Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    If your not Crit stacking and doing Atonement only then you really are gimping your raid period end of story.
    Eh, no.. not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    If your not Crit stacking and doing Atonement only then you really are gimping your raid period end of story.
    Aren't "period" and "end of story" synonyms for "I can't back this up but I want to believe it is right although it oviously is not"? Because it is not - right that is.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2013-03-24 at 12:02 AM.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gottan View Post
    Yeah there is not a huge difference between mastery and crit, but if you want higher steady output "on demand" and stronger utlility cds, i would say haste/mastery beats crit/mastery. Inner focus is another example, the more mastery you get the stronger it gets.

I can also state an example how Archangel scales with mastery. Lets say you have 20% increased healing from mastery raidbuffed.
    You cast a penance offensivly ticking for 40k -> 40k -> 40k. The outcome of atonement would be 48k -> 48k -> 48k. (40 * 1.2)
    With a 5 stack archangel up the outcome would be 60k -> 60k -> 60k (48 * 1.25)
    Lets say we had 7.15% additional haste apart from raid buff so penance channel = ~1.78s
    hps without aa= ~80.9k (raw healing assuming no crits)
    hps with AA= ~101k (raw healing assuming no crits)

Now lets do the same but with lower mastery lets say 10% increased healing and 20% increased absorbs. 100% crit and 3% increased dmg/healing meta.

You cast a penance offensivly ticking for 40k -> 40k -> 40k. The outcome of atonement would be 45.3k -> 45.3k -> 45.3k. (40 * 1.1 * 1.03)
    With a 5 stack archangel up the outcome would be 56.6k -> 56.6k -> 56.6k (45.3 * 1.25)
    Lets say we had 0% additional haste apart from raid buff so penance channel = ~1.9s
    hps without aa= ~71.5k (raw healing assuming 100% crits)
    hps with AA= ~89.3k (raw healing assuming 100% crits)

As you can see from the calculations above, the raw healing output will always be higher running haste/mastery, what's hard taking in consideration is the unused aegis. However with more haste you cast more spells. Even if your crit is lower you will still have more spells that have a chance to crit, even if the chance is lower.

This calculation was made purely based on penance though, if you would take a spell such as smite, the difference wouldnt be as big.

Sincerly yours, Gottan
    These calculations make no sense... You say 100% crit, and yet don't factor crit into any calculations anywhere, basically your comparison is "Let's look at one build with more mastery and one with less and see what's better"

OT: I reforged for crit this week, numbers were significantly higher. DA was actually in my top 3 again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotta say, after reading this thread I went and reforged crit instead of my usual mastery and changed up my gems, went and tried a LFR raid and I absolutely hated it. I went running back to the reforger immediately after. Perhaps my gear just isn't good enough to support the crit playstyle.

Is there a number where mastery might be better than crit right now and vice versa?

The priests that are stacking crit, are priests who have access to 25% crit WITHOUT RAID BUFFS. So in a raid they are looking at 30% crit.

Personally, I prefer the mastery build. I am hovering around 41% absorbs and 21% healing in raids, and I love it. My PW:Shields are massive, and I still have 20% crit on top of it, so when my PW:Shields do crit, I am looking at a 250k+ absorb on someone.

With the amount of mobility in a lot of fights, it's huge. Being able to rely on your shields having a flat amount of absorbs, and your atonment still do significant amounts of healing on the move is amazing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I've gotta say, after reading this thread I went and reforged crit instead of my usual mastery and changed up my gems, went and tried a LFR raid and I absolutely hated it. I went running back to the reforger immediately after. Perhaps my gear just isn't good enough to support the crit playstyle.

Is there a number where mastery might be better than crit right now and vice versa?
    Not really no. The difference between mastery and crit stacking is also so minor that you won't notice the difference during an lfr. You simply had worse rng/played worse/felt under the weather.

The priests that are stacking crit, are priests who have access to 25% crit WITHOUT RAID BUFFS. So in a raid they are looking at 30% crit.
    Crit doesn't get better with more crit, quite the contrary. Mastery scales off crit, and crit scales off mastery. Since you have such a big amount of base mastery this means that you gear for straight crit at a low gear level and start to get some mastery as well once you reach a higher gear level (assuming that you are aiming purely for output, for 10 pure crit stacking is probably superior due to the added dps).

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Not really no. The difference between mastery and crit stacking is also so minor that you won't notice the difference during an lfr. You simply had worse rng/played worse/felt under the weather.

Crit doesn't get better with more crit, quite the contrary. Mastery scales off crit, and crit scales off mastery. Since you have such a big amount of base mastery this means that you gear for straight crit at a low gear level and start to get some mastery as well once you reach a higher gear level (assuming that you are aiming purely for output, for 10 pure crit stacking is probably superior due to the added dps).
    True, but i was just saying the priests that can RELY on crit are the ones who are already in heroic gear, and full ToT crit gear. Last tier there wasn't much crit, so until you start really getting geared this tier crit will be harder to find(unless you switch all your gems of course)

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps atonement healing is better served in 25m, which I raid. In 10m I could see the benefit to shield spamming (read: mana wasting) and perhaps therein lies the preference. But numbers don't lie, I raided this week, ranked on every fight (better than 50), beat every other healer in raid, and satisfied my curiousty with proof.

For priests that atonement as filler, bubble for rapture, ss for damage abilities, and basically do everything else properly, crit is, in my opinion, the way to go in 5.2.
    Last edited by ramaathorn; 2013-03-25 at 06:52 AM.