Deleted

New to OC Need Help

Hello
    I am new to Overclocking and i would need some help.
    I have this setup Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H + I5 3570k and i am thinking to buy this cooler Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme.

So are there any guides to OC this ? i found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxCPyF-1tTc don't know if what he is doing is right or wrong tho.

And what should i aim for with my setup 4.2Ghz ? 4.5Ghz ? 4.8GHz ?

I am playing mostly WoW and during ToT progression i saw my fps drop from like usually 30-40 fps to 10-20 fps on some fights and i think the OC would help with my fps.

Deleted
    that is one of the best air coolers out there together with a NH-D14 from noctua.
    how high you can get the clocks depends allot on how good your chip is. Best is to test how far you can push core clocks stable with stock Vcore after that you just need to add tiny amounts of voltage to reach the next region of clocks. (iirc wow OC performance sweetspot was around 4.4/45 Ghz)

prepare for a healthy dose of info here ; http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/i...ide-at-the-end (ofc you can skip the LN2 part hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    that is one of the best air coolers out there together with a NH-D14 from noctua.
    how high you can get the clocks depends allot on how good your chip is. Best is to test how far you can push core clocks stable with stock Vcore after that you just need to add tiny amounts of voltage to reach the next region of clocks. (iirc wow OC performance sweetspot was around 4.4/45 Ghz)

prepare for a healthy dose of info here ; http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/i...ide-at-the-end (ofc you can skip the LN2 part hehe)
    Too much text really..

The key of overclocking is voltage voltage voltage. With the stock voltage you can push a few MHz's but you'll reach a limit and it won't boot to Windows at all and the trick is just increasing the CPU's voltage aka vcore.

Some chips needs less Vcore or more so that's why you just can't copy settings from someone else so you have to find everything by yourself out.

The cooler you've chosen is an excellent choice but I'll limit the Vcore to max 1.30-1.35V so you have plenty of room to overclock considering that the stock voltage is around 1.0V-1.1V (I guess).

Never ever leave the vcore at auto when you're overclocking, the motherboard just overvolts it like hell and you'll run into high temps so you have to manually find it out. Make sure you load an xmp profile out so your RAM is at the rated settings etc and especially your BCLK (named cpu/pcie base clock on GB mb's) to exactly 100.00MHz without any fluctuation going higher. Stresstesting or doing a stability test can prove if your overclock is stable or not, something like prime95.

With an i5 3570k I'd say you'd be pretty safe around 4.5ghz. As to voltage, there's no real way of knowing how much your specific chip needs. The only way to tell is trail and error. Increase your Vcore by .005 until it's stable.
    Playing since 2007.

Deleted
    i see , will check that link out
    btw they motherboard i have will fit for the cpu cooler i chose right ? will it fit in my coolmaster haf 912 plus ?
    thx for the info

You can expect the vCore for 4.5GHz (45x multiplier, 100.00MHz bClock) to be between 1.22 and 1.28V for a 3570K. It could be higher or lower depending on the chip, but most appear to fit into that range. 1.250V vCore is probably a good place to start, and then work up or down depending on how the testing goes.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2013-03-16 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflash2009 View Post
    i see , will check that link out
    btw they motherboard i have will fit for the cpu cooler i chose right ? will it fit in my coolmaster haf 912 plus ?
    thx for the info
    Depends on fans & ram. Which ram do you have and how many sticks?

Deleted
    i have two memory sticks

Should fit without any probs.