View Poll Results: Was this guide useful to you?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    110 74.32%
  • no

    38 25.68%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
... LastLast
  1. #201
    I generally switch out the Penance glyph if I can stay planted long enough to get around it, because it seems like it hurts my mana to keep it on if I don't have to have it for movement. I admittedly am running with lowish Spirit right now because I share alot of gear with my Shadow set (9800) so as soon as I can support it I'd love to keep it on, but you say it should never be switched out. Am I overestimating the mana increase considering I use it on CD or is it viable to not use it if it's not killing me to stand still to cast it? I'm pretty good at stutter-stepping during movement to cast, but if I'm wrong it would be nice to not have to worry about that part. I could probably get similar results by using fewer Shields, but I play with a Druid - and MW on 3heal fights - so I like the way my absorbs give padding and give her HoTs time to tick while I focus on tank and atonement healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frioz View Post
    I find it to be a very common internet argument to use "all the people hate (insert whatever you hate)" therefore they should listen to all the people (just you).

  2. #202
    Quote Originally Posted by HDPriest View Post
    I generally switch out the Penance glyph if I can stay planted long enough to get around it, because it seems like it hurts my mana to keep it on if I don't have to have it for movement. I admittedly am running with lowish Spirit right now because I share alot of gear with my Shadow set (9800) so as soon as I can support it I'd love to keep it on, but you say it should never be switched out. Am I overestimating the mana increase considering I use it on CD or is it viable to not use it if it's not killing me to stand still to cast it? I'm pretty good at stutter-stepping during movement to cast, but if I'm wrong it would be nice to not have to worry about that part. I could probably get similar results by using fewer Shields, but I play with a Druid - and MW on 3heal fights - so I like the way my absorbs give padding and give her HoTs time to tick while I focus on tank and atonement healing.
    I took it off once for a fight and ended up cancelling more than half of my penances. Even if I can stand still, I'll still run around a bit for no reason. I can never play without it now lol

  3. #203
    Not using the Penance glyph is just taking away flexibility from yourself. I have around 11k spirit unbuffed right now and so far I've healed every single ToT fight on normal with no mana issues what so ever. Get some healing pieces, even if they're lower ilvl, learn to Rapture properly and you should never have any issue with the Penance glyph. In fact, if you do, I'd almost say it's to do with other parts of your play than the glyph.

    I'm even one of the unlucky ones in my raid guild when it comes to loot, still stuck at 503 with a few DPS pieces while some are nearing 520. No mana issues.

  4. #204
    Had the chance to look into the Incribed Bag of Hydra Spawn buff? It would be so sick if the absorbs benefited from mastery.

  5. #205
    What is this doing down here? There should be a disc guide for beginners at the front.

  6. #206
    Great threat! I have really enjoyed reading it and getting to know priest healing better!

    One thing I still havn't figured out yet is if Inner Will should be up all the time (accept for SS capping). To me the 10% spell power increase from Inner Fire seems awesome. Is the lower mana cost from instant spells and less spell dmg taken really better?

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-16 at 12:10 AM ----------

    Is that Weak Aura setup coming soon? As a newcomer to Priest raid healing I struggle to track my cooldowns properly!
    Great threat!

  7. #207
    Inner Will is very situational. You should be running Inner Fire as your default.

  8. #208
    @Vamor - Not 100% sure if this is up to date but it should still be pretty helpful either way http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-CODE-INCLUDED

  9. #209
    I have trouble keeping Power Word: Solace on cool down while in a boss fight since so much other stuff is going on. Is there something you guys do such as macro with another commonly used spell to help keep Power Word: Solace on cool down to realize the full mana regen benefits?

  10. #210
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    32
    Fernis I'm not at my pc atm but I'm pretty sure the macro goes something like this.

    /castsequence [nochanneling:Penance] Smite
    /cast Holy Fire

    You can just spam that button and it will cast smite without clipping penance and then cast holy fire (or solace) when it is off cd. It will then go back to spamming smite until holy fire comes off cd again.

  11. #211
    Quote Originally Posted by fernis View Post
    I have trouble keeping Power Word: Solace on cool down while in a boss fight since so much other stuff is going on. Is there something you guys do such as macro with another commonly used spell to help keep Power Word: Solace on cool down to realize the full mana regen benefits?
    Make sure you see the cooldown of your spells. After that it's just practice to be honest.

  12. #212
    High Overlord Vilbu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by fernis View Post
    I have trouble keeping Power Word: Solace on cool down while in a boss fight since so much other stuff is going on. Is there something you guys do such as macro with another commonly used spell to help keep Power Word: Solace on cool down to realize the full mana regen benefits?
    You might want to change solace for mindbender if you struggle with the cd. 1 global and in most scenarios you don't even notice the difference in mana. I am swapping between bender and solace quite a lot depending on the fight. Sometimes you just can't afford wasting a global every 10 sec for a solace.

  13. #213
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
    Fernis I'm not at my pc atm but I'm pretty sure the macro goes something like this.

    /castsequence [nochanneling:Penance] Smite
    /cast Holy Fire

    You can just spam that button and it will cast smite without clipping penance and then cast holy fire (or solace) when it is off cd. It will then go back to spamming smite until holy fire comes off cd again.
    I doubt that works. What's preventing it from just casting smite ad infinitum? That kind of "cast sequence" macro has been broken since TBC times afaik.

  14. #214
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphiramoon View Post
    I doubt that works. What's preventing it from just casting smite ad infinitum? That kind of "cast sequence" macro has been broken since TBC times afaik.
    #showtooltip Smite
    /castsequence [target=target, harm] [target=targettarget] [nochanneling:Penance] Smite
    /cast [target=target, harm] [target=targettarget] Holy Fire

    That is the macro I currently use and it works perfect as described in my original post.

  15. #215
    That seems a bit odd, certainly not working like it should from the describtion of the commands used - which would be only ever casting Smite and throwing error messages or ignoring the Holy Fire part. (Since Holy Fire is not an usable item but a spell.)
    On another note: does it allow to clip Penance with Holy Fire? Looks like it would. In fact it looks like it should only ever attempt to cast Holy Fire when you are channeling Penance.

  16. #216
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    That seems a bit odd, certainly not working like it should from the describtion of the commands used - which would be only ever casting Smite and throwing error messages or ignoring the Holy Fire part. (Since Holy Fire is not an usable item but a spell.)
    On another note: does it allow to clip Penance with Holy Fire? Looks like it would. In fact it looks like it should only ever attempt to cast Holy Fire when you are channeling Penance.
    Well I dont know what to say, maybe you need to relook at your macro writing.

    To address Holy Fire clipping Penance. The macro will always try to cast smite before holy fire therefore the logic would suggest that the nochannel part would stop it in its tracks.

    As I have said twice now it is spammable to cast smite and holy fire when it is off cooldown. I would probably say it would be faster than you could cast holy fire right after a smite without the macro. I've tried, although I'm in Australia with 200ms ping so that might just the reason.

    It pretty clearly say cast in front of holy fire so not sure where you got the idea it was dealt with as an item?

  17. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
    #showtooltip Smite
    /castsequence [target=target, harm] [target=targettarget] [nochanneling:Penance] Smite
    /cast [target=target, harm] [target=targettarget] Holy Fire

    That is the macro I currently use and it works perfect as described in my original post.
    I just tested this and it appears to actually work, which is blowing my mind right now, except for the fact it clips penance. I removed the harm/target stuff and added the nochannel rule for penance. Also I noticed the holy fire portion worked, even though I specced for Power Word: Solace (and you should try it too, if you haven't, because it's better mana if you use it on CD)

    This never missed a PW: Solace CD, and never clipped a penance that I saw.

    #showtooltip Smite
    /castsequence [nochanneling:Penance] Smite
    /cast [nochanneling:Penance] Power Word: Solace

    I'll test more tonight.

    EDIT: I just saw the flaw, it requires you to cast one smite prior to your HF/PW:Sol, which is technically not optimal for two reasons. One being you fail to get the 20% damage boost from the HF DOT if you glyphed, and second because this means you need to burn two GCDs to reach your PW:Sol which is a problem if you're trying to do some real healing and only are interested in getting your PW:Sol off for mana.

    For my part, I'm always interested in saving bar space, but the Atonement rotation was already easy enough and consumed only a few spots anyway. It was still interesting to see this work, and I might implement it on other classes I have.
    Last edited by hatchetman240; 2013-04-29 at 02:39 PM.

  18. #218
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    32
    I dont understand why people are surprised , lol

    Also I would suggest leaving Holy Fire in rather than changing it to Power Word: Solace. This way you wont have to change it for fights like Horridon where mindbender makes the mechanics abit easier when youspec out of Solace. Solace tooltip actually says it replaces Holy Fire and that extends to mention of it in macroes.
    Last edited by Sabien; 2013-04-29 at 02:49 PM.

  19. #219
    I'm shocked because rotation macros were largely removed from the game some time ago. Did I miss something with the smite casting before HF? Is that how it functions for you?

    Also noted your comment about HF in macros, thank you.
    Last edited by hatchetman240; 2013-04-29 at 02:53 PM.

  20. #220
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    32
    Yes that is how it functions. Its not perfect for the first cast since since the smite doesnt get the bonus damage from the target having holy fire but for a macro that means you never miss a cd I thought that was ok.

    I have been using castsequence macros like this since the start of MOP.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •