Tortos 10 man- Help needed

Hey all, need some helpful tips/ strats for tortos 10 man.

Raid comp:
    Tanks: Pally/Druid
    Heals: Hpriest/Rsham [dps os] /Pug (druid or paladin)
    DPS: Dk, Fury Warrior, Ele sham, Frost mage, Surv Hunter

So we tried it two different ways on our first night, 3 and 2 healing.

1st Strategy we tried: Melee dps bouncing between boss and bats. Having the pally tank on boss [his healing agro pulled bats to him and the druid could easily get them off], and the ranged dps were killing the turtles. One issue we were having was that not all of the turtles would die before the next set of them came out. [We were three healing it]. So then I quickly changed the strat.

2nd Strategy: Two heal [Rsham went elemental] So then we would have 4 ranged killing turtles. So doing that meant we were killing the turtles in time and had time to help melee with bats and to dps the boss. The way we had ranged groups were to have a group of one healer and two ranged on either side of the area near a marker.

--------Tortos-----------

Square----------------Circle

My main concern is the rockfall damage. We have members in the raid taking almost a million damage from rockfall. There are never any direct hits, but the constant damage takes a toll on our healers who are also coordinating CD's for quake and keeping the tanks up. So are there any good strats that you guys have for reducing rockfall damage intake? I know it does ~60k damage to anything within 20 yards. Should everyone be spread out 20 yards? Anything to help is much appreciated

Thanks a ton

3 healing is definitely easier imo (maybe our healers are just so/so on this fight?). Having extra melee does kind of suck for turtle killing, but it's manageable for 3 ranged.

Your ranged just end up sitting on turtles the whole time, but as long as they focus them down and not get distracted it's not bad. Have 1 ranged skull an add each time to at least concentrate damage a little bit. If you can have you worst healer on shell kicking, that makes things easier too. Melee/tanks alone handle bats and do most of the boss damage. You just need your ranged to always prio turtles despite bat or boss meter padding opportunities.

Best if you can sub out your DK or War for a ranged, but otherwise I think i'd still prefer 3-healing and ranged handling turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeadott View Post
    3 healing is definitely easier imo (maybe our healers are just so/so on this fight?). Having extra melee does kind of suck for turtle killing, but it's manageable for 3 ranged.

Your ranged just end up sitting on turtles the whole time, but as long as they focus them down and not get distracted it's not bad. Have 1 ranged skull an add each time to at least concentrate damage a little bit. If you can have you worst healer on shell kicking, that makes things easier too. Melee/tanks alone handle bats and do most of the boss damage. You just need your ranged to always prio turtles despite bat or boss meter padding opportunities.

Best if you can sub out your DK or War for a ranged, but otherwise I think i'd still prefer 3-healing and ranged handling turtles.
    How did your group deal with the rockfall damage? Any special tactics?

Stay spread out to avoid circles spawning on large groups, but basically you just need to heal through them. With the moving, the knockups, etc. it just felt like too much raid/tank damage going on for 2 healers to manage it,

We 3-healed the fight as well. Melee usually has a bit more trouble moving out of rocks since they have less space to move around in, but no one should be taking a million damage. Your raid team needs to move around faster. Maybe Stampeding Roar?

We had 2 hpaladins for this fight and both picked up Holy Avenger and Light's Hammer. It should help a ton with the large amounts of burst healing.

We had 4 ranged for the fight, but our hunter was the designated turtle kicker (our top dps, but we figured he has the most mobility). Once the turtle died, we had all our ranged dps and healers move to the other side of the cave so that the hunter had less clutter when he had to kick. Our ranged had enough dps to take down the turtles in time (elemental shaman, frost mage, survival hunter, destro [I think] lock) so maybe swapping out a melee for ranged as suggested above might help.

As of now, I wouldn't suggest 2-healing. Your healers will run into mana issues and the constant AoE damage will be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by pandasham View Post
    Roll cooldowns. Demoralizing Banner, Tranquility, Healing totem, Paladin cooldowns.

Mage can Ice Block to help out as well.
    Last edited by pld; 2013-03-18 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pandasham View Post
    rockfall does dmg in a 20 yard radius i believe more the closer you are to it, so the dmg is larger than the graphic. what this should equate to is people being 20+ yards away from the largest clusters of falling crap. simply being outside of the blue circle is not enough.

we 3 heal the fight and rotate cd's through quake stomp:

1. healing tide
    2. paladin cds w/ bop or bubble
    3. druid tranq w/ bop + symbiosis spiritwalker's grace if necessary
    4. boomkin tranq w/ bop

repeat, using any other cds to fill in the gaps if healing gets sketchy. make sure people are not running through whirl turtles that need to be kicked after quake stomp or it's gonna be a nightmare on your kicker

Deleted
    We were three-healing it, with one of the healers kicking the turtles. So we had enough healing CDs for the stomp, and the dps can fully focus on dps and avoiding damage.
    Avoiding damage was the key for us. try to get 20+yards away from the rockfall, especially when multiple rockfalls are close. Then killing the boss wont be an issue.

Another thing i havent seen mentioned yet:
    kick one of the turtles towards the boss when three new ones spawn. The new ones will get the 25% damage taken debuff aswell.
    Thats makes killing the turtles pretty easy for three range dd! (one of our dds just rerolled hunter and his equip is subpar and they killed them pretty fast anyway)
    Last edited by mmocbcd4ea9821; 2013-03-18 at 08:08 PM.

One thing that really helped us was making sure the turtles were all slowed. Once we took care of that it was much easier to dodge rockfall b/c people got launched by the turtles much less frequently.

Deleted
    Downed tonight, pretty fun fight once you learn it.

1. Make sure the tank calls for the stomp 15-20 seconds before the cast: everyone must be full hp and helps a lot with cd rotation.
    2. Have always 2 dead turtles ready to be kicked: 1 interrupts the breath and the second one should be on the bats (see n.3)
    3. Remember that the bats always come down after the breath, bring them under the boss and aoe them down. A turtle can be used here in order to increase the dps on the bats.
    4. Tank tanking the bats needs to be overhealed: the bats will heal themselves i he's below 300k hitting VERY hard, so it's difficult to keep up with the damage.
    5. The turtles are always coming from the boss, place a trap there and make sure to slow them as much as possible, lower their hp early helps a lot.
    6. Turtles and rocks are going always to a player location...Spread, that's pretty obvious.

The fight can be very frustrating the first times: you end up wiping very early, seems like the boss' hp are not going down and the healers are probably oom really soon. After a while you get used to it and learn the timings. We had multiple wipes over 50%, 2 wipes at 30%, 1 panic wipe at 7% and then we got the kill.

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    We 3-healed the fight as well. Melee usually has a bit more trouble moving out of rocks since they have less space to move around in, but no one should be taking a million damage. Your raid team needs to move around faster. Maybe Stampeding Roar?

As of now, I wouldn't suggest 2-healing. Your healers will run into mana issues and the constant AoE damage will be brutal.
    For our kill yesterday, the average raid member took 2+ million damage from rockfall, and we only averaged 168k hps total, which is significantly less than you would expect during a fight like, say, normal mode garalon. It's really not a very healing intensive fight for t15, and it definitely doesn't feature any kind of "brutal" or "constant" aoe damage. (That's not to say we did it well, just that - even if you do very poorly and fail hard at avoiding the rockfalls like we did, it's still a very unintensive fight to heal).

Outside of the stomp, it has very mild, localized aoe damage around the rockfalls, and a tiny bit of damage if you take a turtle to the face, nothing else (aside from the normal tank damage, anyway). There is very little need to have your healers spec for burst healing, all you should need to do is to tell people to be aware that they shouldn't take splash damage from very many rockfalls at the same time right after a stomp, as that is the only time that it is dangerous. Going all kinds of crazy with burst healing, to top people up asap, right after a rockfall, is a sure-fire way to pointlessly waste your mana on inefficient healing. All you need to do is make sure they're at about full health by the next stomp.
    Last edited by Simulacrum; 2013-03-19 at 01:46 AM.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll use this thread to get help for my comp so I don't have to create another one:

TANKS:
    Warrior
    DK
    (back up of another Warrior and another DK)

HEALS:
    Holy priest
    Druid
    Paladin
    (back up of another holy priest)

DPS:
    Assassination rogue
    Enhancement shaman
    Frost mage
    Affliction warlock
    Elemental shaman
    (back up of another frost mage, frost dk, hunter, shadow priest; most of then unavailable now but in case some strat could be used)

We're using turtles for 1. Interrupt / 2. Burn bats / 3. Interrupt / 4. Burn bats / And so on..
    We're rotating Healing cooldowns for stomps.
    We struggle when we reach a stomp and the bats are not dead yet, the tank usually dies (it is the DK) or some heal/dps.
    We managed to get the boss to 50-60% but it seems we're not doing the mechanics bad, everything usually goes 'perfect' until someone dies randomly.
    Any help? Tips? Should some melee only focus the boss? Bring the bats to melee for 'cleaving'? Spread more or do some thing to mitigate more rockfall damage?
    Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by khatsoo View Post
    I'll use this thread to get help for my comp so I don't have to create another one:

TANKS:
    Warrior
    DK
    (back up of another Warrior and another DK)

HEALS:
    Holy priest
    Druid
    Paladin
    (back up of another holy priest)

DPS:
    Assassination rogue
    Enhancement shaman
    Frost mage
    Affliction warlock
    Elemental shaman
    (back up of another frost mage, frost dk, hunter, shadow priest; most of then unavailable now but in case some strat could be used)

We're using turtles for 1. Interrupt / 2. Burn bats / 3. Interrupt / 4. Burn bats / And so on..
    We're rotating Healing cooldowns for stomps.
    We struggle when we reach a stomp and the bats are not dead yet, the tank usually dies (it is the DK) or some heal/dps.
    We managed to get the boss to 50-60% but it seems we're not doing the mechanics bad, everything usually goes 'perfect' until someone dies randomly.
    Any help? Tips? Should some melee only focus the boss? Bring the bats to melee for 'cleaving'? Spread more or do some thing to mitigate more rockfall damage?
    Thanks for the help.
    Our tank (DK) usually brings the bats to melee once he has ample aggro on them. Our rogue and warrior appreciate this when they skyrocket on meters. If you're having issues dropping the bats in time, this may help. Your DPS is pretty good at AoE, so this shouldn't be a huge issue.

Tortos is a pretty straightforward fight with few surprises, so it's strange that someone is randomly dying, haha. The few times one of our raid members (aka me) "randomly" died, it was from rockfall. I would figure out what is killing them and then adjust from there.

Stomps go a lot better if bats are dead. With a lot of bats, healers have a hard time keeping up the bat tank and the raid while running to dodge rockfalls. Keep in mind bats can be stunned and kited. Some groups don't even kill bats and just kite them. You can try some aoe stuns right after rockfall to lower damage taken.

An option if you're dps is a little too low with 3 healers is to have you're holy priest use there offensive chakra( I forgot what it's called, not sanctuary or serenity but the other one. They do decent dps with holy fire and smite if its glyphed. They're aoe is good with mind sear too for the bats. Then they switch to healing during rockfall.

It should be easy for the priest to just mind sear bats once the tanks have aggro. That's probably the safest and easiest option for them instead of chasing around shells to kill.
    Last edited by redbaronz; 2013-03-20 at 10:22 PM.