Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy How to make Diablo 3 fun again...

I want to get back into Diablo 3, I do. A lot. There's something about the look and colors that is just very appealing, but sadly I find it hard to play Diablo 3 without getting really bored. I had stopped back in early November again and just started trying to play again on Friday, this past weekend has been full of reminding myself why I quit:

Farming the same stuff over and over gets old really fast, I want some change, and not "oh that champion pack has different affixes this time!" I need some serious change. I tried Path of Exile and I've been meaning to play it more, but Diablo 3 I invested $100 in for the C.E. I feel like I should get my money's worth at least or something, or even just make that money back in RMAH funds, which I've only done maybe 20% of.

A game lately I've found to have extreme replayability, yet is so simple, is Binding of Isaac. Every playthrough is seriously different. I know it's a different style of game, but surely Diablo 3 could have more, no? What have other Diablo 3 players done to keep it fresh?

If you're having trouble understanding me, what I am asking is: what do YOU do to make D3 fun to play? Not what you think the devs should do, there's a trillion and a half threads and topics about that on mmo-c and other websites, I'm not asking that, I want to know what you actively do to keep yourself interested and having fun.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-03-28 at 07:36 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Patch 1.0.8 will feature changes, including (so far) pack density in Acts 1 and 2 (and 4?). Future patches will include major gear and itemization changes, as promised by the Jay Wilson replacement, Travis Day. major class changes to come, but farther into the future. Probably expansion.

As it is though, if you really don't like the game, there's not much chance of you enjoying it even in the future. I would assume that the expansion will be announced at Blizzcon, and we can see what kind of changes will be coming then. Right now, all we know is very vague stuff about the future. VERY vague.

I re-installed the game three times since the game came out, I couldn't last more than an hour after beating inferno on my wizard. I doubt this company would add anything meaningful to the game before an expansion, look how long their main game went along without patches before they kicked it in gear. Your outta luck with the money you spent, and at least we have path of exiles to fall back on - and its free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pack density... more/less? Sounds intriguing. And yeah I noticed this thread, and while I have not read it yet, the overwhelming positive response from the community both here on mmo-c and there on the official forums has my hopes up a bit, perhaps Blizzard is finally going to put in some serious effort? Were the mob-counts in Act 3 nerfed, btw? I found while farming some Act 3, there seemed to be a fair few less mobs than I recall. Maybe 25-50% less. =S I just remember there used to be packs at times of up to like 25 mobs, and they were insane for loot and exp.

I realize that a big part of this game is needing to spend several hours on it to see any real serious success, but I'm finding after only a few hours I'm burned out.

What do you do to enjoy the game?
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mob density hasn't changed at all yet. Yeah, they're upping Acts 1 and 2 at least, so people don't feel locked into doing specific areas. There's always going to be an "optimal" route, but at least with it close, you don't feel punished for doing something different. Which is kind of how I feel about classes and different abilities. I shouldn't be punished for not liking a certain ability.

If you sorta get tired grinding the same thing over & over, I think this is not the genre for you. Regardless of how much one may have spent on a collector edition.

The entire draw, allure and point of ARPGs is years long grinding.

You are supposed to feel excited to grind Diablo 24/7 for like a decade. There are people doing that right now-- happily in D2 classic ladder.

Forever displeased at the mass marketing of Blizzard games. 4evah.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just feel like if I could manage to do it for the Insane title and Hero of Shattrath achievements in WoW back in WotLK, this shouldn't be such an issue. I suppose when other Acts are more optimal for exp grinding, it will be less of a pain. I liked being able to farm several different areas for the Insane, Dire Maul, Scholo, EPL, WPL, etc etc.
    "A flower.

I don't know what any of that stuff is in WoW. It is essentially gibberish to me. But I killed Baal and Diablo like 60 times a day on 4 concurrent PCs for about ~8 years.

There were no achievements.

I stopped when I could no longer read the text in Diablo 2 after a decade.

That is Diablo.

I started to enjoy D3 again when going out places and bringing it with me on my iPhone. Its meh for a PC game, but for a game on a phone, its pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, but while I think it is cool what you did, gaming on phones pisses me off. Especially when you use that many controls, plus Diablo 3 I prefer being able to really see stuff. =S
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun-Ra View Post
    I started to enjoy D3 again when going out places and bringing it with me on my iPhone. Its meh for a PC game, but for a game on a phone, its pretty good.
    How is this done. Explain.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I want to get back into Diablo 3, I do. A lot. There's something about the look and colors that is just very appealing, but sadly I find it hard to play Diablo 3 without getting really bored. I had stopped back in early November again and just started trying to play again on Friday, this past weekend has been full of reminding myself why I quit:
    I'm in the same boat as you. I play it off and on, but I can only play it for a couple days before swapping back to WoW. Farming the same thing in D3 just for drops that you vendor is just meh to me. I've been looking for ways to stay interested, but just can't find any. I play it with a couple friends and solo each time.

Luckily I got mine off the Annual Pass so I didn't lose any money on it, but hopefully one of the patches is enough to keep me interested. Even adding in mob density I don't see it changing much.

Overall, good luck in trying to find the thing that keeps you hooked!

In both diablo 1 and diablo 2, I could play for 1-2 hours and come away with at least 1-2 decent weapons/items for my class, and a throng of shit ones I either vendored, or just left on the ground (because when mobs drop 36k gold at a time gold becomes meaningless).

In diablo 3, I can play for 24 hours straight and still not get a single decent item. I've gone weeks/dificulty settings without a single decent upgrade because the RNG is so bad.

In a game like diablo, i expect there to be some form of RNG, it's pretty much the nature of the game, but some where between d2 and d3, the chances of me actually seeing something went from shit by tolerable to down right retarded.

It's either grind for a week straight and still not get anything or AH that shit. Gone are the days of oh I have a few hours to spare, I'll do a few mephisto/pindleskin/baal runs and try get an item or two I can use or maybe my friend can use it.

None of this level 58 items still dropping in Inferno (when level 60 is the requirement to enter it) and every once in a blue moon a 63 drops, but even when it does it has absolutely garbage stats on it you end up trashing it.

leveling in d3 was good. pace and story was good, skills and abilities were good, random quests were awesome, randomised map/events were awesome.
    But the RNG on item drops is over the top. My barb i finally got to inferno act 4, was still in a few Hell items up until mid way through act 3 since I just havent found any really decent upgrades for him.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You could remote desktop it but it would rough to play and latency would be a pretty big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...lo-3-on-iPhone

I made a thread on it, not a full on Guide on how to do it, but I can make one if you want.
    As for latency, its not to bad, as you can see in the video its pretty smooth, I wouldn't trust HC on it, but its way more than enough to farm while at work or show off at a friends house xD

when i want to have a good time while playing D3, i usually call up my friends from their cryostasis (playing sc2 atm) and we make hardcore characters to lvl :>
    we place a few bets on who will die first, last and at what level. prices can range from SoftCore gear / gold or real life stuff.

we play for a week(end) or two and claim the prizes..

the way i see D3 is that its not a game you sit and play for 10+ hours a day for months a time, not when you just want to play to have fun
    I like my coffe like my mages.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    While I had nothing against D3, it's clear what's required for it to be proper fun for me; A new class. While I liked the Witch Doctor's abilities to a degree, I wasn't a fan of the whole bend-over, semi-naked, annoying voice thing, and the other classes really didn't do it for me either. So yeah, waiting for an expansion which will hopefully bring a new class or two.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Removing the auction house and reconfiguring the drop rates to support it, would be a great place to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    The money is gone. Sunk cost fallacy. You'll never get it back, and forcing yourself to try to enjoy something for the sake of "not wasting the money" is more of a waste. If you truly are not into the game, don't play it. Play something else, even if you have to pay for it; at least you'll be enjoying it.

But, if you want to make it fun again, try something new or a challenge. Try a class you didn't try yet. Play in hardcore (I just beat Inferno on hardcore). Try a high starting MP and see if you can make it. Experiment with whole new builds to do things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    While I had nothing against D3, it's clear what's required for it to be proper fun for me; A new class. While I liked the Witch Doctor's abilities to a degree, I wasn't a fan of the whole bend-over, semi-naked, annoying voice thing, and the other classes really didn't do it for me either. So yeah, waiting for an expansion which will hopefully bring a new class or two.
    just out of curiosity, are you by chance and ex Necromancer player like myself?
    loving my WD, but would like the necro from D2 instead..
    I like my coffe like my mages.