Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So tell me - How do you play a Warrior for pvp in 5.2?

Hi All!
    First off, any good guides yet?
    What spec is best? Rotation (or priority list)? Spec? Stat priority? etc..

All help is appreciated in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Spec: Arms, Colossus Smash resetting, overpower being unavoidable, and not having to be enraged to use a basic rotational attack.

Talents:
    1st Tier: Juggernaut, only one worth it in the row, 3s DR'd stun on charge is no good, nor is a 40s cd if you charge back to back. 12s CD clear winner/

2nd Tier: 2nd Wind, Best healing of the three, saves you from dying from dots, doesnt have a really retarded rage cost and enrage mechanic requirement.

3rd Tier is sort of a wash, the Root was really good and didnt break on damage like all roots, until 5.2 where it now breaks now damage (BUT NOT MAGE OR DRUID or HUNTER or SHAMAN ROOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCKERS) P Howl is somewhat useful. Disrupting Shout is good for killing healers. Im going with Disrupting most often now.

4th Tier: I am hugely divided between Bladestorm and Shockwave, you sort of need the stun, but then its a 4s stun on a 40s CD and it DRs against other stuns (like a rogues 5s cheap shot on no CD or a rogues 6s Kidney Shot on a 20s CD...), so if you have a someone else with a stun I'm not sure its worth taking. Bladestorm is now unstoppable again, so I have been able to use it to finish targets where otherwise they'd have lived. Dragon Roar is bad, I know it has its proponents on this board, but at the end of the day it does less damage then 2 ice lances or 1 Obliterate or 1 Chaos Bolt and it has a 1min CD.

5th Tier: Safeguard, that + a banner macro
    #showtooltip Mocking Banner
    /target Mocking Banner
    /cast Safeguard
    /targetlasttarget
    /cast Mocking Banner
    = Root Break + Gap Closer. Far Better then the other two in this root happy game where they dont break, UNLESS ITS A WARRIOR ROOT!

6th Tier: Avatar, Strong Damage, Root Break, Long Duration, Lines up with your other CDs. Bloodbath super weak damage, applies a slow, does not line up with your other CDs. Storm Bolt ranged DR Stun that only lasts for 3s on a 30s CD.

Glyphs:
    1. Death From Above: Mandatory, you have to stay mobile.
    2. Hindering Strikes: Sort of mandatory, you need to keep the target slowed, and this allows you to do so off GCD while dealing damage.
    3. Bull Rush: Being Rage Starved quite often in 5.2 the added 15 rage on charge is helpful. More Helpful in my opinion then C Smash adding a sunder armor or Die By the sword lasting a couple more seconds.

Rotation:
    Mortal Strike and Overpower regularly, try and save rage for Slams and save slams for C Smash, use C Smash when its up and you are in a position to deal meaningful damage (if you are swapping targets in 5s dont hit it). Use Heroic Strike after a charge to add burst with MS and slow the target, but never really use it otherwise as its bad damage/rage, use it to maintain a slow if the rage is good, otherwise use hamstring to maintain the slow. You should be charging almost on CD so 1 free Heroic Strike from the charge + 1 from Rotation keeps the target slowed off GCD, but even then I still find I have to hamstring sometimes.

Stat Priority:
    Resilience (it seems to really diminish going above 60%, for DPS I am thinking maybe stopping resil around 60 and going power after that, 60/60 is better then 68/48)
    PvPower
    3% Hit/Exp cap
    Crit
    Mastery

Stances:
    Battle, you have to really. I have every Defensive Ability Macro'd to put me in D Stance now, so I can react slightly quicker, but the truth is you need to be in Battle to get enough rage to put out enough damage, and you are probably going to get cheapshot and die because of it. The alternative is sitting D Stance but not putting out enough damage to pressure them and as such you will never win. It's a really fucked up situation but hey GC wants warriors dead in pvp and replaced by rogues. Whats ya gonna do.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2013-03-08 at 04:38 PM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arms is the go-to PvP spec and as far as I know there are no guides for arms warrior PvP as I don't play one myself.

As for stat priority you'd want to gem 320+ pvp resil in yellow gems, 80 str + 160 pvp resil in red gems and 160 pvp power/160 pvp resil in blue gems. As for reforging I'm not sure. I believe arms warriors reforge both mastery and crit (again, not sure).

There isn't really a rotation for PvP, and it's kinda unbelievable people still ask for pvp "rotations". There is however always a sort of priority list you'd want to follow in certain situations etc.

I believe arms warriors try to maximize their Mortal Strike by using it on CD, while using Overpower as a sort of light pressure filler. If you're swimming in rage you'd like to use Slam as it hits quite hefty, and if you get so much rage you can't spend it (or want just that little bit more pressure) you want to use Heroic Strike. Do not that Heroic Strike is off the GCD. So it can be used whenever you want and whenever you have the rage for it. As for Colossus Smash, I think you'd want to use this ability if you need more pressure/are going to burst.

So I think it's like this:
    -Colossus Smash for extra pressure/are going to burst
    -Mortal Strike on CD
    -Slam if possible and have high rage (60+?)
    -Overpower as filler/don't have as much rage
    -Heroic Strike for extra pressure and have enough rage for it. Though I'm not sure whether it's actually viable anymore to use HS anymore in 5.2.

As for stances I'm not 100% sure. I think you want to sit in Battle Stance now because of the Slam buff and Overpower nerf and of course because of the Defensive Stance nerf. Though, when you're being pressured you'd want to go into Defensive Stance.

These are my thoughts though. Just trying to give you somewhat of an answer untill another warrior comes and help you with legit answers.

Edit: Only just noticed the post above me. I don't think this post is valid anymore ;(

Warrior pvp in 5.2 you say?
    Basicly every decent team will train the warrior and force you to stay in defensive stance and do no damage. also you can get killed aswell since 15% reduction isn't enough for the damage we lose from going into defensive stance. Warrior is the easiest target to kill if you are not in battle stance, no stun breakers, no immunities etc.

also in ptr people did try fury because you can do more things while in defensive stance, but this spec is useles because you need procs and enrage can be dispelled as well.

MS for deep wound and healing debuff, then CS for burst , then slam as much as u can and go overpower if lacking rage but still want damage.

5.2imo might be the best warrior season if blizz don't change anything.

Damage is great, good mobility,little control nerf but still decent, and good survivability as well with trade off stiff but not too bad.

Question whatever you take for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    MS for deep wound and healing debuff, then CS for burst , then slam as much as u can and go overpower if lacking rage but still want damage.

5.2imo might be the best warrior season if blizz don't change anything.

Damage is great, good mobility,little control nerf but still decent, and good survivability as well with trade off stiff but not too bad.
    Did play some 3s on PTR, I was trained all they way, couldn`t manage to use my 4 stacks of TfB because I was raged starved.
    GG, back to the wall again.

Also playstyle for Arms is a bit dull now, you got like what..3-4 abilities? 1-2-2-3-1-2-2-3 oneshot macro 1-2-2-3 deeeerp warriurz
    Rogues don't do buffs or other group things. If you want a hug ask the Paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nudle View Post
    Did play some 3s on PTR, I was trained all they way, couldn`t manage to use my 4 stacks of TfB because I was raged starved.
    GG, back to the wall again.
    Particularly with the amount of rogues running around I fear we will get focused a bit to easily now.

Played some on the PTR and shelfed it pretty fast, I quit early MoP for other reasons and though I don't like being overpowered I don't need anymore worthless warrior a-la-cataclysm experience. Overpower is a big part of the rotation, why even bother reducing the rage cost of slam if you're gonna ruin it with an insane 10 rage cost for overpower? Before I used to say I wouldn't start playing before they fix some kind of cross-realm arena but now I can add that I want overpower to cost no more than 5 rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Stat Priority:
    Resilience (it seems to really diminish going above 60%, for DPS I am thinking maybe stopping resil around 60 and going power after that, 60/60 is better then 68/48)
    PvPower
    3% Hit/Exp cap
    Crit
    Mastery
    Do you still think this is the case? I see alot of good geared warriors with +60% resilience, and they have resilience gems etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AcrobaticMegalodon View Post
    Do you still think this is the case? I see alot of good geared warriors with +60% resilience, and they have resilience gems etc.
    I made the same observation and had the same question myself. I'm finding that most of the top warriors in arena's run mostly Res gems. I only found one or two spread throughout being successful stacking a high amount of power to either even it up or go glass cannon. I by no means am a top tier warrior right now, and I am finding I have actually struggled on both accounts.

If I stack Power, I become very squishy and die quickly.

If I even the two, I find I am somewhat more survivable, but I am not eating through their health and can't quite burst them down. I find I end up dying leaving them around 10-15% (just inside execute range).

If I go all resil, I find the most success based on living the longest. This however runs into the major issue where I can't burst down a healer or burst down a DPS with a healer present.

I haven't found the formula to success myself. I'd love to see more warriors posting their experiences to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Spec: Arms, Colossus Smash resetting, overpower being unavoidable, and not having to be enraged to use a basic rotational attack.

Talents:
    1st Tier: Juggernaut, only one worth it in the row, 3s DR'd stun on charge is no good, nor is a 40s cd if you charge back to back. 12s CD clear winner/

2nd Tier: 2nd Wind, Best healing of the three, saves you from dying from dots, doesnt have a really retarded rage cost and enrage mechanic requirement.

3rd Tier is sort of a wash, the Root was really good and didnt break on damage like all roots, until 5.2 where it now breaks now damage (BUT NOT MAGE OR DRUID or HUNTER or SHAMAN ROOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCKERS) P Howl is somewhat useful. Disrupting Shout is good for killing healers. Im going with Disrupting most often now.

4th Tier: I am hugely divided between Bladestorm and Shockwave, you sort of need the stun, but then its a 4s stun on a 40s CD and it DRs against other stuns (like a rogues 5s cheap shot on no CD or a rogues 6s Kidney Shot on a 20s CD...), so if you have a someone else with a stun I'm not sure its worth taking. Bladestorm is now unstoppable again, so I have been able to use it to finish targets where otherwise they'd have lived. Dragon Roar is bad, I know it has its proponents on this board, but at the end of the day it does less damage then 2 ice lances or 1 Obliterate or 1 Chaos Bolt and it has a 1min CD.

5th Tier: Safeguard, that + a banner macro
    #showtooltip Mocking Banner
    /target Mocking Banner
    /cast Safeguard
    /targetlasttarget
    /cast Mocking Banner
    = Root Break + Gap Closer. Far Better then the other two in this root happy game where they dont break, UNLESS ITS A WARRIOR ROOT!

6th Tier: Avatar, Strong Damage, Root Break, Long Duration, Lines up with your other CDs. Bloodbath super weak damage, applies a slow, does not line up with your other CDs. Storm Bolt ranged DR Stun that only lasts for 3s on a 30s CD.

Glyphs:
    1. Death From Above: Mandatory, you have to stay mobile.
    2. Hindering Strikes: Sort of mandatory, you need to keep the target slowed, and this allows you to do so off GCD while dealing damage.
    3. Bull Rush: Being Rage Starved quite often in 5.2 the added 15 rage on charge is helpful. More Helpful in my opinion then C Smash adding a sunder armor or Die By the sword lasting a couple more seconds.

Rotation:
    Mortal Strike and Overpower regularly, try and save rage for Slams and save slams for C Smash, use C Smash when its up and you are in a position to deal meaningful damage (if you are swapping targets in 5s dont hit it). Use Heroic Strike after a charge to add burst with MS and slow the target, but never really use it otherwise as its bad damage/rage, use it to maintain a slow if the rage is good, otherwise use hamstring to maintain the slow. You should be charging almost on CD so 1 free Heroic Strike from the charge + 1 from Rotation keeps the target slowed off GCD, but even then I still find I have to hamstring sometimes.

Stat Priority:
    PvPower
    3% Hit/Exp cap
    Crit
    Mastery

Stances:
    Battle, you have to really. I have every Defensive Ability Macro'd to put me in D Stance now, so I can react slightly quicker, but the truth is you need to be in Battle to get enough rage to put out enough damage, and you are probably going to get cheapshot and die because of it. The alternative is sitting D Stance but not putting out enough damage to pressure them and as such you will never win. It's a really fucked up situation but hey GC wants warriors dead in pvp and replaced by rogues. Whats ya gonna do.
    hate rogues/casters

Deleted
    I dont play pvp anymore. I used to play 2v2 arenas in 5.1 but now if u fight against dk or rogue its a gg, so...

We are definitely not as strong, however we can still function. My biggest grief is a general lacking of rage. I can understand the concern of our damage being too good in d-stance, but I can't seem to generate enough rage in even battle stance to do slams with the 10 rage OP now.

Deleted
    Sensei Reckful explains it for 5.1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEY4_R60PkE

Resilience scales slightly less good this patch but it's still very strong compared to pvp power.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah Resil mathed out to still be better. Which is kind of crazy in my mind, but yeah 68/48 is better.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I dont play arenas for more than 1.8 cap. All i play are RBGs as FC cause noone wants Warrior as DD/TC :/
    And on 2 maps Mines/Orbs i go fury and blow shit up 430k hp+67% resi and u can survive allot .
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Quote Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
    Well I dont play arenas for more than 1.8 cap. All i play are RBGs as FC cause noone wants Warrior as DD/TC :/
    And on 2 maps Mines/Orbs i go fury and blow shit up 430k hp+67% resi and u can survive allot .
    haha i'm doing this now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorUndead View Post
    haha i'm doing this now.
    The truly sad part is that Warrior FC isn't good at the high end.

Running Double DK and having one of them go blood for the flag map is superior to having a rather useless prot warrior or arms warrior on the other maps. Prot really isnt good at defending a node since you dont have a pet, and really can only defend until 20s after you trinket. Mage runs up, deep-sheep, you have to trinket unless you manage to reflect the deep (ive done it) then reflect or immune the sheep (yep done that too); and even if you manage that hes coming back in 20s to do it again. As opposed to a DK or Hunter, who has a pet to stop him from capping, and could possibly win the 1v1, which as a prot war, yeah you aint killing a mage. At least not a good one.

Then you have maps like AB where we used to send Prot War and Healer to go hold down BS, but the joke is you send DK healer and the DK can solo the other teams healer! Then either CC or kill the warrior. Which causes your team to then have to cut someone off from the Main Fight to go help or lose it. So I have been playing Arms now on non FC maps, but I cant compete with casters or DKs on damage or utlity, even reckstorming on GG Vortex, I am gimping my team by being on it as a warrior.

And then even if you are dead set on having a Traditional FC, Guardian is arguably better now then Prot after the shockwave nerf. Especially on maps where you dont need a FC, as feral is quite competent at the 1v1 base steal.

Everyone is still convinced that warriors will be balanced/powerful this season. Anyone who's played on the PTR knows that this season is going to be just as bad as if not worse than 4.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Everyone is still convinced that warriors will be balanced/powerful this season. Anyone who's played on the PTR knows that this season is going to be just as bad as if not worse than 4.3.
    This. I said awhile ago (either on this board or the official ones, can't remember now...) that if we went back to our season 11 state (i.e. not worth our spot in arenas/RBGs) then I will use my mage for pvp. Why? Because no matter how many times Blizzard claims they are going to calm down mages, they won't. Why keep swimming upstream when I have a motorboat?

Just like another poster pointed out above, our snares = weaker than anything any other class brings, our stuns = weaker than anything any other class brings, and when we are forced to go defensive we sacrifice more than any other class to do so, to the point where warriors put out almost zero damage while defensive.

Rogue? Don't even want to list all the defensive/escape tools they have, but none of them come at much of a damage sacrifice. DKs/rets both can go defensive andself-heal, second wind is a joke compared to the healing output those two are capable of. This game has become a joke to try and play a warrior seriously, as any other class has an easier time doing what a warrior can do, and is also, in most cases, more effective at it.

Warrior pride aside, this class is sad, completely sad.