Did Blizzard recently improve their gravity engine?

Don't know how to explain it exactly but when i have downtime on my druid, waiting for queue and stuff, I like to fly high up, drop flight form, Drop back in. Now if i fly stright up and remove flight form, i will still fly upwards a bit before dropping down. Has it allways been like this or is this new? Sorry if this is the wrong forum section

It's new, it came as a feature in 5.2

You seem to maintain momentum since MoP - I noticed this by trying to dismount into water whilst flying forward and completely overshooting the pools and dying :P Not sure if it was a bug or if it has been fixed since 5.2, but it was more realistic at least.

Ha, I thought this was just me losing my mind when I'd dismount trying to land into lakes n stuff and die.
    D3 - Aggs 60 Barbarian | Paladin | Warlock | Shaman | Death Knight | Warrior |

Don't quote me on this (nor can I provide a source), but I've read that the loss of momentum upon dismounting was always considered a bug, and they've just got to "fixing" it.

They added momentum in MoP for sure or 'fixed' it or whatever. Got me by surprise at first but I actually like it better now that I've gotten used to it. Caused a couple cliff deaths as the momentum launched me over the edge at first. Gave me some good laughs. Fun to see how far you can launch yourself from your mount into a non-mountable area as well so you have to run less lol.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Good then, thought i was going crazy for a second there. I like this though, more realistic anyway

Started playing in MoP and took this for granted, horrifying to read it wasn't always like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sir-connor View Post
    You seem to maintain momentum since MoP - I noticed this by trying to dismount into water whilst flying forward and completely overshooting the pools and dying :P Not sure if it was a bug or if it has been fixed since 5.2, but it was more realistic at least.
    You've always had a forward momentum, when dropping out of flight form. You continue with same speed as before, while loosing altitude. If you switch back to flight form, all movement is stopped.

It's been like this, since TBC, and since flying was added in TBC, it's always been so..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    You've always had a forward momentum, when dropping out of flight form. You continue with same speed as before, while loosing altitude. If you switch back to flight form, all movement is stopped.

It's been like this, since TBC, and since flying was added in TBC, it's always been so..
    Nope, it changed in mop, you have extreme forward momentum, try it...
    Fly high up, fly straight, dismount, you'll get pushed forward with alot of speed.
    Something def changed in mop...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Nope, it changed in mop, you have extreme forward momentum, try it...
    Fly high up, fly straight, dismount, you'll get pushed forward with alot of speed.
    Something def changed in mop...
    Maybe it have been buffed in MoP, but it have always been there.
    You can fly/glide as long as half a zone, if you have enough altitude..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

Yeah the momentum thing definitly has been there since tbc. just an increase i guess

10+ Year Old Account
    There has always been a slight momentum and I can remember a few times where I've overshot stuff like crazy as a druid. But previously, with just regular mounts (not flight form), ending the mount even while moving made me drop like a rock. It was only recently that the same momentum available to druid flight forms was added to mounts.

I used to have a lot of fun flying high in the sky on a mount and then dropping into the harbor in Stormwind and was taken by surprise when the momentum was added and I went careening into the cemetery instead.

I've seen the momentum thing for a while. I was working on Loremaster during our 8-9month downtime between Cata and Mists. I would (for the most part) stay on my flying mount until I reached the necessary mobs and then automatically started shooting at them while still the air. I'd keep moving and overshoot quite a bit as I was dismounted. Also noticed it in the darkmoon faire when trying to do the cannon quest. Constantly overshooting due to momentum, which is part of the challenge. This seems to only work on flying mounts and said cannon. I haven't experienced it on ground mounts yet, though it would be somewhat interesting/amusing to see us get dismounted via mob stun or something and watch us tumble/skid to a stop. Modify that monk roll and it might be possible Blizz lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just tested it yesterday, and forward momentum IS NOT BUFFED. If anything, it's nerfed...
    In my 3 attempts, I didn't get very far, as I could only glide a distance similar to the size of Lake of Stars in Dead Wastes.

I hope its not a bug. I have been using this to vault myself onto the balcony of Summer's Rest at the Shrine so I can just dash over to the portals.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."