Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

How is GW2 without..

Dedicated roles? (Ie healer, tank)

"End-Game" content? (Raids etc)

Gear grinding? (Grinding, crafting, raiding for best gear in game)

Mounts?

None scaling enemies?

The only MMO I have truly stuck to and loved every minute was Rift. I am getting a new laptop next week so I can't try out any mmo's currently around, so I'm asking questions while I wait :-) The othe mmo's I'm considering is Tera and possibly going back to Rift.

Are the things I listed a brush of fresh air? The two things that worry me a little are the no dedicated class and end game content/loot. I've just been watching IGN's and Gametrailer video review on GW2 and it looks epic!

Thanks in advance.

Gw2 without dedicatd roles is dps with support options.

Gw2 has all end game content standard games have besides excluding traditional raids. Non traditional raids are guild missions and group dynamic events. If you play a game just for raids something wrong with you

Gw2 has a gear grind if you want to do that you can do the whole game in masterwork gear (cheap ass gear) though and do fine.

Thank god mounts don't exist

All enemies scale I don't understand.

The game is more action/twitch based. The lack of hard defined roles makes combat more superficially "chaotic". Though lack of a dedicated healer/tanks is of no real impact on gameplay. Everyone can heal, CC, kite, rez, provide boons, et cetera. It's just not a real issue- Guild Wars 2 plays like a true action game.

Every class is basically "DPS with options".

There is no endgame content in any of the five Guild Wars games. There are no raids either. Only dungeons and open world content.

There are no mounts in any of the five Guild Wars games.

There is no required gear grind in any of the five Guild Wars games. Guild Wars 2 has optional legendary weapons which are a steep grind, but no content is gated or balanced as such.

There is also a progressive system called Ascended Gear which is lateral/side-upgrade gear specific ton only 1 mode of the game; a series of mini dungeons called "fractals".

Enemies scale in level by zones. Events scale by participation.

Guild Wars 2 is quite different from Rift and Tera. The only real similarities is pressing the 1 through = keys, WASD movement and progressive levels. Basic gameplay, design and goals of Guild Wars 2 are rather different from both games.

If a tiered, raid centric endgame is important- then stay with Rift. Guild Wars 2 offers nothing of the sort.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-14 at 08:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Gw2 without dedicatd roles is dps with support options.

Gw2 has all end game content standard games have besides excluding traditional raids. Non traditional raids are guild missions and group dynamic events. If you play a game just for raids something wrong with you

Gw2 has a gear grind if you want to do that you can do the whole game in masterwork gear (cheap ass gear) though and do fine.

Thank god mounts don't exist

All enemies scale I don't understand.
    No need to get defensive .. I really think this game is for me, I just have to be sure. ;-) what I mean by level scaling is: enemies that are from a starting zone don't stay the level they were when you fought them at level 1 they scale with your level.. Meaning go back to first area at level cap a things are still challenging.

If you play a game just for raids something wrong with you.
    "If you play an mmo for large group content something is wrong with you." ?!

Sure GW2 has other large group content, but most MMOs (massive multiplayer online) have raids and a couple pvp battlegrounds and that is it for large scale group content. There is nothing wrong with playing a large scale group game for large scale group content.

Dedicated roles? - Chaotic and zergy unless you are playing with a specific group of players that you run with all the time. If you get a small group going, it works out fairly well. I still think they could do more to make some of the classes stand out a bit better, specifically the weapon abilities, and I think the Trait system could use a big overhaul.

"End-Game" content? - To me, its fine, but I never really was big into raids, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Gear grinding? - If you are constantly wanting to grind gear, then I would say this might be a turn-off. To me, I like that I can build up a character and then just play the game, knowing that I don't have to grind X to get the next tier (For now. They chose to sneak Ascended gear into game, so I wouldn't be surprised if they add future tiers as well).

Mounts? - Generally you don't notice it, since there are plenty of waypoints per zone, though I do wish there were more ways to boost your non-combat movement.

Non-scaling enemies? - Pretty good, overall. You still feel more powerful, as you are still gaining new abilities and you get better stats on gear, etc, but it allows you to go back and replay any events you enjoyed and still have fun. This is especially important if a friend joins the game when you are L40+, for example, since you can play with them using the character you want and aren't forced to roll a new character.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis12 View Post
    what I mean by level scaling is: enemies that are from a starting zone don't stay the level they were when you fought them at level 1 they scale with your level.. Meaning go back to first area at level cap a things are still challenging.
    This is not how it works in Guild Wars 2. May have gotten wrong information.

Enemies are scaled in level by zone. Level 1-15 zone, for example. However, PLAYER LEVEL scales down to the level of an area.

That is to say if a player is actually level 80 but visits a level 1-15 zone that player will still retain his gear, skills, traits, etc as an 80. Though their overall stats will be lowered to the relative 1-15 zone.

An 80 level player in a low level zone is still quite strong. Much more so than an actual level 1-15 player in that newbie zone. Though that level 80 player will not be so powerful as to one shot events or obliterate an entire zone. For example.

It works just like down scaling in Rift, Everquest, Aion, etc. Only in Guild Wars 2 the process is automatic rather than player choice. Works the same in all other regards to Rift though.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-14 at 09:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is not how it works in Guild Wars 2. May have gotten wrong information.

Enemies are scaled in level by zone. Level 1-15 zone, for example. However, PLAYER LEVEL scales down to the level of an area.

That is to if a player is actually level 80 but visits a level 1-15 zone that player will still retain his gear, skills, traits, etc as an 80. Though their overall stats will be lowered to the relative 1-15 zone.

An 80 level player in a low level zone is still quite strong. Much more so than an actual level 1-15 player in that newbie zone. Though that level 80 player will not be so powerful as to one shot events or obliterate an entire zone. For example.

It works just like down scaling in Rift, Everquest, Aion, etc. Only in Guild Wars 2 the process is automatic rather than player choice. Works the same in all other regards to Rift though.
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me that sounds a lot better then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Fencers covered it pretty well, its a different experience from Rift. Its a very good casual game, you can get invested in it, but the grind is minimal unless you opt to farm Dungeons for the looks on the sets, and the Ascended gear thats being introduced (although it really isnt that much more powerful than exotics). Or trying to get a legendary.

I have nothing but negative things to say about GW2 was one of the people that was most excited about it and was really disappointed when I played it. It has nothing that is better than in WoW imo except questing is a little more fun and crafting.

If you play a game just for raids something wrong with you
    Well I'm fucking sorry that people have different opinions than you. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with us.

10+ Year Old Account
    the level scaling is a pain when trying for 100% map completion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    the level scaling is a pain when trying for 100% map completion
    I didn't think it was that bad actually; I got my warrior to complete the exploration for the normal world but after finding out I had to do the pvp stuff... and have my world do it successfully was when I stopped.

Deleted
    If you play a game just for raids something wrong with you.
    I have an issue with that statement.

For me nothing comes close in gaming to the engaging nature of big raids. You might not like them because your experience has been tarnished by the nature of WoW PuGs/LFR raids but that doesn't change the fact that well designed raid content is some of the most thrilling MMO content there is.

As for the OP's questions:

Now roles is really not that different. Picture it like everyone playing a DPS role in a WoW dungeon, except more forgiving. It's a bit more chaotic and "messy" at times but still fun and engaging. There just isn't quite the tactical depth and team dynamics as there is in WoW. So ultimately it feels a bit shallower.

You could argue that you still grind for gear, just for different reasons. Yes, exotic gear is fairly easy to obtain but requires a significant amount of Karma, Gold or Badges. It's true however that it can be obtained fairly quickly. Ascended gear is where it starts getting grindy but that's purely optional. Collecting a visually appealing set however might easily cost you more time which is fine considering it's cosmetic.

Mounts really don't have a place in GW2 as the waypoint system minimizes the amount of walking you'll ever have to do. You won't miss them and neither does the game.

Enemies don't scale...but you do (at least downwards). And that's as excellent feature as it keeps much more content relevant to you. In my book anyway overpowering outdated content was never a very appealing aspect of RPG leveling systems so for me it only has upsides.

Guild Wars 2 is a 40 dollar investment and no commitment beyond that. There's really no chance you won't be getting your moneys worth from buying the game and giving it a shot. It's really quite compelling and even worth it if you don't reach max. level.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played Guild Wars 2 off and on from release to now. I complained about not having a queing or role system in place for dungeons. But you know...there's gw2lfg.com that took the light out of my day! I tried my first dungeon and let me tell you, they're challenging! Even for level 80's! I LOVE the fact that old dungeon scale with level and the rewards go along with your real level! I was having so much fun and it's hard for someone that's spend the past 11-12 years playing MMOs. The best thing too, your loot is your own in the dungeons and you don't just get one item from a boss like in WoW, you get loot from the boss as well as loot from a chest!

I probably didn't answer your question thoroughly, but let me tell you, GW2 is a breath of fresh air for me personally.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

10+ Year Old Account
    Dedicated roles?
    It's not, it doesn't have role-dedicated classes or specilizations. Most classes and weapon types come with healing, support, damage, and defensive capabilities. Some favor one more than others; ie: a shield has more defense, support, and healing than DPS.

A lot like other games. You farm, or you reroll. That's pretty much how any game works really.

I personally feel that GW2 has a pretty harsh gear grind, but this is mostly due to the way dungeons are totally different without the trinity and a solid aggro system.

Mounts?
    Fine really. Zones aren't so tremendously large as to make them necessary, and there are tons of waypoints for easy porting to and from. A lot of classes have weapon or skill-based run-speed buffs too, but unfortunately not all.

None scaling enemies?
    Not a feature I ever really enjoyed. Getting my butt handed to me by a level 25 mudcrab ain't fun yo.

The only MMO I have truly stuck to and loved every minute was Rift. I am getting a new laptop next week so I can't try out any mmo's currently around, so I'm asking questions while I wait :-) The othe mmo's I'm considering is Tera and possibly going back to Rift.

Are the things I listed a brush of fresh air? The two things that worry me a little are the no dedicated class and end game content/loot. I've just been watching IGN's and Gametrailer video review on GW2 and it looks epic!

Thanks in advance.
    The nice part to GW2 and Tera, is that unlike subscription MMOs like WoW or Rift, there's a much lower demand to accomplish something RIGHT NOW, because if you don't you might have to wait for a reset that would be in the next subscription period. I think GW2 has done well in providing a game that doesn't DEMAND you play it RIGHT NOW. I don't think this has worked out as well for TERA.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Thanks for all the input guys. This is the result of a poll with 119 votes:

What game would you choose from the 3 below?
    Rift - 37.8%
    Tera - 21.8%
    Guild Wars 2 - 40.3%
    Based on 119 votes.

Looks like GW2 just got first position, but a lot of people were leaning towards Tera in comments. I'll have a real think about this and see what happens next week.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could just do both, GW2 to me is such an easy game to drop at any point it really doesn't matter, it has very little to keep me coming back I just log in as and when I please. It fits around my WoW schedule just fine. And none of those things are a breath of fresh air at all, they are just average at best, unless you like a minimal end game with blatant gear grinding.

Deleted
    No need to get defensive .. I really think this game is for me, I just have to be sure. ;-) what I mean by level scaling is: enemies that are from a starting zone don't stay the level they were when you fought them at level 1 they scale with your level.. Meaning go back to first area at level cap a things are still challenging.
    no, you understood wrong, the enemies remain their own level, it's your character that gets downscaled. And this makes those enemies still challenging somewhat. Yes, I admit, when you're level 7 a level 7 enemy is going to be medium challenge on its own, and when you're level 70 and downscaled you'll need a pack of level 7 enemies to pose a challenge, since 1 will be easy to down (because of skills, experience and talents aquired and how gear downscaling works), but you won't be able to gather a whole zone of enemies and kill them and champions even from low level zones will pose a significant threat even if you're level 80 if you're alone.

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 03:07 PM ----------

OP, also remember that this game doesn't have a subscription, you buy it then you can play it forever. Also, Tera if I remember right you don't even need to buy anymore, it's free to play, right? So same there even without box cost. I would suggest you try Tera first, because it's free, and by the time you're done maybe there will be a trial for GW2 too (they will probably make one after 1 year from launch the most) and try GW2 too, and then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by alemaite View Post
    I have nothing but negative things to say about GW2 was one of the people that was most excited about it and was really disappointed when I played it. It has nothing that is better than in WoW imo except questing is a little more fun and crafting.
    And may I ask why you have this opinion? With points, some explaining for each point too. Asking because I can't touch any of your points without knowing why you disliked it.

Dedicated roles? (Ie healer, tank)

Mounts?

None scaling enemies?
    There might not be any dedicated roles, but there is a best setup, if you want to run dungeons fast and efficiently you use 1 guardian (acts as the tank with a high toughness build), 1 Mesmer (used to buff the warrior damaged and add some utility) and then 3 warriors.

Similar to a trinity in other games, the guardian is the anchor to provide defensive boons/reflects and agro management through toughness to relieve the pressure from the warriors, and mesmer has time warp, boon stacking, boon stripping, reflects, and other utilities to deal with the variety of encounters in dungeons, plus mesmer adds some decent damage as well. Everyone kind of needs each other for the best efficiency.

Also alot of the weapons in the game are weak, each class seems to have a few weapons that are good and the others are just weak, and end up gimping the group.

On the end game content, it is an issues, there really is very little to do at level 80. I hate spvp, world v world seems pointless to me as the ladder is fucked and we are basically stuck fighting about 6 or so different servers on rotation as we move up and down a bracket. I have done all jumping puzzles, all dungeons, need 35g to finish my legendary, high level in fractals, 3 level 80s(one done with crafting.) I don't see myself playing much once i finish my legendary, I'll just come on when they put out content patches.

On the topic of gear grinding. There is a gear grind but it aint to bad imo, if you want gear you either run 23 dungeon paths, so if u do 3 paths a day from one dungeon that's only 8 times u go to do that instance not to bad imo, get 250kish karma or buy it for like 20g. I have 3 sets of gear on my guardian and 1 on my thief and warrior, the main gear grind in the game is getting items for transmutation. In my guild must people running instances or such are doing it for gold or tokens to get gear for transmuting.

Mounts are not an issues, the most you ever run(apart from with u aint discovered a zone) is about 30s/1min as there are lots of waypoints in zones and city's. Mounts in World v world would be nice, but would ruin it.

On scaling enemies. I like it how it is, Imo at max level in the best gear you should feel power full. Even tho your toon scales down, you can still faceroll lower level mobs.

This is just my opinion after having played about 850 hours so far, but I'm playing alot less now as I'm just bored, the game still has a hell alot of problems and things that need to be improved, added, removed.

But then we goto remember its a pay once game, so I would imagine they have a much much smaller team/budget then say blizzard.
    Last edited by Oragan; 2013-03-15 at 08:29 PM.