1. #1

    [Balance] Mooncat use in Throne of Thunder

    Has anybody had any experiences/testing using Mooncat in Throne of Thunder?

    Did you manage to identify any situations when popping HotW and going Cat might be a noticeable DPS increase?

    The thing that immediately comes to my mind is the maze on Durumu but I haven't tried it (don't have a Feral weapon).

    For reference: Reposting the optimal Mooncat rotation somebody posted in another thread a while ago:

    'Long story short, optimal HotW rotation is shift into Cat with Feral weapon equipped, Rake, Mangle until out of Energy, shift into Moonkin with caster weapon(s) equipped, MF, SuF, shift into Cat, Mangle, FB at 4/5 CPs (depends on whether you want to game critical hits or not), repeat. Make sure your last action before HotW ends is to reapply Rake.'

  2. #2
    Fluffy Kitten Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,814
    Generally, I don't look for the best time to use HotW for Cat dps; I look for the best time to HotW Tranq for the raid. Then after that Tranq is over, I keep an eye for the remaining duration of any excessive movement and I go Cat for a bit.

    However, once you start farming you'll want to use it strictly for DPS. Jinrohk during Thunderstruck. Maybe getting a Rake on all 4 targets on Council. Tortos to AoE bats (porbably want to use it twice since that fight is never ending movement). Durumu maze for sure (you should still do it even without a Feral weapon). That's all I can really think of for now. Though if you really trying to min/max your DPS then you should use it twice on any fight even when there isn't a Durumu maze type mechanic. Just stay in melee range when activate and throw up a Rake whenever you have to move for a few steps.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Generally, I don't look for the best time to use HotW for Cat dps; I look for the best time to HotW Tranq for the raid. Then after that Tranq is over, I keep an eye for the remaining duration of any excessive movement and I go Cat for a bit.

    However, once you start farming you'll want to use it strictly for DPS. Jinrohk during Thunderstruck. Maybe getting a Rake on all 4 targets on Council. Tortos to AoE bats (porbably want to use it twice since that fight is never ending movement). Durumu maze for sure (you should still do it even without a Feral weapon). That's all I can really think of for now. Though if you really trying to min/max your DPS then you should use it twice on any fight even when there isn't a Durumu maze type mechanic. Just stay in melee range when activate and throw up a Rake whenever you have to move for a few steps.
    Wouldn't you have to factor in lost globals for shifting/weapons swaps? or did i miss a memo

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Wouldn't you have to factor in lost globals for shifting/weapons swaps? or did i miss a memo
    No globals for switching weapons (just tested). Only effects are reset of swing timer and reset of enchants cds. That makes it a single melee swing lost in cat and enchants don't have ICD anymore. In other words, nothing is lost :P

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    No globals for switching weapons (just tested). Only effects are reset of swing timer and reset of enchants cds. That makes it a single melee swing lost in cat and enchants don't have ICD anymore. In other words, nothing is lost :P
    Ok thats not as bad then, can you macro shift+weapon swap so you can make the transition as efficient as possible?

    offtopic: What server are you on Juvencus?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Ok thats not as bad then, can you macro shift+weapon swap so you can make the transition as efficient as possible?

    offtopic: What server are you on Juvencus?
    Was Doomhammer and transferred recently to Draenor (EU). I see you are a fellow Draenor-er too :P

    Yeah macro is the way to go.

    Btw at OP I would only use it for long movement phases, exactly like the Durumu eye sores, not as a way to try and increase dps over normal spec (or playing with special circumstances/mechanics to artificially increase dps).

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Juvencus View Post
    Was Doomhammer and transferred recently to Draenor (EU). I see you are a fellow Draenor-er too :P

    Yeah macro is the way to go.

    Btw at OP I would only use it for long movement phases, exactly like the Durumu eye sores, not as a way to try and increase dps over normal spec (or playing with special circumstances/mechanics to artificially increase dps).
    Sorry to derail thread..yeah Juvencus, main reason I asked was because I saw a druid called "Juvencus" floating in shrine the other day thought it mighta been you :P

  8. #8
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    85
    I've been trying Mooncat during our ToT progression (FYI, the quote in the OP is from myself ), unfortunately using in this way has yet to yield a dps increase and is, in fact, quite a significant loss of dps (about 6k in my gear over talenting it but not activating it).

    Stommped has hit the nail on the head, HotW is best used for movement because Lunar Shower is awful, also putting a HotW Rake up on a boss with a damage increase (de)buff is a nice clutch use of it as well. You can do this 5 times over the 45s duration and end with a FB and apply a final Rake, if you pay close enough attention. Basically, not sitting in Cat for the whole 45s, because that hurts our DPS, but a HotW-Rake actually ticks pretty damn hard and so is worth paying the opportunity cost for shifting whilst HotW is active.
    Last edited by Mystikal; 2013-03-23 at 01:21 PM.

  9. #9
    Dreadlord xtramuscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, UK.
    Posts
    965
    #Party@Draenor I'm there too!

    Not tried mooncatting myself, waiting til I get an agi weapon, but the /swiping bats is a nice idea.. with some awesome AOE'ers in the raid though, not sure even that will be a DPS increase over tunneling the boss?

    Vexxe of Old School.



    Streaming MOP raids live: (14/14HC 25Man SoO) and WOD Beta (Leveling and raid testing Heoric/Mythic) @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutheru View Post
    Has anybody had any experiences/testing using Mooncat in Throne of Thunder?

    Did you manage to identify any situations when popping HotW and going Cat might be a noticeable DPS increase?

    The thing that immediately comes to my mind is the maze on Durumu but I haven't tried it (don't have a Feral weapon).

    For reference: Reposting the optimal Mooncat rotation somebody posted in another thread a while ago:

    'Long story short, optimal HotW rotation is shift into Cat with Feral weapon equipped, Rake, Mangle until out of Energy, shift into Moonkin with caster weapon(s) equipped, MF, SuF, shift into Cat, Mangle, FB at 4/5 CPs (depends on whether you want to game critical hits or not), repeat. Make sure your last action before HotW ends is to reapply Rake.'
    I find that after i got myself solidly into the fight, durumu is actually not that bad as balance. Ofcourse we will lose some dps there, but i can still rotate my eclipse while running. If you position yourself well, i doubt its worth going mooncat with HotW.

    Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    #Party@Draenor I'm there too!

    Not tried mooncatting myself, waiting til I get an agi weapon, but the /swiping bats is a nice idea.. with some awesome AOE'ers in the raid though, not sure even that will be a DPS increase over tunneling the boss?
    Will the 2 swipes be worth it? I think a hurricane would be stronger even, and with so many classes better then us. I think you are better off just hit the boss/ dot turtles. Our hunter/frost dk clean up the bats so quick it's not even worth casting anything for me.
    Last edited by Miscam; 2013-03-24 at 04:35 PM.

  11. #11
    Dreadlord xtramuscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Suffolk, UK.
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscam View Post
    I find that after i got myself solidly into the fight, durumu is actually not that bad as balance. Ofcourse we will lose some dps there, but i can still rotate my eclipse while running. If you position yourself well, i doubt its worth going mooncat with HotW.



    Will the 2 swipes be worth it? I think a hurricane would be stronger even, and with so many classes better then us. I think you are better off just hit the boss/ dot turtles. Our hunter/frost dk clean up the bats so quick it's not even worth casting anything for me.
    Same, I tunnel boss + dot turtles and totally ignore bats

    Vexxe of Old School.



    Streaming MOP raids live: (14/14HC 25Man SoO) and WOD Beta (Leveling and raid testing Heoric/Mythic) @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    #Party@Draenor I'm there too!
    Did everyone move to Draenor? :P

    So consensus on HoTW is just to keep it for LOLTRANQ moments?

  13. #13
    Most of the time i safe hotw for the tranquility buff, but it can be useful on durumu while moving in the maze to damage while moving.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •