looking for an affordable but decent video card.

I recently bought a new pc and the only thing according to the reviews that it is lacking is a decent video card. I have been out of building computers for quite a long time and I'm sort of out of touch with my understandings of hardware with the newer cards out now. My price maximum is about $150. If anyone could suggest a good video card I would really appreciate it. I'm trying to gear up for the release of ESO.

The computer I bought - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cyberpower...-Wind/17811825

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably your best bet would be a GeForce 650ti. They run from 130-160. If you can splurge, a 7850 for about 170 would be good too.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...SI-650TI1&c=CJ

I'm not sure what system requirements ESO has (they say its made for both 'new and old' systems, but we all know thats BS), however running a brand new game on those specs... might be a little rough.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Your best bet for TESO, which is believed to be released by the end of the year is actually to wait for the next generation of video cards. Maybe your financial situation will have improved so much you will have a much higher budget to work with. TESO is confirmed to support multicore technology so saving up for a 8350 or similar would also be advisable. In other words: Save your money and wait for the actual release and then build/upgrade whatever is needed to max it out.

I don't see the point in spending hundreds on a card when atm I have an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT that can run Skyrim on high graphics at 30-35 FPS with just shadows turned off. I think higher dollar cards are just overkill. So I think I'll check out the first suggestion. I might buy my cousins card that he paid $350 for last year. It's in perfect condition still but the guy buys a new rig every year and spends $2000-$3000 every time. So a lot of times I'll buy parts off of him for cheap. But if that doesn't work out I think the first suggestion looks pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darknessxpersists View Post
    I don't see the point in spending hundreds on a card when atm I have an Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT that can run Skyrim on high graphics at 30-35 FPS with just shadows turned off. I think higher dollar cards are just overkill. So I think I'll check out the first suggestion. I might buy my cousins card that he paid $350 for last year. It's in perfect condition still but the guy buys a new rig every year and spends $2000-$3000 every time. So a lot of times I'll buy parts off of him for cheap. But if that doesn't work out I think the first suggestion looks pretty good.

9500 gt? So what is high graphics to you? 1080p? max settings? a 650ti a budget gpu, is far greater then your gpu. Anyway he should get a 650ti for budget, but imo if he has a couple more dollars to spend maybe a 7870 or gtx 660.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

Well just agreed to buy an Nvidia GTX 285 from my cousin for $120. He bought 2 so he'd have a backup and hasn't used it longer than a few hours so it's in pretty damn beautiful condition. Been sitting in the box for 2 years untouched.

Well just agreed to buy an Nvidia GTX 285 from my cousin for $120. He bought 2 so he'd have a backup and hasn't used it longer than a few hours so it's in pretty damn beautiful condition. Been sitting in the box for 2 years untouched.
    Bad idea. The GTX650ti which was recommended to you is 10-30% faster depending on game, eats 100W less power, is much quieter and cooler AND comes with full warranty.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    imo if you can still cancel your deal with your cousin buy a 650ti for about 40$ more give or take, over twice the performance, the 285 is pretty old right now.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.6GHZ | Nvidia GTX 1080 ASUS STRIX OC | MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 5 | 16GB Cosair Vengence 2400 | 128GB Vertex 4 |3TB Seagate Barracuda | AX750 | Cooler Master Storm Enforcer | H110I Extreme Cooler | ASUS VS229H-P Black 21.5 IPS | AOC 1080p | Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Logitech g600 | Sennheiser HD558

Deleted
    Is GTX460 a good option?

Well looking at it I just realized I'd have to get a new PSU with his card as well since it requires 550w minimum. the PSU in the system is only 500w. But with such low wattage I'd want to upgrade it anyway.

Get Nvidia GT650ti or Radeon 7850, both are in/near your price range and will work fine with the PSU you have.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Ok well the card coming in the system is an Nvidia Geforce GT 610. Can anyone tell me how good that card is? I'm honestly completely lost in all of this.

The GT 610 is about 8-9 times slower than a GTX 650ti.

Deleted
    Ok well the card coming in the system is an Nvidia Geforce GT 610. Can anyone tell me how good that card is? I'm honestly completely lost in all of this.
    Its a terrible card, if you are looking into that price range i would honestly just save up for a while and get a card from 650ti or up. It have 48 cuda cores in comparison to the 768 of the 650ti.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2013-03-14 at 01:37 PM.

Deleted
    I think your cousin is trying to make a quick buck on you!

All jokes aside, some great suggestions have been made in here. I would advice against the GT610.

Yeah thinking I'm just going to go with what you guys suggested. My cousins card would just be overkill. And would end up costing me a lot more since I'd have to get a PSU to go with it. I mean like I said I'm running with a 9500 GT 1gig and I get an average of 30-35 FPS on WoW at all times with the settings in the picture. Except in raids but that's because of my crappy processor. The Geforce website says that the 650 Ti get's an average of 60fps with WoW's settings on medium so even on high it would be a massive improvement for me.

---------- Post added 2013-03-14 at 09:58 AM ----------

The Ground Clutter on good and the low Shadows is more of a preference thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah thinking I'm just going to go with what you guys suggested. My cousins card would just be overkill. And would end up costing me a lot more since I'd have to get a PSU to go with it. I mean like I said I'm running with a 9500 GT 1gig and I get an average of 30-35 FPS on WoW at all times with the settings in the picture. Except in raids but that's because of my crappy processor. The Geforce website says that the 650 Ti get's an average of 60fps with WoW's settings on medium so even on high it would be a massive improvement for me.
    ]http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a430/khailik/Settings.jpg[
    ---------- Post added 2013-03-14 at 09:58 AM ----------

[/COLOR]The Ground Clutter on good and the low Shadows is more of a preference thing.
    Quick note, your resolution is obviously really low. Also the 650ti gets around 60 fps on that website probably running at 1080. So if your not planning on getting a new monitor, it should perform even better at lower resolutions, though the resolution settings impact your cpu the most.

Also, a 650ti only uses around 110 watts so a 500w power supply is more then enough. A 285 uses double the power of a 650ti for about half the performance and old tech.

also a 650ti is about 5x greater or more then a 9500gt. What cpu are you using anyway?

Edit: i see your using a fx 4100, its old but not horrible. So a gpu upgrade at this point would help a lot from a 9500 gt

Yeah my monitor is a 26" HD tv lol

That gtx 285 is not overkill compared to the gtx650ti, the last benchmark I looked at clocked the 650ti at about 2x better than the gtx 285.

At your resolution I would imagine you will have absolutely no problem maxing out Ultra across the board with the 650Ti, unless you end up capping out your CPU.

You won't be disappointed getting the 650Ti.
    Last edited by lordmatthias; 2013-03-14 at 07:40 PM.

Yeah I just ordered it lol. Hope it get's here at the same time as my new system.