Poll: Was this guide useful to you?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Im looking for someone to do the maths for me, as I tend to miss something every time

Q: What gives more HPS, spamming smite keeping the buff alive. Or use evengalism on cd for increased hps? Note: this is for 24/7 smite healing.
    Also, whats the dps/minute loss by using it on cd.

Thanks

Two...expansions...not tiers. 5 tiers. Thats a whole lot of content to have IRL issues with.

Anyway, you asked, I explained. I'll see myself to the exit...and again on topic I think your guide is great for beginners so +1 to that.

Deleted
    I don't really think that any specific amount of progress is required to write a solid general guide, except if you want to add specific encounter tips (then there's obviously an advantage actually having done the fight). There are several priests who provide great information and insight to the community without having any significant progress. However if you want anyone to take you the least bit seriously you either back your information with theorycrafting or at the very least solid reasoning (especially if you lack experience!). This guide doesn't have any of this meaning that it's almost purely based your opinion, which may or may not be right, but no one should ever follow a guide with that as the only basis.

That being said, there are things in this guide that are very questionable, and things that are outright wrong (and yes, some things that are correct, but the majority of the guide is just descriptions). I could try to give advice and criticism, but I honestly don't think you are suited to write a guide Lathus (the only basis you ever have for your claims is your opinion/"experience", which is bad for posts alone, but terrible for a guide).

Q: What gives more HPS, spamming smite keeping the buff alive. Or use evengalism on cd for increased hps? Note: this is for 24/7 smite healing.
    Also, whats the dps/minute loss by using it on cd.
    Using it on cd is a significant hps increase. The dps loss depends on a lot of factors, your haste, what spells are about to line up, if you're using the penance 4p and so on, but it's around ~3% (since I don't know the previous factors this is a very rough estimate, and a set dps number is obviously impossible without knowing all your stats) if all you do is smiting (the % of dps lost is significantly higher if you weave in other spells, but the actual damage lost will be roughly the same).
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-15 at 05:38 PM.

By all means cookie. Let me send people to your guide.

Anyway, explain to me in this guide what is so "wrong" that I should be burned at the stake for saying.

I would say for a more advanced guide consult http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1837 . Derevka has a great comprehensive, well thought out guide with supporting experience and math to back it up. I've always enjoyed his blogs and write ups and have found it to be insightful and thorough.

Also keep in mind this the basic portion of the guide. I even say in mine that its just the beginning and I'm editing/ adding more every day. This is simply what I finished in 3 hours edited raid yesterday

Deleted
    By all means cookie. Let me send people to your guide.
    My "guide" is meant as a joke, yet it has about the same amount of actual gameplay advice as yours, I think that says a fair bit about this guide.

Anyway, explain to me in this guide what is so "wrong" that I should be burned at the stake for saying.
    Trying to make you write a good guide would be 10 times more work than me just completing one myself but I'll throw you a bone and point out the areas that contain outright incorrect info. Since I don't want to write an essay fixing your guide I won't go into specifics (I might do this if I get bored), nor mention things that are questionable or lacking (it's simply too many things).

Areas that are incorrect/encouraging clearly sub-optimal gameplay: "2A. Talents", "3. Stat priority", "4C. Mana regeneration abilities", "5A. Macros", "7. Trinket mp5"
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-15 at 05:57 PM.

Cookie...

You realize the trinket section is taken DIRECTLY from EJ right? Please tell me how that's wrong and you are correct.

Had you actually read anything I wrote. I clearly state I'm going to go into greater depth and this is just the first layer to the guide.

While I see you pointed out sections that you think are "wrong"... How can macros be wrong? How can posting the only two viable stat options wrong?

The fact you are trying totell me EJ trinket stats are wrong and sub optimal amuses me. The part saying macros are wrong is even more laughable.

You are good at pointing out specifics, so why don't you do that instead of pointing out the sections that aren't even complete.

Deleted
    Fine, fine, I'll humour you a bit.

You realize the trinket section is taken DIRECTLY from EJ right? Please tell me how that's wrong and you are correct.
    You do realise that said trinket section and regen amounts is intended for resto shamans (including mtt used on cd), and then think they are correct/useful for a disc?

Had you actually read anything I wrote. I clearly state I'm going to go into greater depth and this is just the first layer to the guide.
    Hence I didn't mention everything that's lacking, and because that'd take me all day.

While I see you pointed out sections that you think are "wrong"... How can macros be wrong?
    "encouraging clearly sub-optimal gameplay" is what I wrote in my post. Nochannel macros delay your next spell (especially with high latency). Macroing together spells that shouldn't be used at the same time is plain bad.

How can posting the only two viable stat options wrong?
    There's no viability to tunnelvisioning mastery.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-15 at 06:40 PM.

It's stated on multiple sources that mastery and crit are very balanced right now. They just serve different purposes.

The mp5 on the trinkets is the same as every other class. The mp5 values are the same, I checked it myself.

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 06:47 PM ----------

The macros. Are OPTIONS. Cookie, please read the title at the top of my guide, then read the sub text.

The no channel macro isn't even mine, personally I use clique and the only macro I have is shadow fiend. It was a macro someone suggested, so I added it.

Not once do I suggest that anything in this guide is the end all be all. They are options layed out for you to figure out on your own.

There is nothing wrong with mouse over macros, why are you pointing out such minor things to be the end of the world.

Deleted
    It's stated on multiple sources that mastery and crit are very balanced right now. They just serve different purposes.
    and they scale off each other, so purely stacking one of them (especially mastery) above the other is probably the absolute worst way to go about it. Not understanding things like this just makes you unsuitable to write guides.

The mp5 on the trinkets is the same as every other class. The mp5 values are the same, I checked it myself.
    *hint* Rapture *hint*

The macros. Are OPTIONS. Cookie, please read the title at the top of my guide, then read the sub text.
    and, as stated, said "options" encourage sub-optimal gameplay and hence have no place in a guide.

There is nothing wrong with mouse over macros, why are you pointing out such minor things to be the end of the world.
    I haven't said anything about mouseover macros, and considering that you have practically no actual content in your guide everything I can say about it is going to be about minor things.

I've already given you advice, and trying to get you to write a good guide seems like a huge waste of time to me, so I'll leave it at this.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-15 at 06:51 PM.

I never said ignore crit if you are prioritizing mastery?

Note I said spirit > mastery > crit > haste

Meaning its a priority list. I admit I need to go into greater detail but again, this isn't the finished guide.

Anyway I'm done talking on my phone, heading home to work on this more.

While cookies feedback is being presented poorly and rude, everyone's discussion is going me what I need to work on next.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Nochannel macros delay your next spell (especially with high latency). Macroing together spells that shouldn't be used at the same time is plain bad.
    Nochannel macro only allows you to "mash" (fast click) smite button near the end of penance-channeling safely, so that last tick of penance is not wasted but smite spell is queued as soon as possible. It actually fights against latency spikes.

+ I think you are mostly just trolling. I know Derevka's guide you mention, it is good. Still no reason to discourage anyone from writing his own. When I chillout after raid, I read articles like this, taking from them what I want. Some are better, some are worse, so what..

Quote Originally Posted by platzman View Post
    Nochannel macro only allows you to "mash" (fast click) smite button near the end of penance-channeling safely, so that last tick of penance is not wasted but smite spell is queued as soon as possible. It actually fights against latency spikes.

+ I think you are mostly just trolling. I know Derevka's guide you mention, it is good. Still no reason to discourage anyone from writing his own. When I chillout after raid, I read articles like this, taking from them what I want. Some are better, some are worse, so what..
    To be fair, I brought up Derevka's guide. Also, I feel said guides should be left up to the people who really know what they are talking about. All of the rest, is really just clutter. Although Cookies approach to stating this may feel abrasive, I tend to agree with his/her statements. Just because someone is not quick to accept and digest the information presented, does not make them "trolls".

Hey Lathus - just a technical thing, but centered text is actually difficult to read. I recommend left aligning everything. Good work though.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Thanks Mazi, it's a work in progress :P I am no guide master, I am actually looking at fixing the format right now and tweaking sections I agree with centered being odd.

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 09:04 PM ----------

Sigh... it appears MMO-Champion servers are having issues right now and isn't letting me update all the changes I just made -_-;;;;

Updated: Went into greater detail on the usage of a few abilities.

Nice guide man! This will definetly come to use as i just specced disc and havent played that since wotlk Thank you!

Change Log:

- Friday March 15th: Added more detail on several spec specific spells. Added introduction/disclaimer section as well as adding all of the tier talents with descriptions. Added "Intermission" section to highlight the benefits disc brings to raids.

I have a question for the more macro-savvy disc priests. I have been using for a very long time a macro that allows me to cast my Smite on the target of my target (of just my target should that be an enemy) " /cast [harm] [target=targettarget] Smite ". I found this to be very useful, specially when tank healing. The macro suggested here to only cast Smite while Penance is not being channeled is a very interesting one though, I normally would just wait till I finished seeing my cast bar to mash that key, but I would LOVE to see a way both of these on the same macro, is that possible? I tried just adding them together "/cast [nochanneling:Penance] [harm] [target=targettarget] Smite " and it would work like my old one did, without the Penance part. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by vanityking View Post
    I have a question for the more macro-savvy disc priests. I have been using for a very long time a macro that allows me to cast my Smite on the target of my target (of just my target should that be an enemy) " /cast [harm] [target=targettarget] Smite ". I found this to be very useful, specially when tank healing. The macro suggested here to only cast Smite while Penance is not being channeled is a very interesting one though, I normally would just wait till I finished seeing my cast bar to mash that key, but I would LOVE to see a way both of these on the same macro, is that possible? I tried just adding them together "/cast [nochanneling:Penance] [harm] [target=targettarget] Smite " and it would work like my old one did, without the Penance part. A little help would be greatly appreciated.
    Try this.

#showtooltip
    /stopmacro [channeling:Penance]
    /cast [@targettarget, harm] Smite