Page 1 of 2
LastLast

For the game case fetishists.

Over the last few years games companies have been reducing the amount of paper content inside the cases which really annoys me.

It means we don't get any content to read inside the case anymore, I got SC2 and HOTS a few days ago.

HOTS was collectors edition I was actually hoping there would be a bad ass manual inside the game box but I was wrong.

And in the SC2 case there was a bit of paper with some quick start info on...

Does this agitate anyone else who likes to have physical copies to read the books inside? D: I miss having expansions for WoW and the manual having loads of lore and other info inside to read and mists of pandaria didn't have any and cata had BARELY any inside the manual.
    Last edited by Wælcyrie; 2013-03-17 at 02:01 PM.

They want you to buy the game guide from your local gaming store.

Remember if there is money to be made they will try and make it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    They want you to buy the game guide from your local gaming store.

Remember if there is money to be made they will try and make it.
    The sad truth.

Although i still prefer digital.
    Last edited by mmoccba440cc3b; 2013-03-17 at 02:29 PM.

Deleted
    I remember buying boxed games and getting 300+ page manuals with it, took up so much space. I much prefer it digitally now, no need to keep track of discs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game guides in the case were definitely a plus back in the day. But that was before internet. I would love reading the back story and how to play the game before playing it.

Deleted
    Yes, it's kind of sad. I do have a bunch of older games and they all have some manuals. Not all are giant, but they were pieces of paper explaining some story, some gameplay... many games today lack most of that, and it's truly sad, it was one of the reasons I bought the box, to have that special manual.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy having the physical product. I don't care how people get to play a game a day or two earlier. It is sad that the industry is moving towards the digital age, and it should cost the companies less... but then how come the games still cost the same or more? Which is also one of the reasons I want the physical product, I feel more bang for my buck lol.

I enjoy the feeling of simply holding the box of one of my favorite games in my hand and instantly get thrown down memory lane.

When I bought a New York plugin for my Microsoft Flight Simulator 4-5 years ago (for 30 euros) it came with:
    3 discs with high definition ground detail
    A2 colour map of the area, with altitudes, approaches, runway orientation etc. marked
    200 page book with maps of the airports, detailed approach information, radio frequencies
    Descriptions of the aircraft included, along with stall speeds, maximum turn rates etc.

When I got a Concorde plugin for the same game, for 25 euros:
    game disc
    100 page instruction manual (which was required reading, because you had to set about 30 switches before the damn plane would even start the engines)
    A DVD containing a 90 minute documentary about the Concorde

Nowadays, all you get in a 45-60 euro game is the disc, the authentication key on a slip of paper and some advertising material. All documentation is either on the disc or downloadable from the website.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets face it, the best part of having all the paperwork in the box was that it gave you something to do when you were sitting at your PC waiting for it to install.

That, and if it was a game you REALLY wanted to play you had something to read on the way home from the store so you didn't wet yourself in anticipation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    I enjoy having the physical product. I don't care how people get to play a game a day or two earlier. It is sad that the industry is moving towards the digital age, and it should cost the companies less... but then how come the games still cost the same or more? Which is also one of the reasons I want the physical product, I feel more bang for my buck lol.
    This is my problem. I am not terrible sad at the loss of the manuals, maps, and other goodies. I'm perfectly fine with PDFs and internet. The reason they stopped including those things is cost. Those things were expensive. Expensive to make, and expensive to distribute.

Now days you spend 60 bones on a game and get none of that shit. Leave out all the in box goodies, but give me a discount on the full price.

I'm sorry but today's full price for video games is rather ridiculous.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    The price of games hasn't changed in some years now, and inflation has been exploding for a while, the fact that the price has stayed the same is actually a discount to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    ..Isn't the story and tutorial all within the game?

I understand your nostalgia but..time's changed.
    Howay the lads!

Deleted
    That was the only thing boxes had against digital, but now thats that its gone i see no reason what so ever to ever buy a box.
    If you got the old sc box somewhere, dig it up and check the manual.. its really well done and contains alot of pictures and lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Lets face it, the best part of having all the paperwork in the box was that it gave you something to do when you were sitting at your PC waiting for it to install.
    Ha, too true.

I still remember installing, and even worse patching, WoW the first time I got it. You definitely needed a book or 2 to keep you entertained through that. (which I had, cause the battle chest I bought came with 2 guides back then)

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the paper inside too Great quick cheat sheets too for hot keys, y'know?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a few old games (Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption, Sim City, Mech Commander anyone ?) that came with a massive manual and/or foldouts to help you get the hotkeys/units memorized. Also, try fitting those fuckers into a DVD sized case

With Steam and its various opposing iterations they SHOULD give a manual or something in PDF format with the game download or maybe a link to a download IN CASE someone somewhere needs or even wants it. Not all games need one, not all developers have the money to make or include one, but those that can, should imo.

I can understand that we have lost manuals and other in box goodies to cut down on costs, but i just miss them.

Sometimes the manual goes missing or was just not meant to be there. World of Warcraft had a nice manual, so did TBC, Wrath and Cata. However my boxed copy of MoP had no manual, just 3 sheets of paper. Two were for MoP trial accounts and the other was for a trial of Starcraft 2.

Personally i prefer owning a boxed copy over a digital one as to me, it seems more 'real' if i know i can physically touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivana View Post
    I
    With Steam and its various opposing iterations they SHOULD give a manual or something in PDF format with the game download or maybe a link to a download IN CASE someone somewhere needs or even wants it.

Personally i prefer owning a boxed copy over a digital one as to me, it seems more 'real' if i know i can physically touch it.
    There are manuals for every game I have on steam, I'm pretty sure.

I prefer the digital version. Two simple reasons: my computer died a while back and I had to get a new one. Instead of scrounging around for potentially lost or damaged discs, I just logged into my Steam account and had all my games right there, ready for download. Also, when I visit friends and want to show them a game they haven't tried, I just have to log on to my steam account from their computer and voila, it's downloading at their place.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    There are manuals for every game I have on steam, I'm pretty sure.

I prefer the digital version. Two simple reasons: my computer died a while back and I had to get a new one. Instead of scrounging around for potentially lost or damaged discs, I just logged into my Steam account and had all my games right there, ready for download. Also, when I visit friends and want to show them a game they haven't tried, I just have to log on to my steam account from their computer and voila, it's downloading at their place.
    Last year a lightning strike killed the internet connection to our house for a week. If all my games had been on Steam (i.e. uninstalled because I needed the space) I wouldn't have had any to play. My physical game collection paid off then.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Last year a lightning strike killed the internet connection to our house for a week. If all my games had been on Steam (i.e. uninstalled because I needed the space) I wouldn't have had any to play. My physical game collection paid off then.
    That's a good point. I'd think it more likely the lightning would have killed my power completely, in which case I wouldn't have had a computer to play any games on. I guess I could look at the physical copy manuals and shwag though.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.