View Poll Results: Was this guide useful to you?

Voters
148. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    110 74.32%
  • no

    38 25.68%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    I'm chill :P

    Some people on these forums actually ARE out to get me, it's almost like they have a personal vendetta.. you think I am joking but i swear I am not O_O >.>

    But I really didn't copy your layout. I am not a fan of all black text guides, color dynamics help reading so I typically steer away from... "Plain" as much as possible >.>

    You know I <3 you mazi and think ur the nicest priesty on these hur forums. I know you aren't out to get anyone.

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  2. #82
    Hi Láthus,

    I often read your post on this forum as I often listen your advice about Disc.P. /respect

    But in this case , I'm sad to say : "nothing new here" it seem a guide for who started play Priest yesterday.

    All you said was already knew for (I think and I hope) 99% of Disc Priest. Nothing different from the others 29348663498673,9 guides you can easily find on the web (and that were already released before 5.2 comes out).

    My question is : who should read this guide? what kind of player?

    Anyway thumbs-up to the commitment.

    /cheer

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    You know I <3 you mazi and think ur the nicest priesty on these hur forums.

    Well now I'm offended!! QQ

    j/k obvi

  4. #84
    And Arlee* :P

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 03:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mylex View Post
    Hi Láthus,

    I often read your post on this forum as I often listen your advice about Disc.P. /respect

    But in this case , I'm sad to say : "nothing new here" it seem a guide for who started play Priest yesterday.

    All you said was already knew for (I think and I hope) 99% of Disc Priest. Nothing different from the others 29348663498673,9 guides you can easily find on the web (and that were already released before 5.2 comes out).

    My question is : who should read this guide? what kind of player?

    Anyway thumbs-up to the commitment.

    /cheer

    I am adding more.."Advanced" content every day, the first draft of this a few days ago to where it is now, I have probably doubled the information in it. So keep looking at it to see if theres any information that might prove useful to you.

    Generally in my eyes in a guide, the target audience is going to be your average player. Someone who plays, gets the class but might not understand some smaller details of the class that might enhance their game play. A guide that can show little tips/tricks, and sometimes unveil hidden uses of spells someone might not have thought of.

    The theorycrafting portion, which is mostly what I have been adding in for the more advanced players that want more number crunching, while I pay close attention to numbers myself. Math is not my forte, so those sections might take longer for me to dive into at times >.> but I am getting better!


    So TLR answer: Intermediate/average player. But I think there are parts in ANY guide, even advanced players can take into consideration simply because everyone might play slightly different, and have a play style that you can pick and choose from.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 03:41 PM ----------

    (and that were already released before 5.2 comes out)
    I also note what changed from 5.1 > 5.2.

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  5. #85
    Thanks for this work, it will surely help me pick up my priest for PvE healing again. Only been PvP healing for years now, but slowly getting back to killing some dragons too, which has a different focus! Good work, and thanks!

  6. #86
    Great guide still been trying out full mastery and full crit i might try a mix of both soon

  7. #87
    A mix of both is extremley strong right now and highly suggested

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Take a chill pill. It was an observation. But you can clearly see the similarities when you go back and forth between them and I don't recall yours being formatted that way before I posted mine (when yours was centered). It's not a big deal. RELAAAAAAAAAAX. You always think everyone is attacking you and out to get you and we're not.
    It's not exactly a unique layout, most class guides follow the same general format.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

  9. #89
    I'm still very skeptical of the fact you downplay Halo so much. The fact that it has the greatest heal potential (in 10 setting), will nearly always hit the entire raid (again, 10 setting) and contributes to damage makes it preferable in my eyes to Cascade or Divine Star. Divine star is much more situational and will likely hit far fewer targets unless in a fight with a lot of stacking. Cascade requires the least amount of positioning, but also doesn't get to see its full potential in 10s. On 25s Cascade is the clear winner because Halo diminishes with that many targets, but on 10s you can make a very strong case for it.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuma8244 View Post
    I'm still very skeptical of the fact you downplay Halo so much. The fact that it has the greatest heal potential (in 10 setting), will nearly always hit the entire raid (again, 10 setting) and contributes to damage makes it preferable in my eyes to Cascade or Divine Star. Divine star is much more situational and will likely hit far fewer targets unless in a fight with a lot of stacking. Cascade requires the least amount of positioning, but also doesn't get to see its full potential in 10s. On 25s Cascade is the clear winner because Halo diminishes with that many targets, but on 10s you can make a very strong case for it.

    I downplay halo because cascade on a normal cast will just do more healing, and cost more mana. You will always receive as much benefit as you could in the moment you cast it due to it always hitting far away targets, and doing more healing based on such.

    Halo, you could get it to hit 2 people for 100k+ but then there could be 10 people who it only healed for 20k-40k at a very high mana cost no less. Honestly, if halo cost the same as cascade, i might prefer it, theres just too much chance of it not doing enough healing to be worth the 40k mana it costs to cast.

    It also requires amazing positioning, in the time you might want to run away from your current position to be able to get the best benefit from it, you could have done 3 other things.

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  11. #91
    If you position yourself well though I've found many situations where I'm healing 5 or 6 people in the 120-150k range, again I'm talking about 10 man setting. It ends up healing for roughly twice as much as cascade, though obviously you can use cascade more often. Halo also contributes to damage, a factor that increases greatly the more targets there are on a fight. Halo is more of a raidwide burst heal, something I find disc lacking otherwise.

    In regards to positioning it doesn't require amazing positioning, you can basically eyeball yourself a spot that looks to be about 20-25 yards away from the greatest number of raid members. I take the opportunity in getting to that spot to throw out a couple shields, PoM, Holy Fire/Solace, or any one of a number of instant casts.

    My point here isn't that Halo is far and away the best option in 10s. I'm just trying to point out it has greater usefulness than you're currently giving it credit for (again, at least in a 10s setting).

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuma8244 View Post
    If you position yourself well though I've found many situations where I'm healing 5 or 6 people in the 120-150k range, again I'm talking about 10 man setting. It ends up healing for roughly twice as much as cascade, though obviously you can use cascade more often. Halo also contributes to damage, a factor that increases greatly the more targets there are on a fight. Halo is more of a raidwide burst heal, something I find disc lacking otherwise.

    In regards to positioning it doesn't require amazing positioning, you can basically eyeball yourself a spot that looks to be about 20-25 yards away from the greatest number of raid members. I take the opportunity in getting to that spot to throw out a couple shields, PoM, Holy Fire/Solace, or any one of a number of instant casts.

    My point here isn't that Halo is far and away the best option in 10s. I'm just trying to point out it has greater usefulness than you're currently giving it credit for (again, at least in a 10s setting).
    Fair enough, I appreciate your input! If it works for you thats wonderful, but unfortunately my views on it are fairly set in stone right now, I just think disc has more important things to do on most fights then be worried about running 25 yards to a better spot for one spell, but if it works for you again, thats great

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    unfortunately my views on it are fairly set in stone right now,
    This seems problematic if your goal is a comprehensive, evolving guide that amounts to something more than mere bias and experiential claims.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuma8244 View Post
    This seems problematic if your goal is a comprehensive, evolving guide that amounts to something more than mere bias and experiential claims.
    You just made my day, thank you.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuma8244 View Post
    This seems problematic if your goal is a comprehensive, evolving guide that amounts to something more than mere bias and experiential claims.
    It hardly seems problematic if the topic is Halo. You use Cascade if spread out (It's also good for stuns, since it can heal while you're stunned) or Divine Star if stacked, not Halo.

  16. #96
    Stood in the Fire espoire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Confirmed. Sending supplies.
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    It hardly seems problematic if the topic is Halo. You use Cascade if spread out (It's also good for stuns, since it can heal while you're stunned) or Divine Star if stacked, not Halo.
    I favor Halo just for the sheer amount of "kick" it has. It's the second best option to pre-stacked absorbs for some kind of raid-wide damage burst; I use it much like a Mistweaver's Revival. In 10man, I usually get around 1.2M healing per cast, which really makes a huge difference if the entire raid's in the danger zone all at once.

    Edit: Although I admit learning to aim it and hanging out near optimal spots for it in advance is a very slow skill to acquire. I do have the benefit of having that ability already thanks to being Shadow all of last tier.
    Last edited by espoire; 2013-03-20 at 10:26 AM.

  17. #97
    the problem with Halo as a healer is that to (reliably and without too much hassle) get the most benefit out of it is for everyone to be stacked up at its optimal healing distance from you - which normally happens on encounters where they would stack up to deal with the healing (and maybe have a barriere etc.) anyway. But now you have all of them neatly stacked where they should but you are out of position and you have to move to get back, which is bad for your AoE healing besides Penance. You might get some great numbers, but I'm not sure its an overall gain. You have to move twice, you make other healers nervous and you have to spent extra time on keeping yourself alive.
    I can see doing it as shadow, because it can be worth it to sacrifice a few seconds of full damage for a strong heal for the whole group and you can take care of yourself since you don't need to keep track of everyone else, but as healer? If you really need that big heal to hit at once, then you can't spare the time to run, if there is no danger for anyone dying in the next few seconds, why not cast other heals? It will only make a difference on the meters and changing your style to look better on the meters is not something you should do - unless it doesn't matter anyway because there is no danger involved, but then you can use any talent or none at all whatever you like.

    There is one kind of fight where I think it would make sense - but the Lich King is not on the list of encounters most of us worry right now xD

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuma8244 View Post
    This seems problematic if your goal is a comprehensive, evolving guide that amounts to something more than mere bias and experiential claims.
    Regardless of if other people find good use, I would never use it personally unless there was an extreme circumstance that made me feel otherwise.

    I just don't like the talent, and it's been proven to be a lesser of the three 90 talents as far as healing.

    Long Cooldown, minimal amounts of healing and an extremley high mana cost.



    While Of course I want to take peoples feedback, that doesn't mean 100% of what people say will go in, unfortunately I just really disagree with halo being a decent choice.

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    Long Cooldown, minimal amounts of healing and an extremley high mana cost.
    The only one of things demonstrably true is the longer cd, and it's worth noting that 40 seconds is less than IF and SS.
    The healing isn't minimal, as we've stated assuming somewhat decent positioning you can hit at least half your 10 raid for over 100k noncrit, probably more like 120-150k noncrit. At the same time you're contributing to damage.
    The mana also isn't nearly as big an issue as you make it seem. 9% every 25 seconds vs 13.5% every 40. If I did the math right (and I'm a humanities grad student, there's a good chance I didn't), that actually equals out to less mana per second than Cascade, assuming you use it off cd which you won't always do.

    Again, not arguing it's far and away the best, but it is at least a decent choice for 10s.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 02:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    the problem with Halo as a healer is that to (reliably and without too much hassle) get the most benefit out of it is for everyone to be stacked up at its optimal healing distance from you - which normally happens on encounters where they would stack up to deal with the healing (and maybe have a barriere etc.) anyway. But now you have all of them neatly stacked where they should but you are out of position and you have to move to get back, which is bad for your AoE healing besides Penance. You might get some great numbers, but I'm not sure its an overall gain. You have to move twice, you make other healers nervous and you have to spent extra time on keeping yourself alive.
    The problem with with this logic is that it assumes you will always be woefully out of position, and have to run 25 yards to position yourself. If you have the talent and know how to use it, then you won't be positioning yourself in those situations. And even on a fight like Feng or Blade Lord where you're stacked then it's still worthwhile to pop a speed bubble, give yourself some distance, and heal the raid. during your movement you can be bubbling tanks or other raid members, solacing/holy fire, pom, any one of a number of instant casts.

  20. #100
    Again, not arguing it's far and away the best, but it is at least a decent choice for 10s

    Current tier, couldn't say I haven't done 10s this tier. Did 10s last tier and the ONLY fight I found it useful on was garajal, for the add damage, not even for healing.


    Again, I just believe that in the time it took you to run to a proper spot to use halo, you could have cast PoH twice and use some atonment + cascade.

    5.2 Disc Priest Guide | Retired(Playing Aion)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •