Thread: New SSD

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New SSD

My father is looking for a new SSD for his work laptop, he wants at least 250 GB, can anybody recommend a good one?

He is a bit picky though so possibly a link to some reviews as well from a reputable source

Thanks

Crucial M4 256GB

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fignewtonss View Post
    My father is looking for a new SSD for his work laptop, he wants at least 250 GB, can anybody recommend a good one?

He is a bit picky though so possibly a link to some reviews as well from a reputable source

Thanks

Samsung 840 Pro.

Pretty much the fastest SSD you can buy..

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/519...iew/index.html

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Crucial M4 256GB
    I'd also suggest this.

Or if he can wait to see how well the Crucial m500 SSDs are, they are likely going to really bring about the next-gen style of SSDs.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'd also suggest this.

Or if he can wait to see how well the Crucial m500 SSDs are, they are likely going to really bring about the next-gen style of SSDs.
    Any word on when they are due out?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Any word on when they are due out?
    Some are saying Q1 2013, but it's almost over... Q2 2013 was mentioned on Crucial's press release, so I think within the next 3 months!

I'm very very excited. ;o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krytz View Post
    Samsung 840 Pro.

Pretty much the fastest SSD you can buy..

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/519...iew/index.html
    Agree, faster than the m4 in almost everything.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Agree, faster than the m4 in almost everything.
    Yeah and you're really going to notice it in real time usage. An additional 50MB/s is just possible going to load your game 0,4s faster so it isn't its money worth it especially for a laptop.

Thanks forthe replies I will show him your replies and let him choose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Yeah and you're really going to notice it in real time usage. An additional 50MB/s is just possible going to load your game 0,4s faster so it isn't its money worth it especially for a laptop.
    Riiight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXwIS9If_rY

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/355?vs=665
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-03-16 at 01:49 AM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I said real time usage, not benchmarks. Are those apps you are running everyday?

Benchmarks != actual usage. Unless you do spend all your time running benchmarks, in which case you are a hardware reviewer and should know that difference already.

10+ Year Old Account
    How should I know what kind of apps he was running, he wanted an SSD to run for his work.
    Ofcourse people are gonna notice a difference, it's 100 % faster in mb/s in some cases. Don't be silly.

How should I know what kind of apps he was running, he wanted an SSD to run for his work.
    Ofcourse people are gonna notice a difference, it's 100 % faster in mb/s in some cases. Don't be silly.
    The Mb/s throughput isn't the only metric. The operations per second and the random 4k read is what matters. Pure throughput only matters if you are writing huge files all the time.

In the OP he was clearly saying it's for work and who runs benchmarks all day for his work? For his use it's clearly that a 840 pro is just extra money waste while Crucial is giving almost like every month a new firmware update for their 2-3 years old Crucial M4 which has been proven many times it's a reliable SSD.

I just don't like to recommend expensive stuff to people who are only using a laptop/desktop to open Word documents & browsing and sometimes playing music.

* and those firmware updates are more than just bugfixes. One of them increased the performance by about 20%. Other companies would just put out an "M4v2" for 10 dollars extra; Crucial gave everybody the upgrade for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    * and those firmware updates are more than just bugfixes. One of them increased the performance by about 20%. Other companies would just put out an "M4v2" for 10 dollars extra; Crucial gave everybody the upgrade for free.
    Optimizing is not always bugfixing you know..

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't see why people think the more expensive SSD's are any better. Twice as fast as instant is still instant.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

thanks all for the posts, he has decided to get the m4 512 GB version. He will order it as soon as he finds as good a price as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I still don't see why people think the more expensive SSD's are any better. Twice as fast as instant is still instant.
    God forbid people to get an ssd who is faster in every aspect and better brand for 20-25 $ more. Might aswell get the cheapest kingston ssd there is then, since speed doesn't matter....