Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Yes, that is a nice model made by a fan, but what are you trying to tell us here?
    Nothing I just liked it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    It doesn't have to be expansion exclusive to be an expansion selling point. Some of the selling points of MoP were Pet Battles and the ability to play as a panda, both things which can be done without any expansions.
    yes exactly, people don't understand what selling point means, and how it work. It's not something that force you to buy it, but one more reason to do it.
    Like Pandarens for example, you can play them without MoP, but new race was one of the biggest selling points for this expansion. Something you can put in the commercial - "hey guys we have new race in WoW, you should check it out"
    and even if you don't buy expansion, you will pay for subscription, and don't even say anything about trial accounts, returning players doesn't care about them.

Now imagine how big excitment new player models will cause, this will make a lot of people to go back to WoW, just for pure curiosity how their Dwarf gonna look like now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgesh View Post
    Nothing I just liked it
    It has a derp face It's cute!<3
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    Character models are a much much larger job than updating the water engine. I wouldn't be surprised if updated models is a selling point for the next expansion.
    The Cataclysm world changes were bigger and applied to everyone, so will new character models. If they wanted to they could add more customization for the new expac but they probably wont.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty confident in saying that they won't require players to purchase an expansion to get access to the new player character models. Given past model upgrades, I'd say they probably won't even have the option to revert to the old models based on personal preference.

I do think that they'll be treated as an expansion selling point, and will probably be released in the expansion's "systems patch," 5.5 or 5.7 or whatever it may be.

I totally buy the possibility of fourth specs and new character model updates coming together in the next expansion, along with (hopefully) improved character customization options. I also don't think it precludes the introduction of a new player race or hero class, though the amount of work it takes to recreate 24 character models is likely to limit other modeling tasks. I could see Ethereals, for example, getting introduced as a neutral race; their very nature would likely make modeling and texturing them easier than a flesh-and-blood race.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgesh View Post
    Nothing I just liked it
    That is badass. I play Alliance. But if we got that model for Orcs, I would faction change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionspride View Post
    It has a derp face It's cute!<3
    Yes he's quite a Zuggy-Wuggy

There's no way they'll require an expansion to have the new models, I'm 99% sure that when they switch over, they'll switch all models over. Don't think it's really feasible for them to have old models for some, new models for others.

And it's entirely possible to have the new models before an expansion. LFR and transmog could have easily been expansion sellers: in fact, they said LFR was going to be released in MoP but they couldn't wait till then to release it so they released it earlier in 5.3. Same thing could happen with the new models. But, the release date of the new models is probably going to only depend on when they're done, and not depend on when they think it would help marketing most or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post
    The prototype faces were retarded.
    http://vailwolf.deviantart.com/art/N...Face-172179066

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Yes then my troll will keep the pixel for each toe because they look amazing.... How do you hate something that isn't even out yet?
    It really doens't matter how much quality they have or how many people love them. Because those that don't will scream louder.

Still, as long as Blizzard creates a good variety of faces and skins, most players will find one that fits their character. Because I'm taking for granted that every character will get a free appearance change.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    It really doens't matter how much quality they have or how many people love them. Because those that don't will scream louder.

Still, as long as Blizzard creates a good variety of faces and skins, most players will find one that fits their character. Because I'm taking for granted that every character will get a free appearance change.
    Knowing Blizzards recent obsession with money over their fans, we will probably have to buy appearance changes if/when new models come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrox View Post
    Knowing Blizzards recent obsession with money over their fans, we will probably have to buy appearance changes if/when new models come out.
    I sincerely doubt that..

We'll be doing that by not jumping ship to the other MMOs with better graphics. Extremely unlikely there will be an extra tax involved.

I guess i'm out of the loop, what specifically are you referring to?

You must have some pretty convincing evidence of this obsession, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Sianl View Post
    We'll be doing that by not jumping ship to the other MMOs with better graphics. Extremely unlikely there will be an extra tax involved.
    Agreed. That would just tarnish Blizzard's reputation overall more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Conbot View Post
    I guess i'm out of the loop, what specifically are you referring to?

You must have some pretty convincing evidence of this obsession, no?
    Oh you know, Blizzard forcing people to pay for server transfers and um,... a couple of mounts on the online store and a few vanity pets..... While they've added more team members than ever before and almost doubled the rate of new content for the same price,... ummmm

The model update will be free I would say, feature of the next expansion or not it will just be something everyone has access to, like the water update. And some people here seem not to be aware of Ghostcrawler's tweet concerning the option to keep your original model if you'd like. He said it's likely something they are considering to reduce the criticism level, but he did use the word might. I don't see why not though, it's basically common sense. *knocks on wood*

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    The Cataclysm world changes were bigger and applied to everyone, so will new character models. If they wanted to they could add more customization for the new expac but they probably wont.
    They probably won't, but they might. There is a very good reason why we have the limited character creation system we have, and no, it's not because Blizzard is lazy and cutting corners. They made WOW to appeal to people who had never played an MMO and they didn't' want you to get all into the momentum of discovering the game and loading it up and then being faced with dozens and dozens of choices that could take you hours to sort through. They wanted something elegant and not intimidating, something that gave you just enough choice to make you feel like you had an identity of your own, with the bold over the top visuals and instantly recognizable shapes and colors they carefully assembled and balanced. Or, you could take Samwise's quote on the matter:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/11/24/po...in-cataclysm/2

We gave very simple choices, and there wasn't any of this 'Is my guy five pounds overweight? Are his eyes sea blue or sky blue?' Don't get me wrong, that sort of thing is cool, but we made a very simple UI and character creator, and that's one of the main things that helped people gravitate to the game.
    If they add more customization, I would expect maybe a handful of new skin colors and hairstyles and possibly the much requested ethnic features, but nothing too complex. But Blizzard has had 10 years of people moaning about the limited character creation, so now is as good of a time as any to do something about it. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'll use any excuse to talk about this subject I can as it's basically all I think about when I play WOW for many many years, as much as I love WOW's current visuals and older models for their charm, I just can't wait to see what Blizzard can do with the classic races infused with the nuance and life of the Pandaren or Goblins.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-03-17 at 04:34 PM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW