Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

World of Warcraft "alive and well", patch 5.2 is a statement of intent says dev

World of Warcraft’s “The Thunder King” 5.2 patch is just the beginning, Blizzard has stated in a new interview. The team feels the large raid is just the start, with similar events due to take place often, showing that the MMO isn’t being retired any time soon.

Speaking with NowGamer, Blizzard’s Greg Street said of patch 5.2, “I really want players to get the message that this is a commitment of Blizzard and the World Of Warcraft team, and this is the type of content players can expect year after year.”

He continued, making clear that WoW will be with us for some time yet, “Sometimes, there’s the risk that players say ‘gosh, this games been going on for nine years, certainly it’s winding down or it’s something Blizzard is putting out to pasture and isn’t really going to support much anymore.”

“But this huge patch is our example of no, World Of Warcraft is alive and well and as long as we keep having so many players, we will keep making the best content we can possibly make.”

-------

I hope they keep their promise, what do you guys think?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not? Look at EQ. Still going on.

Better yet... Look at The Realm Online.... started in 1996... still going today... mind you only like 200 people are logged in at any given time, and it can probably be run on a single home server... but its still kicking.
    Fanboy (Fanboi): A Term used when someone disagrees with you on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate your counterpoint back so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming you into silence and thus them winning through dominance.

Deleted
    They milked the game for all it was worth and now they can't get away with it anymore.

WoW is the Playstation of MMORPGs. It will last a long long time before it sees real competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know they won't die in next 20 years due their massive strong fanbase, but i ment do you think blizzard keeps the promise to deliver good and strong content for the player base, they already promised a ulduar sized raid each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    They milked the game for all it was worth and now they can't get away with it anymore.

WoW is the Playstation of MMORPGs. It will last a long long time before it sees real competition.
    Says who? How are they milking it?

9 Million+ players seem to enjoy this claimed "Playstation of MMORPGs". That's simply your opinion.

Oh, by the way, GW2 is it's real competition. GW2 is a FANTASTIC game, just not one I liked and thus did not level past level 18.

It also had the competition of Rift AND SWTOR. You remember how those worked out, correct?

And I like my PS3, thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Says who? How are they milking it?

9 Million+ players seem to enjoy this claimed "Playstation of MMORPGs". That's simply your opinion.

Oh, by the way, GW2 is it's real competition. GW2 is a FANTASTIC game, just not one I liked and thus did not level past level 18.

It also had the competition of Rift AND SWTOR. You remember how those worked out, correct?

And I like my PS3, thank you very much.
    They milked WoW when they decided to not update Cataclysm for a year while having a second team making another expansion.

GW2 is terrible, sorry. Rift is different, and TOR was a failure. Honestly with the budget TOR had they could have made a better WoW.

I guess they had a lot of over-paid devs there.

Your PS3 finished third place this generation after the brand monopolized the market for two console cycles.

Monopolies are bad for gamers unless you are a fanboy.

Did you enjoy your PS2 breaking down all the time?

They milked WoW when they decided to not update Cataclysm for a year while having a second team making another expansion.

GW2 is terrible, sorry. Rift is different, and TOR was a failure. Honestly with the budget TOR had they could have made a better WoW.

Your PS3 finished third place this generation after the brand monopolized the market for two console cycles.

My PS2 actually..never broke.

Neither did my PS3.

I had the original model of both and they never once broke.

I'm sorry Garian, but there's two flaws in your entire post:

1. It's your opinion.

2. You're making assumptions, especially with something personal to me.

If you want to discuss this logically instead of letting your malformed biased hate for Blizzard cloud your judgment, I'll do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    eve online is older than wow and has 300k subs they are still kicking with 2 expansions per year.

i don't see wow dying unless they go below that.

Also i hope that more tier 15 raids will come out I am enjoying myself a lot.

Currently 3/12 N but I am having so much fun.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Deleted

Neither did my PS3.

I had the original model of both and they never once broke.

I'm sorry Garian, but there's two flaws in your entire post:

1. It's your opinion.

2. You're making assumptions, especially with something personal to me.

If you want to discuss this logically instead of letting your malformed biased hate for Blizzard cloud your judgment, I'll do so.
    You were lucky then. The PS2 was notoriously badly designed because it was cheaply made, but the fanboys kept buying it.

It reminds me of WoW now actually. It's a shame because the original Playstation was ahead of its time. Sony sold the console at a loss in order to make a better product.

That's how business works. You monopolize then no one has anywhere else to go so you can charge whatever you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no doubts anyway, the quality and focus is still there, always has been. What has changed is player attitude and time commitments. 5.2 is a great patch adding a ton of things I never expected like that dino isle off the coast, the new raid looks great etc

Roll on 5.3 and beyond.

10+ Year Old Account
    No GW2 is a nice explore+PvP game. But they botched PvE with their No-Trinity / No-Progression approach.
    PvE doesn't really work well for extended periods of time w/o the proverbial carrot on a stick.

I had no doubts anyway, the quality and focus is still there, always has been.
    Agreed. Even in Cata they put a lot of love into their raid encounters, not to forget the old world revamp.

10+ Year Old Account

Neither did my PS3.
    I still have my PS, PSone, PS2 and my PS2 Slim. they still work and i bought them when they came out.
    Also have my sega, super nintendo and nintendo 64 which are still working. bought as well when they came out.
    don't even mention my gameboy still working XD
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as it's not another sub par expansion like Cataclysm than i'm fine with what ever they throw me.I got to play as a pandaren and go to pandaria anything past this point is a bonus.

yes we are all born from the flames of passion that stirred in the loins of our four fathers![Friend Code: 3325-2545-2595]

There are millions of people playing this game. Millions. Other MMORPGs consider themselves very successful if they reach just 1 million subscribers. This fact alone makes me chuckle a bit every time I see any of the frequent forum posts from disgruntled players about how WoW is dead.

Does this new patch illustrate that fact? Very well, I think. What it illustrates most, I think, is Blizzard's innate ability to truly listen to their fanbase. Many will scoff at that, but I believe it's true. WotLK and its emphasis on story was a direct response to the disappointment of how Illidan was handled in TBC. WotLK's expansion of 'casual' raiding (via 10-mans and purchaseable tier gear) was a response to the casual crowd while at the same time expanding on hard modes and, eventually, heroic difficulty based on the response to ZA timed runs and the like. Cataclysm was a response to the complaints that Wrath was 'too easy' and that people missed the old world - and many people remember that, at the time of Cataclysm's release, the fans were very excited about the potential the expansion had.

Obviously the biggest complaint in cataclysm, by the end, was the enormous amount of time between content patches. Blizzard yet again is responding to that with Mists of Pandaria. From a personal standpoint, I couldn't be happier - Mists is shaping up to be everything I had hoped for and more (though time will tell if that remains true throughout the expansion's lifetime). There will always be passionate people on the forums, and there will always be outspoken negativity. But as long as Blizzard continues to adapt their strategy based on the feedback they receive from the playerbase, WoW will continue to utterly dominate the field.

Deleted
    You were lucky then. The PS2 was notoriously badly designed because it was cheaply made, but the fanboys kept buying it.
    I'm fairly certain that PS2's success has less to do with fanboys and more with the massive game library the console had.

Somebodies a bitter they never got a Playstation from the sounds of it. WoW has no been milked any more than any big franchise sorry the other mmos out there lately have sucked so fierce Blizzard felt no need to rush content to compete against them.

Oh and using the word fanboy does nothing for your part of the argument except make you look like a tool. Not to mention the fact Blizzard has no monopoly since it does have plenty of competition they are all just lesser than it.

So what would you have them do? Release a few more content free balancing patches? Create some minor stuff for you to look at and delay MoP? Also, it was 9 months. The year was during WotLK.

Deleted

Wise words.
    The cataclysm xpack was as low as they could push it and people would eat it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
    There are millions of people playing this game. Millions. Other MMORPGs consider themselves very successful if they reach just 1 million subscribers. This fact alone makes me chuckle a bit every time I see any of the frequent forum posts from disgruntled players about how WoW is dead.

Does this new patch illustrate that fact? Very well, I think. What it illustrates most, I think, is Blizzard's innate ability to truly listen to their fanbase. Many will scoff at that, but I believe it's true. WotLK and its emphasis on story was a direct response to the disappointment of how Illidan was handled in TBC. WotLK's expansion of 'casual' raiding (via 10-mans and purchaseable tier gear) was a response to the casual crowd while at the same time expanding on hard modes and, eventually, heroic difficulty based on the response to ZA timed runs and the like. Cataclysm was a response to the complaints that Wrath was 'too easy' and that people missed the old world - and many people remember that, at the time of Cataclysm's release, the fans were very excited about the potential the expansion had.

Obviously the biggest complaint in cataclysm, by the end, was the enormous amount of time between content patches. Blizzard yet again is responding to that with Mists of Pandaria. From a personal standpoint, I couldn't be happier - Mists is shaping up to be everything I had hoped for and more (though time will tell if that remains true throughout the expansion's lifetime). There will always be passionate people on the forums, and there will always be outspoken negativity. But as long as Blizzard continues to adapt their strategy based on the feedback they receive from the playerbase, WoW will continue to utterly dominate the field.
    Very well said indeed. It's too bad the negative responses weren't this well put we could get some real discussion going instead of name-calling and bickering.

That said, Blizzard MUST keep up this pace of content release to keep a large number of players after stating this, i believe. Mop is turning out to be a shining example of what can be done with an aging game. I'm having a blast with 5.2 and am looking forward to future content being release BEFORE I'm done with it.