10+ Year Old Account

Would like some guidance for Retribution that I can pass along.

In my secondary raid groups is a paladin who, once upon a time, was quite amazing with his spec and one of our most vicious dps. In ICC he would top meters on multiple fights and be top 3 on most that he didn't top.

Thing is, ever since Cata added Holy Power (and the plethora of other changes between then and now of course) he has struggled to pull even remotely adequate dps, and its at the point where tanks typically out-dps (and do more overall damage than) him on nearly all fights. This raid group doesn't obsess over progression (its fun before all) but its really difficult to ignore. I'm not going to link this player's armory (not out to embarrass them), but they're 484 ilevel with appropriate hit/expertise and correct secondary stats/chants/gems. This isn't someone running around in tank gear with INT gems. :P

(and no, I'm not the paladin, I warrior-tank the raid this paladin is a part of).

If anyone is willing to outline the basic priorities/mechanics of properly playing ret against bosses/significant single targets I would greatly appreciate it. I don't care how bad his dps is on trash: we have several zomg-huge AOE dps'rs and trash dies superfast as it is. But on bosses, this player needs to be able to pull his weight. At the moment, he does not.

Please do not troll or waste your time or mine with 'LOLBAD'-type comments. I'm trying to get information to pass along to this player, to help him. He knows his dps lacks and its something that bothers him - but he just doesn't seem to understand how to play the pally anymore and its the only 90 he has. Thanks for reading, and for any help you may offer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I recommend him trying out the CLCRet addon. I'm not saying it will suddenly make their DPS shoot through the roof, but it will tell when to use what ability, and basically always give you something to do every GCD. Provided it's not a gear issue and more of a rotation issue, this should definitely help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    If anyone is willing to outline the basic priorities/mechanics of properly playing ret against bosses/significant single targets I would greatly appreciate it.
    There is a sticky at the top of the board that outlines the basics. Feel free to check or direct your raid member there.

Linking armory is not embarrassing them, unless you -are- out to embarrass them (which you aren't). We have a thread dedicated to people who seek specific help with their characters to improve their performance, so feel free to use that thread too. There are many, many helpful posters here who will do their best to help your raid member.