Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anyone else playing Hardcore any more

So who else still plays hardcore?

Paragon level 2, MP 1 Inferno Act1 so far on my barb, still loving hardcore. Not very easy to sell stuff, though, even items I see would sell fine in softcore I just salvage.

The thrill is still there! The fun of taking down an elite pack of vortex molten arcane enchanted shielding/avenger whatever combos is as exciting as always.

I find the economy as annoying as ever. Needing to stay alive forces people into narrower and narrower builds, so only items fitting a couple of builds a class will sell. Find a great trifecta/primary stat rolls pair of gloves? Too bad, no vit, no AR, no +armor, won't get any gold for it.

And then you sink the 250 million you managed to farm into your WD and get promptly slain by the server. Hard life.

Hardcore is great.

You can never relax really.

You know ... When you return to softcore again after a few hours on your Hardcore character, you are in kind of relaxed transe cruise mode.

It is after returning to SC, you suddenly know HC makes D3 a fabulous experience.

I can only stand in awe for those who made it to paragon 100 in hardcore already.

I'll stop at lvl 60 and Paragon 10.

10+ Year Old Account
    I left my hardcore character when my mate died on his. Hardcore seems to be a ton more fun
    when playing with other people.

I don't really enjoy the hardcore that much tho. You just end up being a pussy and not taking any
    fights that has even the smallest chance to get you killed.

Absolutely.
    Hardcore is the only at least somewhat challenging environment to play in d3.

Sadly, I don't have stable internet connection in my current home. I killed diablo on inferno on hardcore 5+ times, but every time I began farming, my character died before I was able to farm him enough gear to survive disconnects.
    Best result so far - mp12 or so, which is basically nothing.

AH on hardcore is much better than on softcore. You can't buy insane gear for nothing. Any at least somewhat good items are worth millions. For example you can buy immortal kings boots for 50k on softcore by bidding it, but on hardcore its guaranteed to be worth 20+ million on hardcore.
    The gold is more valuable as well, which means that the hour of your farming is much more valuable as well.
    The market is slower, but you earn money several times faster on hardcore because you can sell items that would never sell on softcore.

Hardcore is amazing, I would never play softcore, but without stable connection its just impossible ;(

working my way up there! lvl 51 monk

will put lvling on hold over the weekend tho, gotta finnish HoTs :3
    I like my coffe like my mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. I just recently picked up Diablo 3 again and immediately went straight to HC. Sporting a Plvl 7 Barbarian at the moment, and loving it. Red#2506 if you'd like to play together. I'm EUR by the way. ;-)
    Armory
    Twitter
    Altered-Time.com - the #1 Mage Theorycrafting community.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still amazed at the price differences in hardcore. I knew they'd be higher, but not that high. A crafting pattern that is 400g on softcore is tens of thousands on hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I'm still amazed at the price differences in hardcore. I knew they'd be higher, but not that high. A crafting pattern that is 400g on softcore is tens of thousands on hardcore.
    Welcome to the bot-free game

And the amount of items sold on AH is just enough to be able to buy upgrades, but not enough to drop prices to the ground like it happened with softcore AH.

You feel that the time you spend farming is much more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post

And the amount of items sold on AH is just enough to be able to buy upgrades, but not enough to drop prices to the ground like it happened with softcore AH.

You forgot that a lot of higher gear is destroyed when your avatar dies ...

That's at least 50% of the cause.

But yes, the real money involved influences the softcore version. The RMAH was a good experiment but my guess is that Blizzard will take the wrong conclusion by no longer introducing it in their next games.

I still think a RMAH could work but ONLY for fluff and basic mats, not for gear as such, something EVE uses to buy playing time. I came to the conclusion that D3 limited gear chase is too small to allow for a core RMAH, while a full fledged MMO could use it in SOME parts, like extensive crafting mats etc...

Just an idea: to catch up in WoW some crafted gear could be subject of RMAH, but it would still be around 1.5 to 2 points behind the latest Tier gear.

All wishful thinking, since Blizzard will drop the RMAH in other games I guess. Too sad.

I like it, but D3 is too limited to show its full potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
    Indeed. I just recently picked up Diablo 3 again and immediately went straight to HC. Sporting a Plvl 7 Barbarian at the moment, and loving it. Red#2506 if you'd like to play together. I'm EUR by the way. ;-)
    Sorry, I'm US .

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Some other things are much cheaper. Patterns may be expensive but I've found gear tends to be very cheap and gems tend to be very expensive. Stuff I see sell on Softcore for 500k - 1m sell for 50k here.

Quote Originally Posted by traen View Post

It's also the lack of RMAH. Gold can only be made through farming in the game and selling the useful items on the AH, not selling 75m packs of gold for $10 that virtually anyone can afford. Not that people set the right prices at times; I saw a level 15 legendary with a buyout of 800,000,000 gold despite better non-legendary rares right next to it for like 3k.

Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    I left my hardcore character when my mate died on his. Hardcore seems to be a ton more fun
    when playing with other people.

I don't really enjoy the hardcore that much tho. You just end up being a pussy and not taking any
    fights that has even the smallest chance to get you killed.
    I don't see that happening with me and I'm in Act3 Inferno. Just have to have the right build, resists, armor, and damage.

What mp lvl you runnin in hardcore?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Some other things are much cheaper. Patterns may be expensive but I've found gear tends to be very cheap and gems tend to be very expensive. Stuff I see sell on Softcore for 500k - 1m sell for 50k here.
    Depends on the itemization. Hardcore players need to worry about their survival which pretty much tunnels them into very specific builds. I had a great roll of trifecta gloves with high int on them and I got like 3 million, would've gone for 100+ on SC at the time...no vit? no AR? complete garbage in the eyes of hardcore players.

You also have to remember that hardcore players will die and have to spend more gold on new gear, the amount of wealth on average for hardcore players is likely way smaller (and the community is also way smaller) so people can't afford to spend as much on items. Is an item worth 150 million? Maybe. Can people spend that much on one item? No; so it won't sell higher than 20 mil.

On the other hand, niche items like popular class sets are extremely overpriced. You can get a set of rares that can handle mp2-3 for the same price as one piece of Zuni. This is also kind of true of SC, but it's more because there is such an extreme volume of these rares that they aren't worth anything.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-03-17 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    What mp lvl you runnin in hardcore?
    None. Well, I'm going to change it to MP1 now that I just killed Diablo in Inferno, hardcore (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Darsithis-1572/).

Grats on the kill, always a tough fight.

One thing you may wanna look into is overpower-crushing advance in place of ignore pain. Much better uptime (8sec cd, 4 sec duration), when your crit is high enough you can keep up constantly. You also get a pally bubble (lowers fps but looks cool).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Grats on the kill, always a tough fight.

One thing you may wanna look into is overpower-crushing advance in place of ignore pain. Much better uptime (8sec cd, 4 sec duration), when your crit is high enough you can keep up constantly. You also get a pally bubble (lowers fps but looks cool).
    Does that reduce all damage types or just physical?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Does that reduce all damage types or just physical?
    Anything that will damage you

Redirect = Reduces damage and does damage
    Reduce = Only reduces damage
    Reflect = Reflects damage

I try sit in molten, arcane and plague just to do more dps. 30% for being a barb + 35% for crushing advance + armor resists = godmode. I think i did the math one night and an attk that deals 100 damage would only do like 20 damage.

It used to work with loh making you invincible, i think they lowered proc rate but life leech still works fine.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/C...8/hero/2511178

What i run on mine, i do like mp7 very sloppy and dont die. Hota smash is amazing (hits twice), very helpful when there are only one or two left (more so with runners). Huge damage on leech = just hold the button Id maybe swap out provocation (rend is enough if close, provo is to nrg dependant and has hidden cd), much more useful with hota nuke ability, if you need aoe control just just rolling thunder. 275% to everything in front of you.
    Last edited by chadwix; 2013-03-19 at 03:20 AM.

I quit d3 and switched over to path of exile. Never looked back.

Deleted
    Nooo this game is grindy and tedious as is, why would I want to risk losing all the progress?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Nooo this game is grindy and tedious as is, why would I want to risk losing all the progress?
    No going back...the thrill of risking it all is what makes it a challenge, I think, and why I enjoy it.