Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    well if being racist wasn't enough.
    “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”
    yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    This is 100% completely inaccurate.
    No it is not. Both parties effectively switched roles. Dems pandered to the south, Repubs to the north. This switched abruptly at a certain point and stayed that way ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
    Thats the approach that contributed most to the shift. Unless you give me evidence contrary to what I would find in a textbook, I will also have to assume that you do not know general history.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2013-03-17 at 04:27 AM.

Certain races wouldn't feel discriminated against if scholarships weren't widely given to minorities and non-white races getting extra points on tests for jobs. Affirmative action accomplishes what it is supposed to be against.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes because Americans kidnapping thousands upon thousands of Africans from their families and homes, torturing them, working them to death, raping them, etc is completely fine since the slavers and owners gave them crappy sheds to sleep in, and enough food and water to keep them barely working.

And yes, way back Democrats acted like Republicans and vice versa. At some point in history they switched roles (don't remember why, I'm sure someone will look it up).

10+ Year Old Account
    "Slavery was good for black people!" is not an argument that's been taken seriously since the 1860s . . .

WTF.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    No it is not. Both parties effectively switched roles. Dems pandered to the south, Repubs to the north. This switched abruptly at a certain point and stayed that way ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
    Thats the approach that contributed most to the shift. Unless you give me evidence contrary to what I would find in a textbook, I will also have to assume that you do not know general history.
    And how many votes and elections did they win? None. How many people switched? 1 Strom Thurman. The Southern Strategy did not work. The major party platforms never ever switched beyond 2 election cycles. Also, I have to say this again, Bachelor's in History, Master's in Political science.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    "It was Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Democrat, who founded the Ku Klux Klan.
    Woodrow Wilson segregated Federal Buildings and jobs after 50 years of integration under largely Republican administrations.
    It was the Democrat Party in the South that instituted Jim Crow Laws.
    It was the Democrat Party in the South that instituted "separate but equal".
    It was the Democrat Party in the South that supported the Ku Klux Klan.
    It was George Wallace and the Democrat Party in the South that said "Segregation Forever".
    It was Orval Faubus and the Democrat Party that wanted the Arkansas National Guard to enforce segregation, and Dwight Eisenhower, a Republican President, that sent the 101st Airborne to integrate the schools.
    It was Bull Connor, a member of the Democrat National Committee, who turned the hoses on the marchers in Birmingham, and it was the Republicans who made up the majority that passed the 1964 Civil Rights Act, over the filibuster of such Democrat paragons as William Fulbright and Al Gore Sr. - and Grand Kleagle Byrd.
    (And no, the Dixiecrats didn't join the Republican Party - most of them remained Democrats.)
    It was the Democrats who kept Grand Kleagle Byrd in the party.
    It was Democrats who called General Colin Powell a "house nigger".
    It was Democrats who called Condi Rice - who grew up with and knew the little girls in Birmingham who were blown up, by Democrats - an "Aunt Jemima" and ran cartoons of her with fat lips doing Hattie McDaniel riffs.
    It was Democrats, or at least Obama supporters, who called Stacy Dash a hundred different racist names for daring to leave the Democrat plantaion. (sic) It's the Democrats who hold annual dinners honoring Andrew Jackson, who owned slaves and who orchestrated the Removal, the Trail of Tears, the near genocide of several of the Indian Nations."

(Source: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...of_racism.html)

But all you ever hear about in the media is the horribly racist, evil, Republicans and the Democrats that are there to save all minorities.
    Yeah because the parties totally didn't swap political affiliations in the 60s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woakerio View Post
    Certain races wouldn't feel discriminated against if scholarships weren't widely given to minorities and non-white races getting extra points on tests for jobs. Affirmative action accomplishes what it is supposed to be against.
    True, it counters old racism with new racism. It doesn't really eliminate racism(which is the real goal here), but it does at least put some equal weight on both sides of the racism scale.

There are probably better ways to go about it(I'd favor economic-hardship-based ones, which would still favor minorities anyway), but I'd be damned if I could develop such a policy.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

This is 100% completely inaccurate.
    No its really not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    are you forgetting the two parties effectively switched their platforms with each other several generations ago? Current gop was the dems during slavery.

People can say the silliest things when they do not know general history, and cannot take the time to learn what a 5th grader would learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by wells View Post
    yeah because the parties totally didn't swap political affiliations in the 60s
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwald View Post
    shhhhh, stop throwing facts out there! But, someone will come in here and say that the parties switched, which is completely false. But, they'll use that argument until the day they die.
    i can see the future!!

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Yes because Americans kidnapping thousands upon thousands of Africans from their families and homes, torturing them, working them to death, raping them, etc is completely fine since the slavers and owners gave them crappy sheds to sleep in, and enough food and water to keep them barely working.

And yes, way back Democrats acted like Republicans and vice versa. At some point in history they switched roles (don't remember why, I'm sure someone will look it up).
    Americans didn't 'kidnap' them; Africa was selling their own people as slaves. The comment about them being grateful is stupid, but black people (in the long-run) are much better off in America than Africa. Slavery vs guerrilla warfare and rape as a war weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    True, it counters old racism with new racism. It doesn't really eliminate racism(which is the real goal here), but it does at least put some equal weight on both sides of the racism scale.

There are probably better ways to go about it(I'd favor economic-hardship-based ones, which would still favor minorities anyway), but I'd be damned if I could develop such a policy.
    So that raises the question if correcting for systemic racism is actually racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No its really not.
    Yes, it really is.

i can see the future!!
    So if you know you're wrong stop being wrong.

The Democrats of now have nothing to do with the democrats of the time the poster was discussing.

---------- Post added 2013-03-17 at 04:34 AM ----------

Yes, it really is.
    So you're just blatantly ignorant of american history.

10+ Year Old Account

The Democrats of now have nothing to do with the democrats of the time the poster was discussing.
    I'll stop being wrong, when I'm wrong. In this case I'm not

I'll stop being wrong, when I'm wrong. In this case I'm not
    You're already been provided with a link showing that you were incorrect and have chosen to ignore it.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it stop being factually incorrect.

10+ Year Old Account

---------- Post added 2013-03-17 at 04:34 AM ----------

So you're just blatantly ignorant of american history.
    Yes, Wells. That must be it.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I gotta be honest this has some merit.

Africa was hardly better, nor has it really been better since.

Let's not forget; That it was Africans who caught and bound their brothers and sold them to slave masters Now don't get me wrong I'm sure white slave masters caught a good few of the Africans themselves. But going from a place like that to a place with food and shelter, isn't exactly a bad deal if you look at it from an unbiased viewpoint.
    What point does Africans selling their brothers have to do with this? Forced labor, beatings, rape, lynchings. Fun times all around. Africans had shelter and hunted for food. Africa got worse after the Europeans came because they played up tribal tensions. Divide and conquer.

>_>... Were is Django?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're already been provided with a link showing that you were incorrect and have chosen to ignore it.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it stop being factually incorrect.
    And I've already proven it wrong. The southern strategy was not a long term shift in the Republican party. You're just grasping now, Wells, it doesn't look good on you.