Page 28 of 69 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Injin View Post
    Except that there are no longer any raids for people who can't do cutting edge dps/hps but still want some organised content to go at. i.e. wow now lacks what in other games would be called a "normal mode." it;s either piss easy (lfr) or hard ("normal") or insanely difficult (HC mode)

And that is where the raiders have gone. Whether you think this is a good thing or not depends on your POV I guess. But, mystery solved.
    WoW lacks beer league. Or something equivalent to beer league softball teams. In Wrath on weekends all we did was beer league raiding and it was great and I literally did it drinking beer. Fantastic. Now we que for lfr and get put with strangers but if we try and organize for the normals it's not fun because the instance design and difficulty is so poor.

Again I'm all for some challenging bosses and I'm all for heroic mode raids but why did normals have to get so difficult this expansion?

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gondlem View Post

There's a reason why this tier is getting such high praise from all corners of the raiding community, which is that it's the best they've done in terms of balancing the needs of various types of players since Ulduar.
    This tier is getting praise from a hardcore minority that equates difficulty with a good raid. That wasn't what made Ulduar or Icc of any of peoples favorite raids great. ToT is more like Sunwell. A fraction of the player base and a fraction of the raiding player base saw Sunwell and I'm ssure they praised it. That is however not saying much.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-03-23 at 05:35 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    This tier is getting praise from a hardcore minority that equates difficulty with a good raid. That wasn't what made Ulduar or Icc of any of peoples favorite raids great. ToT is more like Sunwell. A fraction of the player base and a fraction of the raiding player base saw Sunwell and I'm ssure they praised it. That is however not saying much.
    I disagree. Personally, everyone I know in game loves the new patch and its content, from hardcore raiders to the most casual. Obviously there's always going to be people whining on the forums, and there was during Ulduar too, but I've played this game a long time and it's been a long time since I saw such generally positive assessments of a content patch. There's way more to do in the world than there has been in a while, and ToT itself is the best raid zone they've done in a long time. The tuning, the bosses, the mechanics, the look of the zone and the atmosphere are all top notch. Consider running ToT as an experience and compare it to Dragon Soul for instance. There's a world of difference in terms of quantity and quality of new content. And for once it's not just one or two encounters that stand out, like in ICC and Firelands which both had one memorable boss.

I do think Sunwell was a great content patch as well though, the island was a ton of fun and the raid zone was great. ToT is a lot more accessible though and I think given a bit of time a significant portion of the raiding playerbase will clear it, similar to last tier. The main difference to recent periods of time in terms of the transition into this tier is that they didn't do a complete gear reset, so players who didn't clear/farm T14 normal modes will need to gear up some more before they can comfortably clear T15 normal modes. That's an adjustment for some players, but it'll be far better for the game in the long run than making every tier obsolete when the new one is released.

Raids always bored me out of my mind. I swear, in my experience 3/4 of the time spent in raids was waiting for stragglers to show up, listening to someone explaining boss strategy in droning monotone, discussing loot distribution, etc etc etc. I switched to LFR at first opportunity and not looking to go back to Normal raiding any time soon. Furthermore, my server is dead.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    People finish their studies and get a proper job. It's hard to raid 3-5 nights per week, with Fridays and Saturdays off like most guilds, when you can't guarantee attendance. I don't really know in advance when there's a social after-work event that pops up, or when I have to put in overtime to finish a deadline project. In the end, I just quit the game altogether, not because I was tired of it (perhaps just a little bit), but mainly because raiding is all I enjoy doing in WoW. No matter what everyone claims, LFR is never a substitute for NM/HM raiding, they are 2 entirely different beasts. LFR is about exploring the content, no raiding guild raids because they want to see the content.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    People finish their studies and get a proper job. It's hard to raid 3-5 nights per week, with Fridays and Saturdays off like most guilds, when you can't guarantee attendance. I don't really know in advance when there's a social after-work event that pops up, or when I have to put in overtime to finish a deadline project. In the end, I just quit the game altogether, not because I was tired of it (perhaps just a little bit), but mainly because raiding is all I enjoy doing in WoW. No matter what everyone claims, LFR is never a substitute for NM/HM raiding, they are 2 entirely different beasts. LFR is about exploring the content, no raiding guild raids because they want to see the content.
    LFR provides alternative path for character progression, that does not require huge time investment and tight schedules.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    I disagree. Personally, everyone I know in game loves the new patch and its content, from hardcore raiders to the most casual. Obviously there's always going to be people whining on the forums, and there was during Ulduar too, but I've played this game a long time and it's been a long time since I saw such generally positive assessments of a content patch. There's way more to do in the world than there has been in a while, and ToT itself is the best raid zone they've done in a long time. The tuning, the bosses, the mechanics, the look of the zone and the atmosphere are all top notch. Consider running ToT as an experience and compare it to Dragon Soul for instance. There's a world of difference in terms of quantity and quality of new content. And for once it's not just one or two encounters that stand out, like in ICC and Firelands which both had one memorable boss.

I do think Sunwell was a great content patch as well though, the island was a ton of fun and the raid zone was great. ToT is a lot more accessible though and I think given a bit of time a significant portion of the raiding playerbase will clear it, similar to last tier. The main difference to recent periods of time in terms of the transition into this tier is that they didn't do a complete gear reset, so players who didn't clear/farm T14 normal modes will need to gear up some more before they can comfortably clear T15 normal modes. That's an adjustment for some players, but it'll be far better for the game in the long run than making every tier obsolete when the new one is released.
    Sound great. however, as most people can't compare running ToT with anything (because they can't actually run TOT beyond maybe jinrokh because tot is overtuned) it's a bit worthless as a comment.

Patch is great, the new isle and the dailies and world bosses, mini bosses etc - all top drawer. Tot normal mode, overtuned, too difficult and frustrating. If I were to compare it with DS i'd say jinrockh is a great example of morchok 2.0 and then afterwards it all becomes a mess. It's not a difficulty curve so much as a difficulty cliff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    LFR provides alternative path for character progression, that does not require huge time investment and tight schedules.
    Raiding is all about teamwork, solving the collective puzzle and gathering the loot reinforcement afterwards. All LFR does of those 3 is offering loot, and it doesn't even reinforce social play. Character progression by mindlessly zerging utterly dumbed down versions of virtual puzzles that normally require coordination and teamwork to solve is no character progression at all. It's the lab rat pressing a lever to receive a dose of sugar water. It's shallow to the core.

It does show you the content, that is what LFR is for IMO, and it does a good job at that.

I equate LFR to living single. No commitments and enjoy whatever time you have to do what you want. Comparing a raiding guild to that of a relationship you have to maintain and cultivate in order to get what you want. For me, one relationship is enough to keep track of. I enjoy playing with people and spending my time efficiently in game so LFR is the best thing for me now. LFR is just an evolution of where this game is headed but a tad too easy. Personally, I think that you should be able to raid in LFR and scale difficulty appropriate to the group that you have and get corresponding rewards.

Patch is great, the new isle and the dailies and world bosses, mini bosses etc - all top drawer. Tot normal mode, overtuned, too difficult and frustrating. If I were to compare it with DS i'd say jinrockh is a great example of morchok 2.0 and then afterwards it all becomes a mess. It's not a difficulty curve so much as a difficulty cliff.
    Like I said, they intentionally avoided a gear reset which is going to be an adjustment for a lot of players. Mechanically there's nothing challenging in normal mode ToT until at least Durumu, but you will need decent gear to meet the dps checks on Horridon and Council. People are meant to farm T14, which is frankly a joke with a 10% nerf and 496/522 gear available on vendors, from crafting etc. Once your average ilvl is approaching the 500 mark, which should be fairly easy with a combination of 496 normal mode T14 gear with upgrades and the new 522 pieces everyone can get, those early bosses aren't particularly challenging. Especially not now that they reduced the difficulty on Horridon and Council.

It is possible to fail at them though, which is a good thing, since normal modes are meant to be the content for non-heroic raiders until next tier.

Deleted
    Like I said, they intentionally avoided a gear reset which is going to be an adjustment for a lot of players.
    Indeed. Already I can see the start of the awful and toxic TBC atmosphere of guild hopping and guild feeding coming back. progression raiding was shit then and it will turn out to be shit now as well - unless you are one of the cutting edge the whole process benefits at the expense of everybody else.
    Mechanically there's nothing challenging in normal mode ToT until at least Durumu, but you will need decent gear to meet the dps checks on Horridon and Council.
    That ain't true. Even jiroch has a few one shot mechanics which preclude taking average or lower end players.
    People are meant to farm T14, which is frankly a joke with a 10% nerf and 496/522 gear available on vendors, from crafting etc. Once your average ilvl is approaching the 500 mark, which should be fairly easy with a combination of 496 normal mode T14 gear with upgrades and the new 522 pieces everyone can get, those early bosses aren't particularly challenging. Especially not now that they reduced the difficulty on Horridon and Council.
    Yeah, people are "supposed" to farm stuff they have already failed at. They won't want to do that and why would they?

People didn't fail at T14 because of the numbers, it was because of godawful mechanics such as garalon.
    It is possible to fail at them though, which is a good thing, since normal modes are meant to be the content for non-heroic raiders until next tier.
    it is possible for one person to have a derp moment and wipe everyone else, which is (here we go again) bad design for normal modes.

Basically tot normal requires the sort of performance from everyone that DS HC did. I understand the underlying processes and I am finding it fun with my main raid but it's all a bit meh if you have to wade through it. It's very meh for those people who want to raid but just aren't much good. (i.e. half the would be raiding population) they have no home at the moment.

And one final thing - that cool, fun guy who everyone likes but can't play very well? He can't raid now. Same with the casual folks who can play well but haven't go ttime to farm gear. Theres no carrying, no leeway. Toxic for socal guilds, really.

People didn't fail at T14 because of the numbers, it was because of godawful mechanics such as garalon.
    Garalon is mechanically challenging? The only challenging part about the fight when we did it Nov 9th was beating the 7 minute enrage with ~480 ilvl (we're a normal mode guild who didn't clear any MSV heroics until December). With 496 ilvl and a 10% nerf to the boss, he should be doable by even a below average group. If your guild still can't clear T14 normal mode with a 10% nerf and gear well above what the bosses drop, it's a L2P issue, not a tuning issue.

I have to agree with Gondlem that this tier is one of the best tiers ever released, and I'm super casual compared to him. If you're "stuck" on a normal mode, especially after nerfs (Horridon, Council of Elders, and Megaera were all recently nerfed), it's time to look at your players, not Blizzard's tuning.

it is possible for one person to have a derp moment and wipe everyone else, which is (here we go again) bad design for normal modes.
    Seriously?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverStop View Post
    Garalon is mechanically challenging?
    Yes, it's mechanically chalenging. LFR is still wiping on it, even now, never mind normal modes.
    The only challenging part about the fight when we did it Nov 9th was beating the 7 minute enrage with ~480 ilvl (we're a normal mode guild who didn't clear any MSV heroics until December). With 496 ilvl and a 10% nerf to the boss, he should be doable by even a below average group. If your guild still can't clear T14 normal mode with a 10% nerf and gear well above what the bosses drop, it's a L2P issue, not a tuning issue.
    My guild cleared T14 before the patch.
    I have to agree with Gondlem that this tier is one of the best tiers ever released, and I'm super casual compared to him. If you're "stuck" on a normal mode, especially after nerfs (Horridon, Council of Elders, and Megaera were all recently nerfed), it's time to look at your players, not Blizzard's tuning.
    I'm not stuck on normal mode.

However, loads and loads of other people are. Garalon was a complete cock block for 50-75% of all raiding guilds back when he was current. He still is, 45% of guilds still haven't got past him, post nerf. And that's raiding guilds - the better end of players to begin with.

When the majority of people who try something fail at it, it's time to look at the design.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 02:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Seriously?
    Yes, absolutely. Theres no good reason for a normal mode raid to have one shot raid wiping mechanics that more or less anyone can trigger, except for arguably the final bosses.

Deleted
    There are more people raiding than ever before.

LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    There are more people raiding than ever before.

LFR.
    That is not raiding, have to take those out of the equation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    That is not raiding, have to take those out of the equation.
    Thats nitpicking. It's the same raiding game just at the easy difficulty. And it has to be easy as it isnt an organized raid tier.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2013-03-24 at 10:29 PM.

No, i read what you said and dismissed it as rubbish, which is a different thing.
    Wow, that's impressive. Luckily, I don't have to speak to casual smart asses. I'ma wave at you with my heroic weapons while you think up ways to waste people's time on forums, ok?

Buhbye!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Thats nitpicking. It's the same raiding game just at the easy difficulty. And it has to be easy as it isnt an unorganized raid tier.
    There are almost no similarities between NM raiding and LFR, aside from the fact that you're pushing buttons to defeat the same monster. There is no teamwork or coordination involved at all in LFR, which is the quintessential element of normal raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    There are almost no similarities between NM raiding and LFR, aside from the fact that you're pushing buttons to defeat the same monster. There is no teamwork or coordination involved at all in LFR, which is the quintessential element of normal raiding.
    Good thing that LFR isn't Normal raiding, just easy mode raiding.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

15+ Year Old Account
    The main reason people don't raid is because their guild doesn't or are giving up. My first real break from raiding was in WotLK when my guild at the time decided to stop raiding during the summer (same year as Cataclysm was gonna come out) so I took a break aswell. THen after summer I came back and joined a new guild and started raiding again.

So basicly as soon as you see you starting to lose people (or you think you are going to lose people) find new ones to replace them ASAP! It is much better to have reserves than it is to not raid at all. Almost all guilds I have been in during Mists of Pandaria have recruited just enough to raid, but almost never have any reserves at all. I wouldn't mind at all to be left out of raiding a bit now and then if it meant we are still raiding on all guild raid nights.