Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Sometimes its because they're insecure of themselves, and so need some big guns to cover up where they're lacking in other places.

Sometimes it's because they're physically too weak to defend themselves,and so they need to stockpile a huge arsenal of weapons.

Sometimes it's just because theyre plain dumb (rednecks)

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-03-17 at 09:12 PM.

Deleted
    They like the idea of having another, bigger penis that kills people instead of impregnating them.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-03-17 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The North Remembers View Post
    Sometimes its because they're insecure of themselves, and so need some big guns to cover up where they're lacking in other places.

Sometimes it's because they're physically too weak to defend themselves,and so they need to stockpile a huge arsenal of weapons.

Sometimes it's just because theyre plain dumb (rednecks)
    taking it bit to far arent we?

guns are the cheapest and easiest way for someone to genuinely feel powerful. they get to feel like they have great responsibility over something important and dangerous. most people can't get that feeling any other way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    guns are the cheapest and easiest way for someone to genuinely feel powerful. they get to feel like they have great responsibility over something important and dangerous. most people can't get that feeling any other way.
    So taking the rifle to a range every weekend and plinking away at targets is a way to "genuinely feel powerful". Tell me: If I had a hard on for archery, would you have that same view?

Deleted
    People don't love items. People love the experience you get from using/owning/watching set item. Just like you love to drive the sportscar, you love to own a mansion and you love to watch a painting/movie/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    People don't love items. People love the experience you get from using/owning/watching set item.
    People also enjoy the history of guns. For most gun owners I know, it's not about "lol I have a gun," it's more about, "I have an interesting piece of engineering, and would like to know more about it. Also, hehe, it goes boom. Cool. Here's its history... [story]"

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    People also enjoy the history of guns. For most gun owners I know, it's not about "lol I have a gun," it's more about, "I have an interesting piece of engineering, and would like to know more about it. Also, hehe, it goes boom. Cool. Here's its history... [story]"
    Unless you are a rapper or a mexican drug cartel there is no history that you will tell later on about your gun. If you had to use it, I'm sure you won't want to tell that story on how you killed or injured someone. But on the offnote, there are gun collectors that collect guns that were used for historical events or owned by people in history, but the vast majority of them are put in showcase and not used/maybe even not functional today.

I don't own a gun, but I understand why people enjoy them so much. I think if you were ever in the army or used a gun for an extensive amount of time, you would understand too. Bottom line is, shooting is fun. The bigger the better. Firing from a tank or an RPG is unforgettable. Pistols and rifles are just cool. Hitting the target, feeling the recoil, the smell of gunpowder... whether it's party due to media or not, shooting is satisfying and gives an illusion of power.
    As I said, to understand the appeal of guns, I would recommend using one for a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zubacz View Post
    Hitting the target, feeling the recoil, the smell of gunpowder... whether it's party due to media or not, shooting is satisfying
    This pretty much sums up the view I have.

Felt damn good to sink 5 rounds in a far less than half inch group at the bullseye with a rifle my family hadn't taken the time to sight in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    This pretty much sums up the view I have.

Felt damn good to sink 5 rounds in a far less than half inch group at the bullseye with a rifle my family hadn't taken the time to sight in yet.
    god forbid plinking once in a while, you gun carrying monster!

I go to a range maybe 4 times tops per year, and then putting the Jericho 941 and Glock 23 back into the gunsafe, a M1911 that never been fired and same with a MkIII Enfield rifle (belonged to my grandfather) never been fired either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    god forbid plinking once in a while, you gun carrying monster!

I go to a range maybe 4 times tops per year, and then putting the Jericho 941 and Glock 23 back into the gunsafe, a M1911 that never been fired and same with a MkIII Enfield rifle (belonged to my grandfather) never been fired either.
    Hrmmm... Can't say I've fired any of those except the M1911. Will have to find a spot where I can try the other three out one day.

Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    Again with the penis envy bullshit?
    Your previous post pretty much nailed what it is to have "penis envy", psychologically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by VoljinforWarchief View Post
    OP, it sounds like you are intentionally trying to not understand why people like guns. As others have put "why do people like cars, make up, books, comics, antiques, sports, shopping, shoes, clothes, jewelry etc" PEOPLE LIKE DIFFERENT THINGS. Just because YOU can see the value in a car but not a gun, does not make the car any more reasonable. It means you lack some understanding. People like different things, and that is ok. Why do you like posting on an internet forum? Tons out their who think that is a waste of time. Why do you play video games? Alot of people think that's a waste of time and pointless.
    I've never had someone complain that there's something wrong with me or that I'm part of what's wrong with this country because I don't like cars or shooping or anything else but guns. Also, how many people love economy cars? Or those plain white t-shirts you get in a six-pack at a department store? I'm not interested in why people like guns, but in why so many people like guns so much.

So far the thread has been helpful.

I think its a demonstration of the simplicity and destructiveness of the human race. It makes a loud noise, and it kills things.

Ok, since I didn't get a response from the person I quoted the following statement, I'd like to ask other gun enthusiasts what they feel about it...

You can even shoot those target in the shooting range and imagine they are the boss or the asshole neighbour or the guy who stole your girlfriend 10 years ago.
    To me this sounds like a person who has issues, lots of 'em. So let's hear it, is this the typical gun owner?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    To me this sounds like a person who has issues, lots of 'em. So let's hear it, is this the typical gun owner?
    No, it's not a typical gun owner.

It's a typical human. If you're here to tell us you've never had a revenge fantasy, then I'm going to call you a liar. Fair warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    No, it's not a typical gun owner.

It's a typical human. If you're here to tell us you've never had a revenge fantasy, then I'm going to call you a liar. Fair warning.
    Not a revenge fantasy that involves killing people, and certainly not because of such trivial reasons as mentioned.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-03-17 at 08:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Not a revenge fantasy that involves killing people, and certainly not because of such trivial reasons as mentioned.
    I'm skeptical. I know I've had thoughts of decapitation flash through my head over something as small as someone taking up two parking spots.

As long as you don't act on those thoughts, then nothing is wrong with you. Sure, the holier-than-though types can be judgmental of you all they want, but who gives a fuck what they think?

And come on now. Really be honest with me. You've never had somebody be an asshole to you and, even for one second, thought about them lying dead on the ground? Obviously you didn't mean it, and you'd never do it. But the thought was still there.

And even if you haven't, let me ask you this: The people who have such fantasies will always exist. Nothing you can do will ever change that. So would you rather them take out there aggression on paper targets, or on actual people?

i dont love guns as a whole. i have a great appreciation for anything i find to be exquisitely crafted, and some guns fit this category. i make fine furniture for a living, and i know what goes into something so well made that it is obvious that the craftsman was striving for perfection. i am fortunate enough to have acquired a few hand tools that fit this description, and others that were an engineering marvel for their time. all that said, i own no guns, and have no desire to own any
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.