Thread: Saints Row IV

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Saints Row IV

Surprise! It seems it will be launching at the end of August this year! Bet you never expected that, did you? Neither did I! This makes me quite happy.

For those of you that don't know, the Saints Row franchise is like a version of Grand Theft Auto franchise that moves away from realism... fully and into the realm of insanity. It's been under the patronage of THQ until recently since THQ kind of died But hopefully their legacy will live on through sequels of their games. And I sure hope SRIV will be good.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ailer-revealed

In the next open-world installment of Saints Row, Deep Silver Volition continues the story of the Third Street Saints by elevating their status to the highest level - the leaders of the free world. In Saints Row IV, the head honcho of the Saints has been elected to the Presidency of the United States. But the Saints are just getting started. Now the larger-than-life insanity of the Saints series gets a new twist with a catastrophic alien invasion, and the aliens have transported the Saints to a bizarro-Steelport simulation. Wield gargantuan superpowers and fight to free humanity from alien granddaddy Zinyak's mental grasp. Escape the simulation that's trapped the Saints crew, or die trying.
    Saints Row IV lets players delve into an arsenal of alien weaponry and technology that will turn each Saint into an ultimate entity of destruction. Utilize out-of-this-world superpowers to fight all the way to the top. With intensified action and enhanced customization, players can use their newfound superpowers and leap over buildings, outrun the fastest sports cars, or send enemies flying with telekinesis in the greatest, most insane installment of Saints Row yet.

Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2013-03-15 at 10:31 PM.

I can't wait. Will defiantly be a day 1 purchase for me considering how much I love 3.

Cool trailer. Didn't expect a 4, but looking forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

10+ Year Old Account
    presidency, alien invasion, wonder what theyll do in the fifth game lol

10+ Year Old Account
    It is meant to include the super hero expansion that got put on hold for 4
    I just hope Deep silver intends to hold onto the Volition guys if it was the dead island guys it would be death of the game
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    I just hope Deep silver intends to hold onto the Volition guys if it was the dead island guys it would be death of the game
    Yup, from what I understand it will also include that as well as more content. To be honest I'm quite excited about this.

I'm surprised however, I checked the announcement on facebook and there's lots of comments that say "uh, it looks like SR3" or "oh, why did they have to move away from SR1 and 2? Don't they know what their fans want?" and other stuff. I find these arguments kind of ignorant, for first type, because it's not graphics that make the game, it's gameplay, and the SR3 already had good graphics, and for second argument because, to be honest, it's the third game that got most attention and with the success of GTA series SR had to do something to move away from them in some terms, they chose realism and made their game crazy which was a great move from my view.
    I could understand these people's points if the game was dieing, but SR3 was actually a game that kept THQ alive for more time almost on its own and was a great success.

Deep Silver have a good history of publishing great games, especially some of the more niche genres. So SR4 should be good.

Which reminds me, while browsing Deep Silver's catalouge of games; X:Rebirth is slated to release this year! Can't wait for that.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

My only hope is that they heard some of the complaints and took them to heart, especially all of the side activities that were stripped out from 2 to 3. 3 Is a fun game, but it lost its longevity when they removed those. I played 2 for months, 3 lasted a weekend. Still, it was a fun game.

Deleted
    This is coming a lot quicker than I expected. Trailer didn't really give me anything to make a judgement on but assuming that there's still co-op available it'll be a definite release purchase for me.

Hopefully it isn't just a padded out version of the cancelled expansion. Looks to me like it might be, that being said I'll wait and see but it looks too ridiculous now for my tastes.

One of the games I'm carefully positive about instead of my typical cynicism!

Saints Row the Third was the best GTA-like game of the past 3 years and definately stuck it to the over serious and boring pooper of GTA4
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Well, they bought Volition with the Saints Row property, so assuming SR4 sells reasonably well (they shouldn't need super high sales numbers given that they got to avoid a huge chunk of the development bill and picked up the game/studio AND Metro for a total of $28M) and they make a nice profit on it, I don't see why they would axe them. It's a profitable franchise, and removing the studio behind a franchise like that is rarely a good move.

redit: Also, I'm pretty amped. SR3 was spectacular and I'm looking forward to more delightfully over the top shenanigans.

oh my god! cant wait!

I loved 1 and 2 because it was a some what "realistic" gang game, then three was taking the piss out of its self, but kept it so entertaining at the same time, love the series so much!

---------- Post added 2013-03-16 at 07:47 PM ----------

Omg lmao, its just hilarious watching the trailer, trying to think that a few years back, it was neck and neck with GTA for being a gang style game

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Omg lmao, its just hilarious watching the trailer, trying to think that a few years back, it was neck and neck with GTA for being a gang style game
    I think they realized they can't out-GTA GTA, so they went in another direction, which was damn smart on their part. Honestly, that other direction (the absurd) is what got me interested as I generally don't care much about gang style sandbox games (modern GTA's).

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how ridiculously over the top these games are.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    I love how ridiculously over the top these games are.
    I agree. I bought the third game, expecting a GTA clone, and loved how over the top it was. There is something to be said for a game that's down to earth and realistic, but as edgecrusher pointed out, GTA has that more than covered already.

I cant be the only one that is a little disapointed at how much this looks like SR3?

Its pretty much an expansion pack that will probally be $60...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
    I cant be the only one that is a little disapointed at how much this looks like SR3?

Its pretty much an expansion pack that will probally be $60...
    Ok, in the end that's a trailer. Thinks might still change until the finished product. That said, SR3 was not a bad looking game. It didn't look like Crysis either, but it looked and still looks ok for the time. From the trailer however I do see some improvement in texture quality. Not much, but it's there.

In the end though, I'm more interested in gameplay. The game looks ok, but is it going to be ok? Because, if you think about it, it can be the most realistic looking game, looking better then real life... if the gameplay is bad, the game is bad. And I think this is what we should be worrying about first. This is what I worry about.

I worry about them reusing too much of Steelport to make it boring in a way, you could say I'm worried I'll start playing and think "but I've seen all this before". I'm also worried about how long it will last. I played SR3 for 60 hours until I had most stuff finished ad I enjoyed every bit of it. But if SR4 will have same town and it won't be expanded at all, it will take much of the exploration part away, the awe.

That said, until they give off more details, I can't talk certain about anything. I can only hope it will be a good game for I fell in love with the series after I saw SR3.

I liked the 3rd but this one is basicaly Sr3.1 or like a expansion, graphics and art are the exacly the same as the 3rd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
    nope.

But if there is anything I hate about SR3, it's the body types that are available to males and poor selection of clothing. I hope that this is something that is expanded on in future games, it was fairly disappointing.