Seeking opinions on new build

Ordering components for a new build this week, so far this is my prospective list of parts. (GPU will be a GTX570 that I'm taking from my old build, will be replaced by a 6xx over the coming months.) Looking for opinions on it, particularly: is 32gb of RAM overkill?

Parts list:

Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D
    Mobo - ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe
    CPU - i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core
    SSD - Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD x 2 (to be put in a Raid 0 array)
    RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866
    PSU - Corsair AX850
    Cooler - Noctua NH-U12P
    Monitor - ASUS VH232H 23" LCD

It's a solid build. And yes, 32gb is WAY overkill for pretty much everything, even 16gb is overkill for gaming. You could downgrade the PSU a little as well if you want to save some cash.

Deleted
    What's your intention with the build? Considering the rest of the parts, are you planning on going SLI in the future? Otherwise the PSU is a bit overkill.

And yeah, 32GB ram is hard to fill up unless you do some serious video rendering or similar things. (Btw, try to take 'Low Profile' ram, as to avoid the possibility of it not fitting in combination with the cpu cooler. Although the CPU cooler is quite high, might not be an issue. Just check the dimensions I guess. )

you could also save about $100 by getting a i5 3570k

I would go for 840 Pro with that kind of budget.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    you could also save about $100 by getting a i5 3570k
    I don't think it's the OP's intention to save cash. A build like that is not made with a small budget in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    What's your intention with the build?
    Gaming, but I wanted to futureproof it as much as possible without going crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    Gaming, but I wanted to futureproof it as much as possible without going crazy.
    For gaming only, crazy has already been passed. You could save $500 and still get same performance for games.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    For gaming only, crazy has already been passed. You could save $500 and still get same performance for games.
    Right, but I'm looking for the same performance on games 4 years from now, not today.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right, but I'm looking for the same performance on games 4 years from now, not today.
    well it will still be the same performance level in 4 years that this computer you suggested will be. above the 3570k, there is no point in higher processors for gaming PCs. i dont see games making use of hyperthreading any time soon. and definitely not 32gb of ram.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    definitely not 32gb of ram.
    Yeah, good point, I might scale that down to 16gb.

Deleted
    Yeah, good point, I might scale that down to 16gb.
    any reasons you picked a non 1600 speed ram?
    also 8gb is plenty for gaming and doing a shitload of non gaming related things at the same time , 16Gb if you really don't want to worry about it.
    for the ssds i'd personally take an OCZ vector instead and if the speed isn't enough you could add the other ssd later down the line. (if you got a means to back up the ssd data etc , external hdd perhaps?)
    another point , are you well practised in the rituals of overclocking? (the cpu is good but there are better options on the performance/noise scale)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    any reasons you picked a non 1600 speed ram?
    Because it's faster?

i'd personally take an OCZ vector instead
    I'm hesitant, I've seen a billion reviews that say that OCZ is shit, and have a massively high failure rate.

are you well practised in the rituals of overclocking?
    I haven't done an overclock build in probably 4 years. The last rig I built was just a media center so I left it at stock.
    Last edited by Bitlovin; 2013-03-18 at 10:08 PM.

Deleted
    I'm hesitant, I've seen a billion reviews that say that OCZ is shit, and have a massively high failure rate.
    those also date back to their series prior to the xxxx 3 series. (petrol/vertex2 names as such)
    vector is top of the line and sports a 5 year warranty. (uncommonly long compared to standard warranty on similar parts)
    they are fast and very very reliable.

Would do better to save the $500 and upgrade in 2 years.

You don't need more than 8GB of 1600MHz RAM now, you don't need a $280 motherboard, you don't need an i7, you don't need a $170 PSU, you don't need raid0 SSDs.

You could even save $700 by skipping these and you won't notice the difference performance wise, not now and not in 4 years either.

A couple of things, and to reiterate a couple of things that have already been touched on.

1) 16b is fine if you don't want to worry about memory. Add that with your mobo, it'd be easy to upgrade to 32 when/if the time comes without having to swap out what you already have. 1600 speed memory is all you need for Intel chips. The only reason you want faster speed if you are going with an AMD chip.

2) i5-3570k is really the best chip for the money out there in terms of gaming. The higher you go, the only real thing gained is hyperthreading, and as said, it's not a performance boost for gaming, mainly for a lot of steaming, CAD type applications. Thus also the reason to stick with the 1600 memory.

3) SSD - I have a 256gb Intel cherryville series that I'm happy with. The samsung pros are also good. Any reason you went with 2 ssds and no data drive?

10+ Year Old Account
    If your really worried about performance drop back to 8gb of ram, i5-3570k, 1 ssd, asrock extreme 4, seasonic 520w modular psu and drop a custom watercooling loop and overclock the balls out of that system, make sure to get a reference design gpu and hunt for the waterblock for it before picking it up. However in perfect honesty your gaming experience would be better for the next 4 years simply by getting a reasonable rig for now and then putting the saved money in an account and letting it sit (or stashing it somewhere) then in about 2 years when your feeling the system isn't keeping up doing upgrades with that saved money.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210