Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Flawless Square gems and other overpriced items...

I just sold over 100 Flawless Square Emeralds on the AH... for 6,000~ each, if I am remembering right.
    Rubies, Topaz, and Amethysts... do not sell for quite that much.

I'm noticing there's a few things with these stupid high values on the AH, but not only that, people obviously have bots setup to buy them en mass. Why is that? Especially when they are a gem that so commonly drops in Inferno mode? I'd like to know some of the formulas behind some of these odd occurrences on the AH, as they do not seem at all economically smart on the surface, but obviously, they must be to some degree deep within, yes?
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2013-03-20 at 02:43 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I believe in most circumstances if you buy all the mats to a radiant star and craft it yourself you can turn like 1% profit, maybe a little less. Worth it for a human spending his whole day doing this? Probably not. Free gold for a bot doing it? Absolutely.

That's my guess, anyway. Obviously the volume a bot would have to do this to match actually farming is probably pretty high, which is the really questionable part. I would also guess it's a semi-legit botter who just wants 10% off his top tier gems but doesn't want to go through the effort of hunting the AH all day.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2013-03-19 at 05:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Emerald are around 8k on softcore. The rest are around 1k or less. It sucks, like really bad, but there's nothing that can be done until they make the rest of the colors viable in weapons. As is stands, only in extremely rare cases is a ruby better than an emerald, and the other two colors don't exist in weapons. It pisses me off, because I feel punished because I play a monk, and making amulets costs that much more than everyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Er yeah, closer to 5k. I'm tired, heh. I suppose if one can work the AH to turn that profit, but I just feel like that's a tough risky game to play. I honestly want to talk to one of these botters and hear from them what they do and why. lol
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, yes, flawless squares do drop a ton in inferno. But, it takes 600-some-odd of one type to make a radiant gem. Getting that many of one type is going to take forever, and nearly impossible by yourself. And, multiply that number times three for a marquise. Not gonna happen. People pretty much have to buy some gems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow... Never realized just how quickly they add up! O_O

Just did the math...

243 Flawless Squares just to make a Perfect Star... 729 to make a Radiant Star... 2,187 for a Marq. ._.
    "A flower.

Interesting read here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592801709

Melkor breaks down exactly what it takes to make a radiant star gem from flawless squares (including tomes and gold costs and clicking time!).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    Interesting read here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592801709

Melkor breaks down exactly what it takes to make a radiant star gem from flawless squares (including tomes and gold costs and clicking time!).

Now I see how badly they need to put in an option to mass-produce gems at once. -.-

5 hours of clicking? Come on Blizzard. =/
    "A flower.

another option that would suit blizz better imo.. have rare ass gems actually drop.. not just these bullshit patterns..

.. have a chance for a flawless star topaz atleast or better to drop off a boss... with a drop rate around the same as legendaries so people arent getting hurt by the economy.. i mean spending 6 hours just to make a radiant star is ridiculous.. including all the crafting costs....
    this makes more sense then wasting the time instead crafting.. i mean crafting is cool and all but theres a reason bots exist to craft gems.. cause normal people dont wanna do it. normal people still have fun crafting rare amulets, chest armors, hellfire rings, gloves and wrists.

10+ Year Old Account
    That does bug me... max being flawless square even on MP10 is just stupid to me. -.-
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Now I see how badly they need to put in an option to mass-produce gems at once. -.-

This is all assuming you are starting out with only flawless square to begin with. Who actually has enough money to craft all those radiant/marquise gems but was still playing gemmed in flawless squares? Nobody, that's who. For "normal" progression people are upgrading along the way, not everything at once.

The theory is right, ofcourse, but how often will it be done this way?

Go on the RMAH. Look at the price for a radiant star emerald. Pop over to GAH and look at the cost of the same emerald. Do the math, with a 15% flip fee.
    If you sit and think about the number you see for a minute or two, a lot of things should become clear about the D3 economy.
    Arbitrage.

Thanks Blizz, I knew DH was the right way to go... with all the nerfs and prices of the only gem we really use in all our gear I knew I could on you for "balance".

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I'd still be interested who the hell came up with the wonderful idea to have no crafting queues and these crafting times.

1000g is alot when you cant even buy a decent piece of gear for under 100 mil?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by syn1k View Post
    1000g is alot when you cant even buy a decent piece of gear for under 100 mil?
    It was 5000-8000g actually.

And it's a lot when you consider it's a gem that drops all the time while running even MP0 Inferno.
    "A flower.

20mil gold for a gem is CRAZY!

Quote Originally Posted by DemGaimzChannel View Post
    20mil gold for a gem is CRAZY!
    Sure is, until gear becomes so costly to upgrade that 58+ to a primary stat is a steal. And let's not forget what a top tier emerald/ruby could do for your weapon socket.

yar. marquise ruby was 10k paper dps upgrade for me. cheapest 10k i think i have bought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfin View Post
    yar. marquise ruby was 10k paper dps upgrade for me. cheapest 10k i think i have bought.
    Wow. 10k up from what level? Radiant Star or?
    "A flower.