Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    What do you reckon for a MOBA computer build?

    Hey, what computer builds would you reckon for someone who is looking for a pc sololy to play games such as LoL, Dota2 and Smite? Now, assume i have nothing so a list of every part except for the monitor would be great. Id like it to last about 3 years. Thanks in advance for the great help im sure ill recieve from these forums. xD

  2. #2
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,642
    We'd need your budget to work with, and where you are.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  3. #3
    I live in Ontario, Canada. Budget wise im looking at about $750 before tax. I plan on buying my parts in store from tiger direct.

  4. #4
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,642
    That's... gonna be a bit difficult to tell you, since in-store prices and availability will be different.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-14 at 05:28 PM ----------

    Based off their website, which I assume is even better than you're stock, this is really all you can get. It's a bit prohibitive to limit yourself to a single place. Almost $100 is wasted through using tigerdirect, on top of likely local tax.. But..

    PCPartPicker part list

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($127.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($72.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($147.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.27 @ TigerDirect)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($34.75 @ TigerDirect)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($98.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Total: $731.98
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  5. #5
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,447
    Would this be stretching your budget too much? (no OS included, if that's needed then above is probably the best you can do)

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.50 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.00 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.11 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $793.56
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-14 20:28 EDT-0400)

    I missed the Tiger... vendor.
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's... gonna be a bit difficult to tell you, since in-store prices and availability will be different.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-14 at 05:28 PM ----------

    Based off their website, which I assume is even better than you're stock, this is really all you can get. It's a bit prohibitive to limit yourself to a single place. Almost $100 is wasted through using tigerdirect, on top of likely local tax.. But..

    PCPartPicker part list

    CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($127.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($72.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB Video Card ($147.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.27 @ TigerDirect)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($64.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($34.75 @ TigerDirect)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($98.28 @ TigerDirect)
    Total: $731.98
    Well i cant buy online and Tiger direct is the only pc store i know.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Would this be stretching your budget too much? (no OS included, if that's needed then above is probably the best you can do)

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.50 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.00 @ Vuugo)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.11 @ DirectCanada)
    Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: Enermax 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $793.56
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-14 20:28 EDT-0400)

    I missed the Tiger... vendor.
    Your build doesnt have an OS so its a little too expensive for me. I dont know how settings work on those types of games but if chazus' build will last me 3 years i have no problem playing on sub par graphics. Ive always felt gameplay > graphics

  8. #8
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,642
    The system Notarget listed would utterly destroy the one I listed. Less than a couple hundred bucks can make a ridiculous difference.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  9. #9
    I cant buy online and tigerdirect is the only pc store i know. and notarget your build is a bit much considering it doesnt include an OS and i cant get all those deals youre getting online. =s

  10. #10
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,642
    Why can you not buy online?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  11. #11
    Well i dont have a credit card, paypal or anything like that.

  12. #12
    Don't have a bank account? I don't know how it is in Canada, but if you have a bank account you can use your debit card as a credit card to make online purchases. Or alternately, you can buy a prepaid credit card to make the purchases, it's going to definitely be worth it though to buy online, since you should also avoid paying taxes this way.

  13. #13
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,642
    or just give money to a friend and have them order it. Parents? Family?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  14. #14
    Ok i guess ill set up a bank account and purchase the parts online. Ive never ordered anything online so im not sure exactly how it works. I basically get a piece of paper in my mailbox telling me i can pick up my package from the post office right?

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 06:57 AM ----------

    yeah im def going to figure out how to buy online and get the build notarget posted. I have a question about it though. Do you need certain mobos to overclock and if so can you on the one he linked?

  15. #15
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    865
    The Z77 motherboard that was linked supports overclocking.

    The B75 motherboard listed in the first build does not support overclocking. (The cpu listed there doesn't either.)

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    The Z77 motherboard that was linked supports overclocking.

    The B75 motherboard listed in the first build does not support overclocking. (The cpu listed there doesn't either.)
    Yeah it was notargets mobo i was wondering about. Thanks for help.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 08:26 PM ----------

    Oh and i dont plan on overclocking till i have too, if ever, but if i do will the 450w psu be enough?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by HardlySubtle View Post
    Yeah it was notargets mobo i was wondering about. Thanks for help.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 08:26 PM ----------

    Oh and i dont plan on overclocking till i have too, if ever, but if i do will the 450w psu be enough?
    overclocking is actually quite easy. Just check out a couple of vids on youtube and you'll get all the info you'll need. Overclock.net is also good for some good guides, but I found watching the vids was much easier.

  18. #18
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,447
    Yeah 450W is enough. If you're willing to spend a little bit extra you can something a little better quality and modular like this:

    Antec High Current Gamer 520W
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Yeah 450W is enough. If you're willing to spend a little bit extra you can something a little better quality and modular like this:

    Antec High Current Gamer 520W
    ill stick with the 450 if its enough and is it better to buy a monitor in store or online? Theyre kinda big so idk. Also ill be getting the cheapest one i find since theyre all flat screens now.

  20. #20
    Immortal Notarget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    7,447
    Buy it where ever you like and feel most comfortable buying. You'll likely find something cheaper online though. What is your ~budget for a monitor?
    CPU: Intel i5-3570k (4.5GHz) MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth (uefi 2003)
    GPU: Asus 280X TOP (1080MHz/1700MHz) RAM: Corsair LP/LV white 8GB 1600MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840Pro 256GB + Crucial m4 128GB (040H) PSU: Seasonic 620M CASE: Corsair 500R (White/Black) Monitor: LG 237L-BN IPS
    Current build! ||Old Build || Bitdefender Total Security 2015 || AV-TEST 2014

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •