Poll: Was this guide useful to you?

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Hey guys, just a question:

How good is http://www.wowhead.com/item=96804 for Disc Priests? Ours claimed it was his BIS so the loot council gave it to him over my Mage with 522 bracers. I'm just curious, instinct would tell me the Vaccinators are BIS for you lads.

Cheers.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-05-30 at 12:32 PM.

Deleted
    Depends on how your disc values the different stats but I'd value it above vaccinators yes (at least for 10 man, for 25 man I might value spirit slightly higher). I'd personally consider frostborn wristwraps with a crit enchant to be very very slightly superior (but that's debatable), however the chances of that dropping (especially thunderforged) are obviously so small that you can't really aim for it.

That being said, azure shell isn't that much ahead of vaccinators (all our secondary stats are relatively close compared to most specs) so if he already had heroic bracers and you had 522 I'd have handed you the bracers (assuming equal performance/attendance/attitude), but this is really your lootcouncils call and the disc saying that it's BiS isn't incorrect.

Tldr: Your disc is cool, stop being a lootwhore.

Eh, healers taking "bis" gear when they have other good options over dps always seemed dumb to me. Healers are fairly quickly at an adequate level for progress, anything beyond that is just comfort. Better geared dps is more dps and always helps for progress.

That said, it's just my opinion. Other guilds have different philosophies when it comes to handing out loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post
    Eh, healers taking "bis" gear when they have other good options over dps always seemed dumb to me. Healers are fairly quickly at an adequate level for progress, anything beyond that is just comfort. Better geared dps is more dps and always helps for progress.

That said, it's just my opinion. Other guilds have different philosophies when it comes to handing out loot.
    Same can be said about healing. Better geared healers can keep the raid alive for longer, and can make up for stupid mistakes people end up doing. All bosses were defeated in 525 gear, apart from ra den (he took 531). Meaning all dps should now easily be at an adequate level for progress.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalmah View Post

Depends, you can easily argue the other way, that extra healing compensates for misstakes or possibly even for a group to step down from 2 to 3 healers on a fight, resulting in a far bigger dps increase than the dps gaining some extra items. If the grp has incredibly strong healers and weak dps, sure it might make more sense to increase the dps, but then you'd also be throwing items at players who won't make full use of them. A disc is also putting out a significant amount of dps, so there's that additional benefit to take into account. Either way your loot council or disc didn't do anything strange or stupid, the only reason you think so is because the decision didn't favor you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Depends, you can easily argue the other way, that extra healing compensates for misstakes or possibly even for a group to step down from 2 to 3 healers on a fight, resulting in a far bigger dps increase than the dps gaining some extra items. If the grp has incredibly strong healers and weak dps, sure it might make more sense to increase the dps, but then you'd also be throwing items at players who won't make full use of them. A disc is also putting out a significant amount of dps, so there's that additional benefit to take into account. Either way your loot council or disc didn't do anything strange or stupid, the only reason you think so is because the decision didn't favor you.
    I'm not the guy asking if the bracers were bis, my main is a disc priest. I don't think their decision was strange or stupid, I just don't agree with it.

From my experience, taking gear no one wants except other healers, I gear up just fine. I've never been in a position where I thought I would need better gear to heal a fight. I've often been in a position where I thought a fight would be easier to heal if we had better dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post

Tldr: Your disc is cool, stop being a lootwhore.
    I'm glad you deduced that from my question. Gives a different perspective on the 2 paragraphs above.

Regardless of the general rudeness, I appreciate the discussion. Thanks all 3.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    When you say carry, does that involve having it ON you, or just on the account? Wouldn't terribly mind throwing it in the bank, but paying 7K everytime I want to change cloaks seem a bit wasteful.
    http://i.imgur.com/Zpsulbb.jpg

That is exactly what it says when I try to buy another cape.

What would be the point of leaving one in the bank? I would much prefer to carry my 2 sets of gear with me and swap them in and out during a raid without having to go back to that bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/Zpsulbb.jpg

That is exactly what it says when I try to buy another cape.

What would be the point of leaving one in the bank? I would much prefer to carry my 2 sets of gear with me and swap them in and out during a raid without having to go back to that bank.
    I'd rather have to go to the bank to switch around the 7K cloaks, than destroy, buy, gem and enchant a new one everytime I'd like to switch <.<

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough Draco but really is 550 second stat points worth 7k? So much spirit on gear now that I'm pretty sure we won't really need it from the cloak tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
    Fair enough Draco but really is 550 second stat points worth 7k? So much spirit on gear now that I'm pretty sure we won't really need it from the cloak tbh.
    Multiple specs . What's my poor DK going to do? It's tank/dps, no overlap there .

Deleted
    hey

you guys have any idea which pve trinket would be best for pvp?
    int/mp5 wise

I see there's a ranking but since all items are 496 ilvl in pvp the ranking will probably be different.
    Last edited by mmoc0d27938a22; 2013-06-05 at 03:59 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubs-go-home View Post
    hey

you guys have any idea which pve trinket would be best for pvp?
    int/mp5 wise

I see there's a ranking but since all items are 496 ilvl in pvp the ranking will probably be different.
    2/2 Chi-Ji is best with the downscaling of other trinkets and its base budget is basically equal to a 496 not upgraded.

Did you guys every try a full crit reforge and gemming?

I was doing LFR last night for runestones, and I ran into Moggi (from Months Behind, ya know, the tankspot guild), and I was pretty surprised how easy it was for him to beat me on healing on every fight.

He only has 3 iLvl more than I do, but 5% more crit and 3k less spirit. I believe I managed to close the gap by trying to push but he was still a good 10k above me on healing easily, and his divine aegis was huge.

I also see from his logs he's running Halo to my surprise.

I'm still trying to understand how he gets 71k average divine aegis on Megaera while I only get 39k.
    Last edited by Spotnick; 2013-06-07 at 07:49 PM.

I'll say that I haven't healed on a disc priest in about 8 months, but when I did, it was serious heroic progression (3/6H MSV in 3 weeks of mop). That being said, I came here specifically to pick a fight about Solace v Mindbender usage, but have, in doing my own math, proven myself wrong. I remember doing the exact same math at the start of the expansion and seeing Mindbender blow Solace away, all things included, in part because Atonement didn't benefit from Solace. I guess that's changed now, and I'll share my math with you guys too.

I did my calculations based on a 6 minute fight, since it's the fairest way to really compare Mindbender and SF, and looked at three scenarios.

S1: Using F/MB on CD and Solace/HF six times exclusively per minute. This scenario is great in that it allows for 50% Archangel uptime, but doesn't afford the luxury of choosing when to cast it (gets into tricky business with forcing AA for specific areas of specific fights, where a Smite would be used to prep for high damage countered by AA).

Fiend+Solace: +252000 mana per six minutes
    Mindbender+HF: +98856 mana per six minutes

S2: Using F/MB and Solace/HF three times exclusively, and Smite twice per minute. This scenario is probably best for most people, as it allows for 50% Archangel uptime, and encourages non-Atonement spam.

Fiend+Solace: +100800 mana per six minutes
    Mindbender+HF: +74232 mana per six minutes.

S3: Using F/MB and Solace/HF 3 times exclusively, then Smite twice for Archangel, then Solace/HF twice more, and Smite thrice more for a second Archangel per minute. This scenario will provide the most throughput and uptime of Archangel, but also requires the most use of Atonement (good/bad depending on fight).

Fiend+Solace: -9000 mana per six minutes
    Mindbender+HF: -134424 mana per six minutes

The discrepancy blows my mind. Simply by adding Solace to the list of spells affected by Atonement/Evangelism, they've radically changed the significance of this tier of talents. I'm sure everyone but me has realized this by now, but like I said, I'm just picking priest up again after eight months.

As always, correct my math if you'd like!
    Last edited by Atheotes; 2013-06-09 at 08:43 PM.

can someone give me stat weight for a 511 disc priest ? one that i can go forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aminance View Post
    can someone give me stat weight for a 511 disc priest ? one that i can go forth.
    Eh. Depends alot more on what the gear actually IS, than what item level you have. If you've got the legendary meta gem, heroic horridon's last grasp, and some other regen trinket (VP for example), then you can quite comfortably drop to 8K spirit, and go crit>mastery>haste.
    If you're in LFR gear with the odd item upgrade and VP item, and no legendary meta gem, it's going to depend on your playstyle. If you use PW:S alot, you're going to prefer a spirit/mastery heavy build. If you do alot of "hands-on" healing like PoH, greater heal and the like, then crit+spirit is going to be king. And if you basicly only atonement heal with shield on rapture cd + PoM on CD, then you can drop as much spirit as possible and go crit>mastery>haste too, as even without the meta gem, it should be fairly mana-neutral.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the stat priority any difference if you're going for a damage disc build? Atonement etc.

I'm looking for a nice match between Disc and Shadow. Currently I dont have seperate disc/shadow set, so I'd prefer to do something inbetween. Currently I'm full out mastery, but I was wondering if I should maybe go for crit or haste..
    Hi

If you don't care at all about the healing output and just want max DPS as disc, then you'd go Crit>Haste>spirit untill you don't go OOM before the fight ends>Mastery, as mastery doesn't affect your damage in any way. More haste means you burn through mana faster due to faster casts, so you'd have to go up in spirit proportionally, compared to a crit>mastery>haste build.
    Solace is also beaten by mindbender in a damage scenario, so you'd lose out on the extra regen from solace, too.

Damage disc built? So you're looking to get the most out of atonement healing, right? If so then you want to go Mastery>Crit. Mastery wouldn't affect your damage but it would increase your atonement healing. Haste would burn through your mana pretty heavily and your ilvl (511?) sounds like your mana and spirit are on the low side anyway so you shouldn't min/max that yet.