz for tranzferz duh" go troll somwhere else.

  15. #195
    yes, of course they should have.

    I remember end of 2007 after Burning Crusade came out, Coilfang alliance had trouble fielding more than 49 level 70s I told Mike Moirhaime that at 2007 blizzcon right before he went on stage with his bad gig, he said he would look into it, clearly never did. Back then in BC was one of those unbalanced 80% horde and 20% alliance servers. Blood Elves being far to popular to roll at the start of BC.

    However even at the end of WOTLK I could see on Coilfang Alliance we neeeded to start merging into a super guild and work together as a server however I can name the 10 to 15 influencitial people on Coilfang Alliance that refused to work together for the greater good and stayed in their selfish guilds. Yet we always pugged a few of them to fill our raids. People just did not have foresight to see what was needed to work together.

    I wish I could name the in game names of people who were to selfish and refused to work together but afraid it will be to negatively viewed by MODS and just combative to begin with.

    Now Coilfang has virtually no Alliance raiding progression at all this expansion. Killing 2 bosses what 4 weeks in is not progression. Its a shame that MMO Devs will use this as a reason to institute their nerfs to raid content as they are needed to help these types of servers. Its clearly not needed, its the ego players on those servers refusing to work with other people in a greater setting as a Super Guild would provide, The GMs refusing to actually tell their bad attitude people to stop offending the less skilled players and realize on a very low population server every player is needed and providing help to them is needed.

  16. #196
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,569
    Only if they're guaranteed to keep their name, if not, no. It'd be silly.


  17. #197
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezminion View Post
    If they are doing merges at somewhere else, why should I pay here? And for having several 90's it would cost quite a lot, sadly.

    Edit:
    And no, I hate lvl'ing, so migrating one with my looms at his/her bags and leveling new toons is sorta out of the question
    Because 'somewhere else' is not 'here'... and if you want something bad enough you'll make the effort and/or commitment to get it... That said, you clearly DONT want off your server bad enough because you are still there.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 03:33 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by boboistina View Post
    If you're gonna talk crap like this i dont know what you are doing on this thread. Why should people pay significant amount of money to Blizzard for fixing issue which is Blizzards fault. It's like i get drunk i run my car into your house and you have to pay for my car repair.

    If you have nothing to contribute to the thread except "lulz go payz for tranzferz duh" go troll somwhere else.
    Your analogy is garbage, you calling me a troll is beyond comical.

    Yes, its Blizzard's fault... they never should have allowed server xfers in the first place. If YOU have nothing to contribute to the thread other than calling someone a troll and/or attacking them for a position you dont like perhaps, you should be the one leaving.

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by NonameXADX View Post
    No. I, like many others, refuse to change my character names.Blizzard does not wanna merge the realms for the exact same reason, and I love them because of it. If they would add something like "Last Names" then sure, but like this? Definitely no.
    I hate this company for the same reason You love it. This is just retarded that i have to pay them 20Euro for every toon i have on my dead realm...No fuckin way, now i enjoy GW2 and i won't even bother returning to WoW unless they fix the population problem. I can't even sell stuff on fuckin auction house, how screwed is that. My friends who moved from my server to more populated sold everything in few hours ;(. I'm not a gull to pay them more to enjoy the game, i was paying monthly fee and i lost enough money on this game. I hope more ppl will speak with their wallets and they will stop paying fee for WoW or buying games from Blizzard to TEACH them how to properly treat their customers. It's sad that nowdays they don't see gamers, but wallets . I gave them last chance in MoP, thats enough.


    Edit.

    Maybe instead of charging ppl for transfer, let's offer ppl who transfer from the more populated realm to the low pop realm 1 or 2 months of free game time or some rare mount or whatever that would encourage them to transfer , ofc with a restriction that u can use that only once. Ofc You would be able to transfer the whole account .
    Last edited by Nehezbegar; 2013-04-03 at 09:23 AM.
    "Dont gain the world and loose your soul
    wisdom is better than silver and gold"


    Bob Marley

  19. #199
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,993
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    They SHOULD, but they won't for two reasons:

    1) They don't want to appear weak, and like it or not whenever a company does server mergers the doomsayers come out of the woodwork to point out "Oh look they're merging servers! They're losing subs!"
    While this is probably true to some extent, I doubt this is a primary motive behind Blizzard's current policy.

    2) They charge for server transfers, so it's actually MORE profitable for them to NOT merge servers so people will pay to transfer their toons elsewhere.
    Here I disagree entirely. Blizzard charge for server transfers in order to try and deter the practise. In fact they happily allow free transfers where it will help to fix imbalances.

    Simply put, allowing players to transfer characters across realms or to change factions is bad for the game because people tend to migrate to the wrong (ie stronger) faction/server because they see a benefit to doing so. So what happens is that unbalanced populations tend to become more unbalanced over time.

    The ONLY reason Blizzard allow it at all is because there is such a strong demand for it, and preventing players from moving at all would be even worse for the game (ie it is better to allow a player to switch realm/faction than to have them unsubscribe). If they made all transfers free chaos would ensue. By charging for the service, it makes people reluctant to change on a whim. Yes, Blizzard do make some money from it, but it also costs them money. They, contrary to popular belief, not a bunch of money grabbing short sighted idiots. They are looking at the big picture, and trying to do what they believe will be best for the players (and in turn the game and their profits) in the long run. I am pretty certain that Blizzard would happily drop character transfers altogether if they believed it would be better for the game.


    The primary reason why Blizzard doesn't particularly want to merge servers is very simple: You land up with name conflicts, which leads to unhappiness when someone is forced to change a name they happen to like. There is no need to look for more sinister motives when such an obvious one is apparent.


    If they want to fix the problems with server imbalances, they need to start by finding ways to make underpopulated servers/numerically inferior factions more attractive, thus encouraging players to switch to the smaller faction, instead of switching away. They then need to make sure that it is free for people to migrate their characters from an overpopulated faction to an underpopulated faction.

    As things currently stand though, it is just far too attractive for most players to go join the most overpopulated realm and side with the faction that dominates the realm 100:1.

    I believe they were hoping CRZ would fix a lot of the problems without having to migrate characters, but I suspect it hasn't worked out as Blizzard would have hoped.

  20. #200
    Field Marshal Oldish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Madmortem
    Posts
    57
    20 € per char to transfer to another realm is one thing. The other thing is that i love my guild but not everyone has the money to transfer. So i can choose a dead server or a new guild. Both versions are not appealing.
    Character(s): Oldish, Laverne || Guild(s): Exitus - MM || Sig by ql1max

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •