Thread: Slavic lore

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Wouldn't mind it seems interesting.

They do not die; they do not live. They are outside the cycle. Your gods are not your gods, outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Grizzly Hills is the great example how Slavic themed expansion would looks like.
    There`s very little in British Columbia and Washington that appears Slavic.

Maybe they'll make it Eredar/Burning Legion architecture.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

I'm of the train of thought that as long as there's an interesting storyline and gameplay to accompany the lore (and it's not too contrived/makes logical sense) that anything can fit into WoW. Well... maybe not a zone wherein you fight evil Care Bear analogues on floating clouds and roads made from rainbows... but you get the point.

A few curious tidbits:
    - The first dynasty of rulers of Kievan Rus' was founded by a viking, Rurik, who was essentially invited to be a king.
    - Slavic legends and tales prominently feature fey spirits, from relatively harmless to outright malevolent. Domovoi is a house-spirit that watches over the house when owners are asleep, and does minor mischief sometimes. Poor housekeep angers domovoi and can cause it to do evil things. Rusalka is a drowned undead spirit or water demon, taking shape of young woman. They lure men and children to the water and drown them.

Awesome illustration:

- Baba Yaga, one of the most famous/infamous slavic monsters, is not actually always portrayed as evil. A common theme in many tales is for the hero to ask Baba Yaga for aid, which she often gives willingly in exchange for some attention. In one of the most famous folk tales, a girl is kicked out of her house by her stepmother to get some light (after the glowing wick goes out). The girl gets lost in the wood and stumbles upon Baba Yaga's hut. She toils for the hag for several days, while Baba Yaga gives her impossible tasks that the girl completes with help of magical dolly and Baba Yaga's minions she befriended. After she finishes all the tasks, Baba Yaga gives her a skull with glowing eyes and sends her home. When she gets home, the skull shoots fire from the eyes and burns her stepmother and stepsisters.

Illustration:

- Bogatyr are epic warriors from russian folk legends. One of the most famous, Ilya (Elijah) Muromets (of Murom), spends most of his life as housebound paraplegic. One day he is visited by an old man who begs for water. Despite being extremely weak, Ilya crawls out of the bed to fetch the old man some water. As a reward, the old man imbues Ilya with superhuman strength by breathing it into him. In his first adventure, he defeats a mysterious outlaw called "Nightingale" who can kill people by whistling. Apparently, there was actually a real-life prototype for this character, a warrior-turned-monk who was later canonized as a saint by Orthodox Church.

Lots of edits. I f-ed up some names.
    Last edited by namelessone; 2013-03-18 at 10:47 PM.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrleansTrolley View Post
    A lot of people will think it's a viking expansion instead of slavic lore. That, or a skyrim knock off.

It looks great though.
    I don't see how those pictures look anything like skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    But Katja, Ivan and other NPCs are clearly Slavic. And the area reminds me of Russian/Eastern Europe forests. But I've never been in US so BC and Wash nature for only pictures from google and geographic textbooks

Hahaha baba roga(yaga) good stuff. I remember my parents telling me about her when I was little.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

It would be neat, but at this point it's hard to imagine where it would be incorporated. Either another new completely unheard of continent on Azeroth, or an alien race off-world.

Maybe it could work for the Arakkoa, if they ever get expanded? I could see the style meshing with some of their existing architecture and looks.

The other day I was thinking, it would be interesting if they were revealed to have similar origins to the furbolgs and harpies and other such species of Azeroth (that is, descended from ancient animal demi-gods, like the Ancients), and somehow fled to Draenor ages ago, when their own world was overtaken by Old Gods (perhaps having since been defeated by the Titans, unbeknownest to the refugees). It could potentially make an interesting comparison with how things turned out on Azeroth, and give more insight into the nature of the Old Gods or how the Titans go about ordering a world.

So far I think the Arakkoa are the only hint we've had of an off-world race with links to the Old God "species," in the form of those exiles trying to summon that C'thun look-a-like.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2013-03-19 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    I would love to see Slavic mythology. It's very complex and I still don't know which god is "supreme" or the most powerful.
    Anyone knows?
    Well, there is no "god" that is supreme, the three "most powerful" gods Svarog, Perun, and Dajbog are combined in this supreme being named Triglav, he has control over sky, earth and underworld.

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 09:28 AM ----------

WoWProgress: Gouca of Shattered Hand. Security vs. Garrosh 25H
    Software engineer at Microsoft (former Nokia).

Quote Originally Posted by Blapis View Post
    I would love to see Slavic mythology. It's very complex and I still don't know which god is "supreme" or the most powerful.
    Anyone knows?
    Either Perun or Svarog. It's complicated. The early Slavic tribes weren't really unified. Also, we Russians invented the liches: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgesh View Post
    Well I'd like to see Niko Belic or Vlad the Impaler in WoW
    Vlad the Impaler isn't slavic at all, nor are Romanians whom happen to be Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    There's very little in Grizzly Hills that appears like Washington to me. Well, might be because I've never been to Washington, but as a Russian, I can tell you that Grizzly Hills is indeed the most Russian zone in WoW. Those wooden huts, the forests, even NPC names. There's even a questgiver that has my name! He is secretly a worgen though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

as a Pole I definitelly wouldn't mind

Yes, there is definately a reason why this lore needs it's way into the game.

The old norse mythology has made its way during WotLK, as many others have before or after it. I'm sure there is plenty chinese lore in pandaria.

Now you can say 'Lazy Blizzard, they aren't inventing lore, they are just butchering old mythologies for their game'.
    On the other hand, it's just another way to tell the old tales, the epic sagas - gaming is just another medium. They have always been reused for fairy tales, fantasy books, movies, operas etc., there are so many examples.

In my opinion it is a good thing to tell those tales through video games. If you are interested in finding the source of it and read the old sagas is up to you - there are many old books you can get online, scanned manuscripts on wikipedia's commons.

Slavic lore would be a good addition, I haven't read much of it to be honest and many of the above things are new to me as a middle european.
    Even the idea of Argus and tying it to the slavic lore isn't bad - but as already mentioned above, the russians have roots in the nordemen tribe Rus'. So the architecture is indeed close to the norse one - I'm not sure if players would understand how buildings in grizzly hills look like buildings on Argus. Maybe just the builings with dome-shaped roofs would work.

What about a Vrykul-tribe that left Northerend long ago and evolved more 'slavic'? A playable race, so far hidden in mysterious mists...

Indeed, the Slavic, Germanic and Celtic culture have been highly mixed throughout the ages, so you will find a lot of common themes in their mythologies (similar architecture, reverence of trees, various nature spirits, etc)

The problem with Slavic deities is that they have never been written down like the Germanic ones (Edda and stuff), and what little records there were, were systematically destroyed during the christianisation of previously pagan areas. So most of the information about Slavic deities and mythology has been reconstructed from folk stories, fairy tales, myths, etymology, toponymy and hydronymy.

Also, in case anybody was wondering, the second and third picture come from Pustevny, Czech Republic.

What about a Vrykul-tribe that left Northerend long ago and evolved more 'slavic'? A playable race, so far hidden in mysterious mists...
    This is a good idea too.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    This is a good idea too.
    Perhaps Tyr, the missing Watcher from Ulduar, Lead them away?

Would be awesome, tho me being a Slovak am a tiny bit biased

For example The Witcher franchise depicts some of the traditional Slavic folk monsters (being written by a Pole and whatnot).

Also Russians aren't the only Slaves, and the ones in central Europe weren't influenced by the Vikings (tho we had our own culture and folk tales heavily influenced by Hungarian, Austrian and German nations since the start of the Dark Ages up to WW1 - cca 1k years)

Firebird

I am a Mage.
    Avatar shamelessly stolen from Deviant Art, all credit to the author
    Phailah|Forged|Drak'thul EU

A Slavic/Balkan theme would be fun.

It'd be interesting to see (if we ever go to Argus) if the Draenei architecture matches their accent.