Thread: Eh...what?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Eh...what?

Ok so I was playing WoW, met this girl. Thing is she lives in Norway and she met some bf online sometime in the past.
    (NONO not a relationship thread, trust me)

She says he manipulated her so that now he can take down her internet at will and has parental controls over her WoW account, of course they broke up.

Anyways, he can lock her down whenever he wants, and he can lock her internet somehow.

She needs to call her internet company to change the IP address but she can't or her family will rage at her because some random guy has control over it.

So what does she have to do?

Of course it was stupid to share the WoW account in the first place though.

Also, how is it even possible to lock down the internet, he lives in another country.

She also called Blizzard, but she has to make a ticket regarding the parental control.

Please note, this is all according to her.

EDIT: I knew this would come up....I am not the person in the story, I am just a WoW friend of hers, really, it is not a reference to me in any way.
    Last edited by mmoc5ad709a1f5; 2013-03-13 at 12:20 PM.

Deleted
    So the girl should learn not to share her account details with someone she met online and never saw in real life. Totally her fault and even if I knew how to help I wouldn't as it's totally deserved.

Also off topic.. what happened to the friend? Did he stop causing problems?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    So the girl should learn not to share her account details with someone she met online and never saw in real life. Totally her fault and even if I knew how to help I wouldn't as it's totally deserved.

Also off topic.. what happened to the friend? Did he stop causing problems?
    It is stupid yes.

Well he is basically still capable of doing those things.

She needs to just call the ISP even if her parents will get mad, its her fault he knows the information so if they get mad thats her own problem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    She needs to just call the ISP even if her parents will get mad, its her fault he knows the information so if they get mad thats her own problem
    True, I told her that it doesn't matter, she should just do it.

But she refuses I guess.

I still don't know how one manages to lock down internet at another place though. Never heard of it.

Is it possible for her to create a new wow account under the name the original was created and have her characters etc transferred? Also she should contact her ISP or just cancel.

Deleted
    Maybe it's just her parents trying to make the girl spend less time in WoW. Anyway, I think the best thing to do is tell the family and take the well deserved rage. Let this be a lesson for her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by That Feel View Post
    Maybe it's just her parents trying to make the girl spend less time in WoW. Anyway, I think the best thing to do is tell the family and take the well deserved rage. Let this be a lesson for her.
    Mate, I know what you are implying but it really isn't me. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    So what does she have to do?

Also, how is it even possible to lock down the internet, he lives in another country.

She also called Blizzard, but she has to make a ticket regarding the parental control.

Please note, this is all according to her.
    How technical is this person? The most logical explanation is that he got her IP and is then able to DDoS it (pretty simple to do). This is avoided by changing the IP.

She will have to make a ticket regarding parental control, and for her own sake; don't tell that you shared your account. That's pretty much an instant ban.

Could it be possible, that it is actually her parents that are controlling her wow time and internet. Maybe this past boyfriend is being used as an excuse because she is embarrassed to admit her parents putting controls on her.

True, I told her that it doesn't matter, she should just do it.

But she refuses I guess.

I still don't know how one manages to lock down internet at another place though. Never heard of it.
    Maybe she has an internet account that he can access online? If she's using a router he could probably be accessing the management interface through the internet too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnal View Post
    How technical is this person? The most logical explanation is that he got her IP and is then able to DDoS it (pretty simple to do). This is avoided by changing the IP.

She will have to make a ticket regarding parental control, and for her own sake; don't tell that you shared your account. That's pretty much an instant ban.
    She says she is not good technically, but she knows the IP has to be changed.

I know, the account sharing thing should not be brought up I guess.

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 01:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ManglolSA View Post
    Maybe she has an internet account that he can access online? If she's using a router he could probably be accessing the management interface through the internet too
    Hmm, could be,

She says she is not good technically, but she knows the IP has to be changed.

I know, the account sharing thing should not be brought up I guess.

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 01:16 PM ----------

Hmm, could be,
    This is most likely because her family haven't protected their router with a strong password (the default one is "password"..yeah). Tell her to do an "ipconfig" in the CMD, take the numbers after standard-gateway and write it in her browser. Then log in with the default name and password and change the password to something else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnal View Post
    This is most likely because her family haven't protected their router with a strong password (the default one is "password"..yeah). Tell her to do an "ipconfig" in the CMD, take the numbers after standard-gateway and write it in her browser. Then log in with the default name and password and change the password to something else.
    Will let her try this, though I am not sure she knows the user/pass.

Will let her try this, though I am not sure she knows the user/pass.
    By default its usually Username: Admin Password: Admin or something along those lines just have her google her routers default username/password. Also some ISP allow you to change your IP without calling them by just turning off the modem for 30 secs and turning it back on.
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2013-03-13 at 12:28 PM.

Take a pin and press it into the small black reset button at the back of the router for ~20 seconds. Then change the default password of the router to something nicely complicated. Then call her ISP and get rid of her static IP.

Assuming the story is real, that is.

Deleted
    Well let her try those things.

She is too scared of her family, jesus christ, but she is working on gaining acces to the router with my guidance.

Could also be a backdoor to the very computer she's sitting on, making the change of IP useless.
    I have no confidence in her knowledge being right about the IP ;P

It's the usual thing computer illiterate people pull off, along with "i'ts a virus!" when they fuck things up.

have the guy ever done it, or is she's just saying "he can, and i totally like had a disconnect twice this month and he must be the one behind"?

Reset the router(either with the reset-pin, or of that feels too complicated, cut it's power for 3 hours, which most will get reset by), get a new password on it, and check the computer for backdoors.
    And get a password on the computer too.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    It's weird, she says she tried to restart the router and even replaced the router.

It didn't help.

---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Terridon View Post
    Could also be a backdoor to the very computer she's sitting on, making the change of IP useless.
    I have no confidence in her knowledge being right about the IP ;P

It's the usual thing computer illiterate people pull off, along with "i'ts a virus!" when they fuck things up.

have the guy ever done it, or is she's just saying "he can, and i totally like had a disconnect twice this month and he must be the one behind"?

Reset the router(either with the reset-pin, or of that feels too complicated, cut it's power for 3 hours, which most will get reset by), get a new password on it, and check the computer for backdoors.
    And get a password on the computer too.
    I am not sure her family would appreciate the 3 hours without internet though.

She says he has done it 6 times. Disconnecting I mean.

And how do you check backdoors? Malware bytes scanner? :P
    Last edited by mmoc5ad709a1f5; 2013-03-13 at 01:00 PM.

Deleted
    Well let her try those things.

She is too scared of her family, jesus christ, but she is working on gaining acces to the router with my guidance.
    Based on my own experience with stupid things I've done and needed help with, it's better to just tell the family about it and take the trash - the plus to it is that then they know that you'll tell them when you fuck something up badly, so they don't have to guess and worry all the time. Of course her parents could be different, but she has to get over that fear sooner or later.