Thread: Slavic lore

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    A Slavic/Balkan theme would be fun.

It'd be interesting to see (if we ever go to Argus) if the Draenei architecture matches their accent.
    aren't we already have Draenei architecture in the game? crystals and stuff? Slavic theme doesn't suit them at all, they are too advanced for living in a forests.
    my PSN ID - Kobold_Rider

Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    aren't we already have Draenei architecture in the game? crystals and stuff? Slavic theme doesn't suit them at all, they are too advanced for living in a forests.
    Also, I've always imagined the original Draenic culture to be highly Arabic-inspired, because of their names.

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Also, I've always imagined the original Draenic culture to be highly Arabic-inspired, because of their names.
    yeah, they are clearly arabic inspired, jsut look how they dance for example, don't know why so many people think they are space russians.
    my PSN ID - Kobold_Rider

I would rather get something unique, a mash between slavic and... I don't know, egyptian or alien. But slavic alone no. Why? Because I don't want just a copy of real life myths, I want something unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I would rather get something unique, a mash between slavic and... I don't know, egyptian or alien. But slavic alone no. Why? Because I don't want just a copy of real life myths, I want something unique.
    Name something unique in wow.

Well I guess nobody in this thread expected a 100% rewrite of something, Blizz always adds it's own twist in everything.

Mechagnome
    I would love to see a slavic themed expansion!

I'm from Norway and our cultural heritage is well know around the world, I don't know anything about slavic/Eastern European mythology, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Northern Europe: SNOW, VIKINGS, WINTER, RAWR, BADASSERY
    Eastern Europe: wat? ...does Dracula count?

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    no, Vlad was Romanian who aren't slavs
    well, maybe part slavs, but iirc mostly from Dacians that lived there and roman legionaries after the dacian wars hence romanian being a romance language
    Last edited by Enosh; 2013-03-19 at 08:36 PM.

Mechagnome
    I know, I know!

It's just that I'm going to be straight forward and go with the assumption that around the world, Eastern Europe culture, mythology and history remain as small mysteries, as in many Norwegians would picture anything Russia/Eastern Europe as gray and gloomy without having actually been there, which I think is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    no, Vlad was Romanian who aren't slavs
    well, maybe part slavs, but iirc mostly from Dacians that lived there and roman legionaries after the dacian wars hence romanian being a romance language
    Well the deal is very complex with Romania. I'm not that faimilar with the history of Romania, but I think the deal about the language / culture is quite similar to Hungary. Hungarians speak an Ugrofinnic language (same as the Finns, Estonians and many various tribes beyond the Ural). But their culture is, actually, mostly Slavic in origin. The area has been settled by Slavs for a long time, then the Magyars invaded the land and conquered the people, forcing their language onto them.

For example in Bulgaria, it happened the complete opposite way. I don't know who was there first, but then the Bulgars invaded and settled there (they came from the east) and established a state, but it was very quickly and very strongly "Slavicised".

But that's just a gross oversimplification anyway. You can't look at the world and look for nations or stuff like that, "nation" is a relatively new term that has only ever caused trouble. Europe has always been a huge melting pot of all kinds of various culture, languages,... And Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary were probably one of the biggest melting pots out there back then. They have been constantly attacked by various nomadic marauders from the east (like the Hungarians or original Bulgars).

I thought they were Indian. Riding elephants, having shining glyphs (instead of red dots) on the forehead...

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 01:09 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    I would love to see a slavic themed expansion!

I'm from Norway and our cultural heritage is well know around the world, I don't know anything about slavic/Eastern European mythology, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Northern Europe: SNOW, VIKINGS, WINTER, RAWR, BADASSERY
    Welcome to Scholomance. It's based on IRL Romanian legends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Metzenphrenia. As defined in the DSM: "To be so badly written, that it drives the character into insanity." It's symptoms are similar to schizophrenia but even crazier.
    "There are no answers, only choices" - Solaris.

Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    Name something unique in wow.
    night elves (yes, they're a mash of different elves, but they're unique). draenei. gentlemen worgen. blood elves (as the fel sucking ones).

Well I guess nobody in this thread expected a 100% rewrite of something, Blizz always adds it's own twist in everything.
    True, but there's a difference between worgen and their connection to victorian english and the west side of Uldum quest and Indiana Jones. I can accept the first, but I'd hate the second.

Well the deal is very complex with Romania. I'm not that faimilar with the history of Romania, but I think the deal about the language / culture is quite similar to Hungary. Hungarians speak an Ugrofinnic language (same as the Finns, Estonians and many various tribes beyond the Ural). But their culture is, actually, mostly Slavic in origin. The area has been settled by Slavs for a long time, then the Magyars invaded the land and conquered the people, forcing their language onto them.

For example in Bulgaria, it happened the complete opposite way. I don't know who was there first, but then the Bulgars invaded and settled there (they came from the east) and established a state, but it was very quickly and very strongly "Slavicised".

But that's just a gross oversimplification anyway. You can't look at the world and look for nations or stuff like that, "nation" is a relatively new term that has only ever caused trouble. Europe has always been a huge melting pot of all kinds of various culture, languages,... And Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary were probably one of the biggest melting pots out there back then. They have been constantly attacked by various nomadic marauders from the east (like the Hungarians or original Bulgars).
    Actually no. You'd be surprised how much romanians resisted slavic influence. Yes, there are stories, myths and similar thing and at one point we could have went even down the path of slavic writing but we rejected that the same we rejected hungarians. In truth, the romanians were always at the meeting of 3 empires and had parts of culture they broke off of hungarians, russians and ottomans while also trying to add their former roman (through french) influence to it.

And before the Byzantine Empire fell, it is true that there were various slavic tribes on our land, but they were just waiting to go south, and when it fell, they did, leaving very few behind as they were nomadic. This is why there's such a big difference in culture between Bulgaria and Romania today for example. Our slavic tribes left... but settled in Bulgaria.

I don't know ANYTHING about the slavic background, nor have I really heard anything about it either. I doubt blizzard is going to use real life themes when it's not really known.

Actually no. You'd be surprised how much romanians resisted slavic influence. Yes, there are stories, myths and similar thing and at one point we could have went even down the path of slavic writing but we rejected that the same we rejected hungarians. In truth, the romanians were always at the meeting of 3 empires and had parts of culture they broke off of hungarians, russians and ottomans while also trying to add their former roman (through french) influence to it.

And before the Byzantine Empire fell, it is true that there were various slavic tribes on our land, but they were just waiting to go south, and when it fell, they did, leaving very few behind as they were nomadic. This is why there's such a big difference in culture between Bulgaria and Romania today for example. Our slavic tribes left... but settled in Bulgaria.
    Thanks for the clarification

It could definitely be incorporated in "pre-draenei + pre-legion" Eredar lore and architecture. Draenei basically adopted a lot of Naaru elements into their new racial identity, and the Legion's Eredar adopted demonic undertones, like the Forge Camps.

But the Eredar before Sargeras met them? Totally could see them as a mashup of arabian and slavic.
    "Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my comrade." - Albert Camus

They could use Slavic influences for Kul Tiras, seeing as how very little of it's architecture or imagery is seen in WoW so far. Trolls are a blending of various island cultures, both carribean and south pacific, and the Tauren are a blending of various aborigine/amerind cultures, in fact most all the races in WoW with a distinct cultural motif are pastiches of real world influences. I think blending Slavic culture with a strong maritime one would be awesome, and would hep to make the various human kingdoms distinct from each other.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    I don't know ANYTHING about the slavic background, nor have I really heard anything about it either. I doubt blizzard is going to use real life themes when it's not really known.
    I'm sure most people are at least familiar with Baba Yaga from elementary school. I recall it being read to us on multiple occasions at the school library when I was very young.

I don't really care for the idea of it being incorporated into any existing Azeroth races simply because there isn't much room left to play around with them. The only group we really have left to define would be the culture of Kul Tiras, which I think a lot of people are already hoping will at least superficially resemble some of the colonial European/Mediterranean societies with strong naval history, like the Spanish or Portugese.

I'll once again throw a vote at the Arakkoa. If ever get expanded into a more fully formed race, I think Slavic culture could work as a good jumping off point to build their kit. Even just looking at the concept art and architecture that was already designed for the Arakkoa, I think one can see where Slavic design could be incorporated well. Heck, they even have some birds and human/bird hybrids featuring pretty prominently in imagery and mythology.

Draenei are not Arabic -- the blood elves and ethereals both have a far greater claim to Middle Eastern cultures. The draenei are largely an original creation (Blizzard used them as an attempt to push high fantasy concepts), but what little they draw from real world cultures almost surely comes from the Romani people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Draenei are not Arabic -- the blood elves and ethereals both have a far greater claim to Middle Eastern cultures. The draenei are largely an original creation (Blizzard used them as an attempt to push high fantasy concepts), but what little they draw from real world cultures almost surely comes from the Romani people.
    Romani people? The only thing in WoW that reminds me of Romani culture is the Darkmoon Faire.

------------------------------------------

Another picture:

Also, I haven't included any music yet:

Last edited by Uzi; 2013-04-09 at 05:24 PM.