motivation for levelling my professions

So I recently took JC and Enchanting on my (pvp) Rogue - currently sitting on 422 JC and 1 Enchanting - got loads of stuff waiting to DE.

And I've reached a brick wall - I've invested about 3000, maybe 4000 gold into and I just can't see an end.

I don't see my self having the time to make it successful when I hit 600 on both, ultimately, it's for gold, not the perks. there are loads of Jewelcrafters and Enchanters on my server, so I'll have to compete with people in PvE guilds who easily get the mats, and they can afford to go much cheaper than I can.

I've still got a fair bit of gold left to invest in levelling, but I'm just not sure, I can't help but think I should of got 2 gatherer professions then I can just make my gold in between Arena, BGs and RBGs.

Plus the mining and skinning will give me stam and crit buffs.
    Last edited by willtron; 2013-03-17 at 02:15 AM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Well from personal experience, as I have all professions maxed with many engineers as well, JC is quite a gold sink since Pandaria rolled out. Best gold making was done mostly when the new 450 ilvl jewelry was released as most were looking for quick buys to upgrade their ilvl and get going in either PvP or Heroic dungeons. A lot of times it's rough to get started in a fresh market and going up against seasoned AH Watchers, as you'll spend quite a bit of time undercutting/posting and collecting when you get sales. Now you said you don't look for the perks but JC/Enchanting is actually the best you can get on all fronts with potential gold making, perks and self sufficiency. Gold making of course has its ups and downs as does the real world market but the fact that you can disenchant many items you don't want to keep, sell or use is extremely useful especially when you farm old content, if you do.

If you have any alts, I personally have 1 of each class at 85-90, it's a great way to maximize your profit margins and be able to be self sufficient. I love knowing that I can just get on an alt of mine and farm my own things and craft anything I'd like to either use or sell.

Just my two cents.
    ~Ghost~

Quote Originally Posted by GhostGaming View Post
    Well from personal experience, as I have all professions maxed with many engineers as well, JC is quite a gold sink since Pandaria rolled out. Best gold making was done mostly when the new 450 ilvl jewelry was released as most were looking for quick buys to upgrade their ilvl and get going in either PvP or Heroic dungeons. A lot of times it's rough to get started in a fresh market and going up against seasoned AH Watchers, as you'll spend quite a bit of time undercutting/posting and collecting when you get sales. Now you said you don't look for the perks but JC/Enchanting is actually the best you can get on all fronts with potential gold making, perks and self sufficiency. Gold making of course has its ups and downs as does the real world market but the fact that you can disenchant many items you don't want to keep, sell or use is extremely useful especially when you farm old content, if you do.

If you have any alts, I personally have 1 of each class at 85-90, it's a great way to maximize your profit margins and be able to be self sufficient. I love knowing that I can just get on an alt of mine and farm my own things and craft anything I'd like to either use or sell.

Just my two cents.
    ~Ghost~
    I have an alt that's a miner - I'm currently going round Wintergrasp as Titanium is non existent and Saronite ore is 1500g a stack, and there are about, 4 stacks.

My biggest concern is that I'm going to finally hit 600, with both, start listing my stuff, thats already pretty cheap and it just won't be worth my time.

I guess my ultimate, ultimate, pinnacle, number 1 goal is make enough gold to buy an x-51 nether rocket - around 200k.

I know the best way to do that is play the AH but frankly, I don't have the time and it sounds extremely dull and frustrating.

The game plan at the minute is if I do reach 600 on both, make around 25k gold through the shadopan revered enchants - start making the JC mounts, work off the profit while still doing the enchants - eventually make enough profit margin to be able to make onyx, sell those.

???

profit

hello X-51.
    Last edited by willtron; 2013-03-17 at 02:38 AM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I know the best way to do that is play the AH but frankly, I don't have the time and it sounds extremely dull and frustrating.

The game plan at the minute is if I do reach 600 on both, make around 25k gold through the shadopan revered enchants - start making the JC mounts, work off the profit while still doing the enchants - eventually make enough profit margin to be able to make onyx, sell those.
    Few problems with this plan.

1) Prices of the Shado-pan enchants is usually below mats cost on my server. People use them as a way to get rid of mats they get from raiding/daily cooldown, meaning that you can't actually buy the mats and sell enchants. You'd be relegated to just using your cooldown to make Sha crystals and then sell either the enchants or the raw crystals. If your server does have profits on these enchants then more power to you.

2) Jc mounts, the coloured ones, are slow sellers, and the profit margins on them aren't that good when compared to the gold invested, and the time spent selling them. And again here you'll run into the problem of people getting their mats through having their own Alchemist and such, and simply having lower outright costs to make the mounts. This will hurt you when you try and compete in this market.

3) The Onyx mount is a gigantic trap. DO NOT MAKE ONE TO SELL. These mounts are mass duped and sold well below the cost of when you make the mount. Goldsellers bring in level 1's to realms and sell these mounts for 40k a pop, and they have unlimited numbers of them, and I can guarantee you that enough of them will slip through the cracks in Blizz's security system to provide enough people with these mounts that YOUR market will be a miniscule one, consisting only of those people that have the gold to buy one, but not a JC of their own, AND conscious of and unwilling to work with a goldseller to get their mount.

I don't know about the market you are in, but I highly recommend not trying to win enough gold for that rocket in a handful of sales, but do the secure grind to riches, through selling cut gems and simple Mists enchants. It's not fancy, and it can indeed be dull and frustrating to keep it up for a longer period, but I guarantee you that it is the way you will eventually succeed in your goal, while the get-rich-quick-schemes you have in mind are likely to blow up in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I don't know about the market you are in, but I highly recommend not trying to win enough gold for that rocket in a handful of sales, but do the secure grind to riches, through selling cut gems and simple Mists enchants. It's not fancy, and it can indeed be dull and frustrating to keep it up for a longer period, but I guarantee you that it is the way you will eventually succeed in your goal, while the get-rich-quick-schemes you have in mind are likely to blow up in your face.
    ^ The best advice you will get.

Slow and steady wins the race. Every time. It took me about 4 years of selling boring goods, but I'm finally a wow millionaire. Which is something most players will never be able to say. Don't overlook the simple route.

Also, don't overlook the value of old world mats, ESPECIALLY Outlands stuff. Some of those sell for insanely huge markup to people who are powerleveling their profs at the AH. I know I am guilty of this myself when I'm leveling profs on alts. I'm more than willing to fork over large amounts of gold rather than go farm up stuff myself. Time is a commodity, and now worth more to me than my gold.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2013-03-17 at 08:16 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. You're right about recognizing that there's a lot of competition in the JC/Ench market, but you're wrong to think easy mats that the sellers earn themselves from raiding has much of anything to do with their supply. Patterns from raiding are a slightly different thing, but even there, if it's going to make the AH guru profit, they'll buy the pattern or buy the crafts and it's really the same in essence as letting everyone else (and bots) farm up all the starting materials every big crafter purchases by the ton.

It's all about knowing the market well enough to see where your professions can turn X that's worth Y into Z that's worth Y+1, and repeating a million times. If you can prognosticate that X and Z will be worth 25% more in three days or three weeks or three months and stock up on X (and even sometimes Z), there's where you can start getting bigger margins.

Either flying around or prospecting and crafting and listing (and cancelling, and going to the mailbox, and relisting) can be done while sitting in queue. One requires more knowledge and investment, but ultimately it's about which you'll enjoy and put time into. You can accumulate hundreds of thousands of gold with either. Speaking as someone who has done the serious crafter thing, the days and weeks when you're raking in the gold are too far apart, and there's too much grindy, boring, do-this-1000x stuff, for me to really stay interested in it.

Once I met my personal goal, I almost entirely gave up working the AH, and my professions now are for convenience and dps perks. I still see my competitors doing the 1c undercut month in, month out. I don't get the drive for the second, third, fourth million in WoW gold myself, but trust me, if you want to make 200k with JC/Ench, you can do it.

Deleted
    i always do herbalism and mining for cash , its easy and profitable...but you have to do it at a time where the noone is online

if you do alot of BGs enchanting is VERY useful. once you get all your gear you can sepnd your honor on the rings that cost 1250 and disenchant them for a sha crystal each time. This sells for around 500g on my server easily (I'm on moonguard)

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 09:40 PM ----------

BUT it's always good to have a gathering alt in case of emergency.

I have all professions maxed out and I don't even make gold with it, that's completely uninteresting to me. I like leveling professions because it's a kind of personal little perk for me and because I like being able to make everything for myself, without having to pay some exorbitant prices to some random dude. I also never buy any mats and farm/organize them myself. I'm that old school.

Well, the good news is that the 500-600 stretch for JC is one of the easiest in the game. Quite easier than any 100 skill increment for that entire profession. Plus, you can actually turn a profit all the way to max level.
    Stormspire.net - Your #1 source for everything WoW gold. Free and friendly forums.
    WoWProfessions.com: Alchemy | Blacksmithing | Enchanting | Engineering | Inscription | Jewelcrafting | Leatherworking | Tailoring | Mining

Deleted
    Farming professions you should stick to have on alt chars. To be able to prospect as a JC is worth alot and is probably one of the best way and easiest way to earn money in wow.