[Guardian} Question about trinkets

Simple question, so I'll just ask.

Which trinket is better for tanking? It may seem simple, but everywhere I look it hasn't been asked.

Vicious Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault *1467 hit, 8800AGI proc, would end up reforging hit to Mastery or Dodge or Crit, likely*

Steadfast Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault *1467 mastery, 16000Dodge Degrading 2kx10 over 20seconds. Would reforge to dodge or crit, or nothing*

Which would be more beneficial for a Guardian tank?
    Last edited by CombatGarrosh; 2013-03-18 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get all the trinkets you can get your hands on. I run with 2 agility trinkets and 2 stam trinkets and switch them out when needed.

Rune of re-origination and Renataki's Soul Charm will probably be your 2 BiS agility trinkets. The Charm dropping from the first boss should be easy to acquire (RNG aside) from either LFR or Normal raid.The Rune might take you some time considering it drops from last boss of ToT.

With that said I need more information on your own toon. I can tell you though that none of the trinkets from the rep vendor are BiS for Guardians. Link your armory please. You might be better off spending your VP on another item depending on your current gear.

PS: http://theincbear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=749 Go here for correct BiS list.
    Last edited by rated; 2013-03-18 at 04:52 PM.

I am actually just looking for a comparison between the two. I don't do TOT yet on my druid, my warrior's on Megaera, nothing insanely good. But I don't wanna waste Valor. So between the two, which would be better for a guardian druid?

I would imagine Rune of re-origination and Renataki's Soul Charm are good. But how about bad juju? I have non of them so I can't really test.

Of the choices above, get the Vicious Talisman first.

Bad JuJu isn't that great simply because its passive stat is Mastery. RPS Trinket Priority:

Rune (any) > Renataki (N/H) > Bloodlust (N/H) > Vicious Talisman > Terror (H) > Bad Juju (Any) > Renataki (LFR) > Bloodlust (LFR)

I've been playing around with Rune of Re-Origination, and with my current gear level I'm not too impressed with the trinket while tanking. However, I think it's probably the shift to RPPM for all proc trinkets that happened with 5.2 that's causing most of my issues.

I had a nice wall of text explaining my personal experience with Rune of Re-Origination with a direct comparison to a normal, non-upgraded Terror of the Mists with an average ilvl of 517, but I'm erring on the side of brevity for now. Long story short: normal Terror had a higher RPS on proc due to haste loss (Rune was a 1.39 RPS gain, Terror was a 1.57 RPS gain), lasts twice as long, and ironically had better uptime than Rune.

Blizz did say the Rune of Re-Origination has a 0.92 RealPPM with 22 second ICD (plus 10% with a recent update), although my proc rates seem closer to the old 0.46 RPPM. However, when Blizz shifted over all pre-5.2 trinkets to RealPPM, I don't recall them releasing the numbers for all the trinkets, and Terror might have a slightly higher proc rate than intended under the new system.

Breaking down the stats gain, the trinket uses base haste gains from gear (aka, not bear form haste levels), and the 522 ilvl Rune appears to only provide 97% of the advertised power of the doubling of lower stats (could be intended, as a scaling factor for different ilvls of the trinket beyond proc frequency). Rune does benefit from Windsong procs, at the very least, however it's only a net RPS gain for me if you proc the Mastery versus Terror. Even had some occasions of negative haste/mastery values if Windsong expired and the Rune proc was still going.

I think the underlying problem with this trinket for Guardians is the removal of Haste when it procs, and I can't say I'm a big fan of losing armor occasionally, but such is the life of a RPS build.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2013-03-19 at 12:15 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

im looking for the same idea, i can either get bracers and ring, or 1 of the 2 with a trinket.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Lukos/advanced

that's my druid, dont mind spec, feral or guardian gear is the same

thanks ahead!!!

Edit: i know i dont have gloves enchanted got em today :P:P
    Last edited by Lukos; 2013-03-19 at 03:08 AM.

However, when Blizz shifted over all pre-5.2 trinkets to RealPPM
    Pretty sure that never actually happened. Do you have any logs to support this?

although my proc rates seem closer to the old 0.46 RPPM.
    Is this before or after the RPPM fix implemented late last week? If there is actually something wrong with the proc rate it should be fixed.

im looking for the same idea, i can either get bracers and ring, or 1 of the 2 with a trinket.
    Ring + Trinket.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    Pretty sure that never actually happened. Do you have any logs to support this?

Is this before or after the RPPM fix implemented late last week? If there is actually something wrong with the proc rate it should be fixed.
    Unfortunately, our GM doesn't want me posting our logs at this time, but I did get a chance to test out the trinket this week in raiding. Proving that the change happened to trinkets in 5.2 is sort of difficult if the internal details concerning the changes are unknown, we'd just have to take the blue posts at their word. Up-time on Terror is pretty consistent, to say the least, however without knowledge of the internal workings (if changed), we can only speculate. If anything, Terror appears to act in a similar way it did prior to 5.2.

What I can divulge is that the proc consistency for Rune is all over the place... literally! I had some procs occur immediately after the 22 second ICD, and I had some almost 2 minutes apart. On good fights/attempts, the uptime was on par with Terror. On bad ones, uptime was around half of Terror's uptime. None of the fights got down to 0.46 PPM, but most were nowhere near 0.92 PPM. As always, my own logs are a small sample size concerning the big picture, I could be incredibly unlucky with proc rates. Regardless, from what I've seen in my raiding logs, the best I could achieve was on par uptime of Rune compared to Terror, where mostly the uptime of Rune was noticeably inferior to Terror.

If Rune used the haste values we have while in bear form while calculating the crit on proc, I'd say it would easily be a RPS upgrade from a normal Terror trinket even with its proc consistency. In its current state, I'm finding normal Terror to be still slightly better than normal Rune as a RPS trinket.

I'll try to do some old raids using Rune next week, since I'll be allowed to post those logs. Maybe there's someone else out there that can post their logs using the trinket, as I hope they had better luck than me with procs.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Unfortunately, our GM doesn't want me posting our logs at this time, but I did get a chance to test out the trinket this week in raiding. Proving that the change happened to trinkets in 5.2 is sort of difficult if the internal details concerning the changes are unknown, we'd just have to take the blue posts at their word. Up-time on Terror is pretty consistent, to say the least, however without knowledge of the internal workings (if changed), we can only speculate. If anything, Terror appears to act in a similar way it did prior to 5.2.
    Considering they never said they ever actually changed any T14 trinkets and even looking at my own logs Terror functions exactly the same as it did before, I'm willing to bet nothing actually happened.

If Rune used the haste values we have while in bear form while calculating the crit on proc, I'd say it would easily be a RPS upgrade from a normal Terror trinket even with its proc consistency. In its current state, I'm finding normal Terror to be still slightly better than normal Rune as a RPS trinket.
    Another thing to note is that T14 gear doesn't exactly allow for an abundance of Haste/Mastery if you're capping Hit & Expertise. This changes drastically once you get into full 522s.

Does it get easier to shed hit rating, as you get more tier 15 gear?

I just upgraded to the vicious talisman, last night, and even after reforging out of hit on every piece of gear I have, I'm still 700-ish hit rating above the cap. Since my bear is an alt, I'm not sure how long it might be, before I can ever get any version of the rune or bloodlust trinkets. That much hit just feels like a huge waste.

I'm considering refunding the vicious talisman, and going back to my 471 searing words, in order to take ring/wrist, and hope for the LFR version of rentaki's, to go along with my 496 arrowflight medallion. Note that this would put me around ~491 iLvl, and the most I'll be tanking would be t15 LFR, and/or t14 normals.

If you're going that far over the hit cap using Vicious Talisman, Searing Words is actually a better trinket.

That's what I was thinking - thanks.

Thanks for the info!

10+ Year Old Account
    Something i'll like to ask in my case of scenario would also be trinket wise. Right now, approaching durumu 10 man normal.

Here's my armory as follows ; any constructive comment would be appreciated on how to achieve more survival.

Sorry, can't post link right now as I haven't reach the amount of post required for.

Basically, didn't took the vicious shado-pan talisman reason being was due to I feel that 16k active dodge is pretty OP on bosses like frost king malakk, ji-kun, or even horridon. Now I'm actually thinking of next valor piece to get, whether it's gonna be shoulder, chest or the vicious shado-pan talisman?

Can't really answer without knowing what gear you have :|

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell us your name and realm and we will post the link.

10+ Year Old Account
    Name : Lýg
    Realm : Frostmourne

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, finally enough posts for me to do it.

---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 07:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    Can't really answer without knowing what gear you have :|
    Here's my armory link..

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%BDg/simple