Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Should there be a CRZ opt out?

So I've been having a great time leveling my hunter solely through questing. I usually level almost completely through dungeons as I'm usually playing healers, I rarely play any pure dps classes. Now that I'm level 80 though I've hit a roadblock. I went to Hyjal to start questing and was immediately killed by a level 90. I wasn't bothered by it because I'm on a PvP server and it's to be expected but upon rezzing I was immediately killed once again. This happens about 3 or 4 more times before I finally decide to just log off and find something else to do. A little while later I decide to try again and of course, I'm immediately ganked. There was at least 5 level 90s all in the same area just ganking lowbies, it's impossible to even mount up and fly off somewhere else.

Now I know I'm probably going to be getting the "lol PvP realm, deal with it or gtfo" replies but I shouldn't have to fork over nearly $100 just so I can level without worry of being ganked endlessly. When I first started playing in 06 I didn't even know what an MMO was, it was my first online game. I had no idea what PvP went and just selected a server and began to play. I made friends and joined a guild that I'm still in today. If I had known then what PvP meant I would have rolled on a PvE server. Even so, I like my server. It's practically dead and there's hardly anything going on but I know almost everyone on my server and the community is as good as I could expect it to be anymore. I liked being able to go out into the world and do quests without being bothered, or if I was I would be able to at least defend myself because most of the time people of the opposite faction that I ran into in the world weren't there solely for the purpose of killing people who have no chance at even defending themselves. I liked being able to level professions quickly without spending gobs and gobs of gold on mats or having to deal with hours of farming scarce resource nodes because of the countless people from other servers taking all of the nodes. Especially being on a dead server this is terrible as there's hardly any mats on the AH as it is.

There's also an issue with shitbags that you'll likely never run into again so you can camp them into oblivion. For example, I was trying to farm for Loque'nahak earlier on my hunter and as I was making my usual circle of Sholazar my npcscan went off. I was so excited I dropped off my mount in mid-air and targeted him to being taming him. I soon realized though that I couldn't tame him... because he was level 85. Some hunter had posted his Loque at one of the spawn points so that people's npcscan would go off. Besides all that, apparently he had also been flying all over Northrend looking for other popular hunter pets and killing them. Usually someone like this on my server would be put on a KoS list by my guild and anyone who was told about him, now though, it's pretty unlikely people will run into him. This may be a bad example but you get the idea.

I just feel like CRZ should be optional. Sure, I wouldn't mind it sometimes while other times I'd just want to be on my own without anyone else to bother me. I know that's almost certain to never happen though. So maybe at the very least there could be phasing that separated all of the people in a zone by their combat level so that people of the appropriate level for the zone could go on questing/farming or whatever and PvP with others of their own level while the 90s and other higher level players could go about their world PvP'ing as usual. Although I'm sure a good majority of the people that claim to love CRZ for the PvP aspects are the people that sit at the Dark Portal killing lowbies before they've even finished loading into the zone.

Suppose this is mostly a rant, sorry for the wall of text. Just wanted express my feelings for CRZ.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there shouldn't be. I don't know much about programming and coding and all that, but if we have this many issues with CRZ as it is, I could see that many more issue s pop up from people opting out.

Example: My low pop realm (Azshara) attempted to do Oondasta the other day. We had about three raid groups going with all three having a good number of cross realm players, mostly from Illidan. The raid group I was in phased back and forth between Azshara and Illidan more times than I could count because the raid leaders couldn't seem to get the balance right. That and they passed out assist to Illidan people who kept inviting more and more from Illidan. Oondasta was on Azshara btw, so the problem is obvious. Imagine adding opted-out players to the mix, how would this complicate things further?

I'd prefer CRZ never have been implemented, but lets just leave things as they are now. No need to give Blizzard any further reason to complicate. Also, PvP realm is PvP realm, despite the ass-hattery that seems to be getting more and more out of control.

That sounds like fun lol. As for CRZ and world bosses, if you opt out, you can't join a CRZ group until you opt back in. I know with all the coding it's probably impossible to do though, which is why I suggested phasing to group people of similar level.

10+ Year Old Account
    But then what happens if a lvl 90 wants to go back and farm old content for something like, say, Bloodsail Admiral. Phased lower levels would see guards and NPCs dropping dead for no reason, or did you mean lower levels would be entirely on their own server. If that is the case, I doubt Blizz would ever want to spend the resources on that.

Also, that would pretty much bring us back to the PvP and PvE server option. If you don't want these problems, go PvE server.

Now would I COULD see happening (but i doubt will), is a one time free, or at least greatly discounted, option to transfer from a PvP to a PvE server.
    Last edited by Xochi; 2013-03-13 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xochi View Post
    But then what happens if a lvl 90 wants to go back and farm old content for something like, say, Bloodsail Admiral. Phased lower levels would see guards and NPCs dropping dead for no reason, or did you mean lower levels would be entirely on their own server. If that is the case, I doubt Blizz would ever want to spend the resources on that.
    Why? It's called WoW pre-CRZ grief.

To OP: whatever you feel about it, don't report grievers - the more harm they will do, the faster developers will start reconsidering all that CRZ nonsence.

So you want to use PvP against those who upset you but don't want to deal with PvP at any other time. Maybe you should have read up on the differences of PvP and PvE realms when you began your WoW career.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    I'm not following you, sorry if I'm a bit slow. How does Blizzard not wanting to spend resources on giving low level PvP realm players their own server apart from max level PvP players = wow pre-CRZ. Low and max level players have always shared realms.

With how faceroll they made the game (no elites pre-80) and such I don't see why they ever felt CRZ was needed. 'Dead zones' still feel dead, except they're the only place you're going to be able to go without being griefed into the ground by people from 8 different servers. Really the whole thing is their attempt at server merging without having to give people transfers. Think about it. Now that CRZ will make zones alive and blah blah blah they don't have to even read posts from people complaining that their server is dead. They don't have to do free transfers. They just kick back and count the money coming in from people fleeing off servers that have become hell holes because of CRZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    So you want to use PvP against those who upset you but don't want to deal with PvP at any other time. Maybe you should have read up on the differences of PvP and PvE realms when you began your WoW career.
    Don't nitpick what I said. I'm fine with PvP, but I'm not fine with being ganked so badly that I can't even mount up before I'm killed again. As for killing people that upset me, yeah... they've sort of got it coming. When another hunter who already has these rare pets that other people have spent days, weeks or even months trying to farm just goes out and kills the rares for shits'n'giggles he oughta expect to be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    Don't nitpick what I said. I'm fine with PvP, but I'm not fine with being ganked so badly that I can't even mount up before I'm killed again. As for killing people that upset me, yeah... they've sort of got it coming. When another hunter who already has these rare pets that other people have spent days, weeks or even months trying to farm just goes out and kills the rares for shits'n'giggles he oughta expect to be killed.
    So PvP solution for one thing but not another? Once again it seems you only want PvP when it benefits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    With how faceroll they made the game (no elites pre-80) and such I don't see why they ever felt CRZ was needed. 'Dead zones' still feel dead, except they're the only place you're going to be able to go without being griefed into the ground by people from 8 different servers.
    Exactly, there's no real world PvP going on. It's all just ganking by people that have nothing better to do than kill players dozens of levels below them and try to prevent them from being able to level at all. Nobody talks, nobody groups up for anything... it's all pretty useless. Pretty much the only people CRZ benefits are the gankers. There's just no incentive to do anything with these people from other servers with how fast leveling is now. You do a few dungeons and a handful of quests and you've already got a few levels and you move on to the next zone.

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 11:23 PM ----------

So PvP solution for one thing but not another? Once again it seems you only want PvP when it benefits you.
    What are you talking about? I want PvP to be PvP, not ganking. Killing someone once because they did something, say, steal a node, quest mob, rare spawn etc. is PvP. Killing lowbies for no other reason than to aggravate them and ruin their time is just... idk, pointless?

What are you talking about? I want PvP to be PvP, not ganking. Killing someone once because they did something, say, steal a node, quest mob, rare spawn etc. is PvP. Killing lowbies for no other reason than to aggravate them and ruin their time is just... idk, pointless?
    PvP is player versus player in any manner. You only want PvP on your own terms however.

I wish Blizzard would just bite the bullet and start merging realms.

I understand chars' naming issues would be a month and a half of drama/QQ/rage, but it can be dealt with, vanity pets can be offered as bait/compensation. Stuff that wouldn't cost Blizzard a penny.

Blizz went the CRZ route and now have had to pull an incentive away from that because of the world boss 'omg 200 people are here holy shit the server will explode'.

PvP is player versus player in any manner. You only want PvP on your own terms however.
    Well obviously this is a pointless argument. I would call it player killing, not player versus player. PvP suggests that both players fight, not one oneshotting the other. It's fine though, none of this is what I was talking about in the first place. All I'm saying is that I would prefer if CRZ wasn't FORCED onto people that didn't want it.

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 11:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kiteh View Post
    I wish Blizzard would just bite the bullet and start merging realms.

I understand chars' naming issues would be a month and a half of drama/QQ/rage, but it can be dealt with, vanity pets can be offered as bait/compensation. Stuff that wouldn't cost Blizzard a penny.

Blizz went the CRZ route and now have had to pull an incentive away from that because of the world boss 'omg 200 people are here holy shit the server will explode'.
    Yeah I agree. Or at least free server transfers. My original server received free transfers to 2 different realms because the server (Dentarg) was just so dead. There was some kind of crazy Alliance to Horde ratio like 1:20 or something.

Well obviously this is a pointless argument. I would call it player killing, not player versus player. PvP suggests that both players fight, not one oneshotting the other. It's fine though, none of this is what I was talking about in the first place. All I'm saying is that I would prefer if CRZ wasn't FORCED onto people that didn't want it.
    It's forced on you as much as you are forced to click that 'Login' button after entering in your personal info.

You know, all of these complaints about CRZ are actually complaints about how WoW's PVP works. All CRZ does is put you in contact with other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Because they put CRZ in for a reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It's forced on you as much as you are forced to click that 'Login' button after entering in your personal info.
    There's just no reasoning with you >.>

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 11:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    You know, all of these complaints about CRZ are actually complaints about how WoW's PVP works. All CRZ does is put you in contact with other players.
    Guess you missed the part where I said it negatively impacts the economy, especially on my dead server. CRZ doesn't accomplish very much because there's very, very few who are enjoying CRZ as it was meant to be enjoyed, as a way to get people out in the world interacting with each other. Most of the interaction is ganking.

So I play on a dead PvE server for 2 years trying to farm mats and camp rares (with no luck on the rare front) and now with CRZ I am suddenly 'in contact' with other players?

'Hey guys so glad you arrived, cheers for taking Aeonaxx, can you post some stuff on my realms' AH to at least balance something?'

They can't.

At least make places with rare spawn mount rewards non-CRZ, to give a chance to the players that have had to play on dead realms.

Guess you missed the part where I said it negatively impacts the economy, especially on my dead server. CRZ doesn't accomplish very much because there's very, very few who are enjoying CRZ as it was meant to be enjoyed, as a way to get people out in the world interacting with each other. Most of the interaction is ganking.
    Doubt it has any significant effect on your realm's economy. And heaps of people enjoy it as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiteh View Post
    So I play on a dead PvE server for 2 years trying to farm mats and camp rares (with no luck on the rare front) and now with CRZ I am suddenly 'in contact' with other players?

'Hey guys so glad you arrived, cheers for taking Aeonaxx, can you post some stuff on my realms' AH to at least balance something?'

They can't.

At least make places with rare spawn mount rewards non-CRZ, to give a chance to the players that have had to play on dead realms.
    CRZ was never intended to fix dead realms. Why farm mats on a dead realm anyway? You can't sell shit on a dead AH.

Rares like TLPD/Aeonaxx were always intended to be subject to fierce competition and hard to get. In a way, being able to farm them easily because nobody was in the zone anymore was an exploit. The game is back the way it was originally intended. The fact you don't like the way it was intended isn't CRZ's fault. And I'm not saying it's unreasonable to dislike the way the game is designed, maybe competing with hundreds of people for mats or rares DOES suck, and maybe the way ganking works IS crap. All I'm saying is, CRZ isn't the cause of those issues and getting rid of it is just throwing the baby out with the bathwater. If you don't like those things, complain about them - not CRZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

-snip -
    That's fine and dandy but your previous very broad statement of 'You know, all of these complaints about CRZ are actually complaints about how WoW's PVP works. All CRZ does is put you in contact with other players.' is plain wrong.