Thread: Job upgrade

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Job upgrade

I never thought I'd come here and ask for life advice, but the mmoc community is filled with nice people so I figure to give it a go.

So, my fiance has worked for McDonalds for the past 4 years (3 as management) and is ready to leave the fast food/customer service level of jobs. She never got to finish college (long story involving her parents, a nasty divorce and who go the College fund). She's applied to a local bank as well as for secretary work at a local university and the local school district. I can't seem to help her think of other places to apply and I've been at my witts end to try and figure out other places.

Good people of the mmoc community, if you were in her foot steps, where would you apply for a job?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Any administration job would be an "upgrade". Apply at law firms to be front desk or any medical center. After being there for awhile there's always the chance to take many 6 month or 1 year programs to get a title like "legal assistant" or "medical assistant". Since she's already got her foot in the door, it would open up many job opportunities with very decent pay and minimal training.

McDonald's looks fantastic on a resume, and front end administration would be a good stepping stone.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Really? McDonald's looks that good on a resume? The thing that has her worried is that no one will hire someone with just McD experience. We'll poke around at law and medical offices for other paperwork jobs.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

At least here it does, http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_w...od_on_a_resume is just a random answer but I've read many employment research papers.

There are a lot of qualities it has as an employer, especially being that she's in management. My friend's girlfriend was in pretty much the exact same career situation. she took a job filing at a law office, moved to front desk, and is now a legal assistant in 2 years with a 6 month course. She makes about $40,000 per year now which was quite an upgrade from the last salary.

Best of luck to both of you.

My suggestion would be to parlay that Management McDonald's job into a similar position at a more upscale restaurant for a bit and then use that to get into the those administrative jobs. Although there really is no reason to go from McDonald's to the administrative jobs but some people turn their noses down on it.

I've only known 3 people who have worked in the fast food business and I can't say having that experience helped or hindered their job prospects.