Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Where do you think we will be technologically in 50 years?

Title says it all.

Where do you think, technologically speaking, we will be within the next 50 years? Since technology grows exponentially, and we have already advanced more in the last 50 years than we had in the previous ~5000, where does our future lie in the next 50?
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Adam Jensen will be a technological possibility

Man will be on Mars, but FTL has not yet been achieved

Many diseases that plague us now will be cured or easily treated

Our lifespans will be greatly increased due to our understanding of medicine, genetics (specifically, telomeres) and transhumanism.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I would give transhumanism a bit longer than 50 years, but we would be getting close.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    I would give transhumanism a bit longer than 50 years, but we would be getting close.
    I didn't mean to say full transhumanism would be possible, but we are at an infancy level of transhumanism right now.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    I would hope our tech at that point would take us to a greater understanding of the Earth before another planetary body. It seems we know about the whole of the Moon more than we know about our own oceans.

Instead of Mars, I feel that fully exploring the ocean floor would be more beneficial to us as a whole. Once we have a FULL understanding of our own world, I believe it will help us better shape the other worlds around us.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    With the uncertain pace of technological growth (could slow down due to any number of theoretical barriers or leap forward dozens of times faster than anyone would expect due to some unexpected discover that changes everything), I have no idea, and anything I could put forth would just be a pure guess.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    You like deus ex dont you Jensen?

I agree though, i think that in 50 years it will look alot like the deus ex world.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Since technology grows exponentially
    So far yes but the trend doesn't necassarily remain so in the future. One hurdle we're about to face really soon is the end of growth for silicon based chips. If we don't come up with something else before that then our technology will more or less stagnate for some period of time. I'd like to be optimistic but I'm not so sure we'll master something like quantum computers within 50 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    So far yes but the trend doesn't necassarily remain so in the future. One hurdle we're about to face really soon is the end of growth for silicon based chips. If we don't come up with something else before that then our technology will more or less stagnate for some period of time. I'd like to be optimistic but I'm not so sure we'll master something like quantum computers within 50 years.
    I was talking tech in general, not just computer based ones. And while it is true that we have been using silicon based chips for a while, I feel we will see quite a bit of use out of them for several years to come. I am sure that the thought is out there, and we will likely see the next chip base relatively shortly.

I will be cursing the wrath babies in wow...still

For me, I really don't know, but I hope we come up with a new way of computing (quantum). Also the ability to cure diseases cheaply and effectively.

Off topic: There are some great books on this. I would recommend Michio Kaku's Physics of The Future. Really good read, his other books are also well done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just did a quick google, and carbon seems to be the next silicon so far.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...nanotubes.html

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywongg View Post
    For me, I really don't know, but I hope we come up with a new way of computing (quantum). Also the ability to cure diseases cheaply and effectively.

Off topic: There are some great books on this. I would recommend Michio Kaku's Physics of The Future. Really good read, his other books are also well done.
    From what I have read, quantum processing is an unlikely next step, at least for your everyday PC chip. They have said that it would mostly be used for things relating to cryptology.

10+ Year Old Account
    screw carbon lets work on quantum computers
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

After the nukes drop I say we will be back to stone age technology.

The only thing I know for sure is that it won't be where people are predicting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    The only thing I know for sure is that it won't be where people are predicting it.
    Can't even be sure of that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Can't even be sure of that. :P
    Well... maybe not, but I feel like it's a safe bet that we'll either overshoot or undershoot the target

We'll have holodeck VR technology for our MMOs, yet will still get "out of range" errors on things right in our face.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is possible that we could have small colonies on the moon. Then again I am sort of a dreamer :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

if it's like the last 50 years we have no idea what tech will be in 50 years. the things we might think are around the corner frequently arent (i still want my fucking flying car dammit), while things we didnt even conceive of will come almost out of nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.