Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    That will teach me for believing what my work mates tell me at face value without checking myself. (Hint my boss resigned today)
    Why not shove an application in for his job. Easy money right?! Plus you're internal, gotta be worth something.

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    Why not shove an application in for his job. Easy money right?! Plus you're internal, gotta be worth something.
    A techy like me running a massive company? ...haha nah sod that.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    A techy like me running a massive company? ...haha nah sod that.
    Well, you need to find a way to link that Clever Noob video into the internal E-mails somehow, someway.

    Now I know, it may not do much for your short term job security, that's true. But think of the long term- the big picture. Your possible sacrifice could be the meaningful catalyst of change that saves this wonderful industry from sure fire destruction! Or, it could just get your fired and it mean nothing. Who knows? Heavy risk, but the priiiize...
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

  4. #84
    Bloodsail Admiral rashen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,222
    Hopefully this will bring some bright changes into EA concerning DLC and microtransactions, i hate that man with a passion.


    This is John on the subject of microtransactions, that kind of greed speaks for itself.

  5. #85
    I'd actually say he did a good job from a business standpoint. Ever since the stock market crash 5 years ago times have been rough for all major publishers (you will find stock values of everyone bar Microsoft and Valve pretty much dropped to nearly nothing) and they are yet to recover to even being close to what they had before the crash. Under his tenure EA has cut of IPs and studios that were not worthwhile and put EA in a position where they aren't badly in the red anymore. He hasn't even been directly responsible for most of the blunders the company has comited in regards to PR failure, though he obviously shares alot of the blame for how things have gone down.

    Let's not forget, the CEO is practically just the messenger. You don't shoot the messenger. It is the stockholders, the "Board of Directors" that are truly to blame for what EA has become becuase they hire the CEO and tell him what to achieve and the CEO is then obliged to comply by whatever means possible - that is what doing one's job is. I hope the stockholders will be less tyrannical this time around but somehow I think not.

    Also in EA's defense they have released lots of good games over the years like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Battlefield 3, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and a couple more franchises I really do like. Obviously with every success there's a failure: As good a game ME3 is the terrible ending overshadows it. Battlefield 3 suffered bad launch issues and so did SimCity. Dragon Age 2 was quite an achievement in rushing a game out the door. Yeah that list goes on. EA is to me a double edged sword as likely to cut you as it is to cut for you, and how I wish that was not the case because I do enjoy many of their games.

  6. #86
    Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,722


    this seems pretty relevant
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest


  7. #87
    Herald of the Titans Geminiwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Demon Realm
    Posts
    2,624
    This still won't change anything at EA. They'll still be the same greedy assholes that ruin video games by putting in unnecessary DLC and online passes. Only way anything good can come out of EA is if they just die.
    Last edited by Geminiwolf; 2013-03-20 at 12:23 AM.
    “Ever wonder why ice cubes taste so boring? It’s cuz you make ‘em outta stupid water, you bimbo! Put some fruit juice in there and freeze it into ice cubes, and put THAT in your milk.”
    "One small mankind and I'm gonna leap the heck outta this moon rocket." - Kneel Aurmstrang
    For your health.

  8. #88
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,801
    Isn't reality grand.

    http://news.yahoo.com/origin-sale-fa...190800152.html

    I was wondering how long it would take for EA to cave.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Isn't reality grand.

    http://news.yahoo.com/origin-sale-fa...190800152.html

    I was wondering how long it would take for EA to cave.
    Heh, every time they have a deep sale (especially on any new/newish games like Crysis 3/Dead Space 3) I think back to the executive talking about how deep discounts de-value IP's.

    They're doing the exact same thing Steam does. It's their usual MO; shit talk successful competitors, engage in the same practices that they have been shit talking.

  10. #90
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,801
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Heh, every time they have a deep sale (especially on any new/newish games like Crysis 3/Dead Space 3) I think back to the executive talking about how deep discounts de-value IP's.

    They're doing the exact same thing Steam does. It's their usual MO; shit talk successful competitors, engage in the same practices that they have been shit talking.
    You would think that EA's execs would have passed some sort of bowel event horizon by now. Where the weight of their own bullshit would make it impossible to escape the black hole their credibility has become. Yet, somehow, they keep crapping all over anyone bored enough to listen.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    You would think that EA's execs would have passed some sort of bowel event horizon by now. Where the weight of their own bullshit would make it impossible to escape the black hole their credibility has become. Yet, somehow, they keep crapping all over anyone bored enough to listen.
    That's the issue though. Their credibility may be shit with core gamers, but it's fine with the broader market. Couple that with the fact that the core gamers that continually proclaim to hate EA or whatever other publisher/developer will still buy their games, and you have a bunch of pointless rage.

  12. #92
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,801
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    That's the issue though. Their credibility may be shit with core gamers, but it's fine with the broader market. Couple that with the fact that the core gamers that continually proclaim to hate EA or whatever other publisher/developer will still buy their games, and you have a bunch of pointless rage.
    It does make me wonder... Who laughs at the other more? The gamers, or the suits?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    It does make me wonder... Who laughs at the other more? The gamers, or the suits?
    The suits. Unless they end up like THQ : (

  14. #94
    I am Murloc! SirRobin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Counciltucky
    Posts
    5,801
    I'm not so sure about that. I figure there are plenty of execs whose egos are as big or bigger than many gamers. When stuff blows up in their faces, SimCity, ACM, WAR, TOR, etc, etc... I imagine it really has to bruise. Especially when the board decides, that they've decided, to resign.

    When we're stupid. We're out fifty bucks. When they're stupid. It can be millions.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I figure there are plenty of execs whose egos are as big or bigger than many gamers. When stuff blows up in their faces, SimCity, ACM, WAR, TOR, etc, etc... I imagine it really has to bruise. Especially when the board decides, that they've decided, to resign.

    When we're stupid. We're out fifty bucks. When they're stupid. It can be millions.
    And they still walk away with millions in their pockets even after they leave the company. Hell, THQ's executive team, the one that drove the company into the ground, was still making millions up until they left (and if I remember correctly they had nice leaving packages). You have a team that literally took a profitable company and 180'd them into a company on the verge of closing, and they were still being paid more in a single year than most people make in a decade or more.

  16. #96
    The Unstoppable Force Aeluron Lightsong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jaina Proudmoore's side. Always and forever.
    Posts
    23,403
    I'd say wait until he does things. Sure Ceo's seem to be the posterboy and or girl of greed but you never know. Crazier stuff then this has happened.
    Blizzard do not destroy Jaina Proudmoore's character. Make her who she once was, not full of rage and vengeance.,If you are curious about me or about my writing aspirations, feel free to pst me. Paladin-Sorcerer at your service! My Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeluron

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I'd say wait until he does things. Sure Ceo's seem to be the posterboy and or girl of greed but you never know. Crazier stuff then this has happened.
    Not with EA. It has been self-repeating story for 2 decades now and only the faces in the lead have changed.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  18. #98
    Can this horrid CEO of a horrid company please take SWTOR with him?! Have that on his resume and watch him get another job.

    Now that there is a CEO opening at EA... I could only think of this:
    A troll is a troll and a roll is a roll, and if we feed them trolls then we don't eat no rolls.

  19. #99
    Mechagnome calmsea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maine, US
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    A CEO's job is to make as much money as possible. It is the major metric upon which a CEO is evaluated.
    To a degree. I think a CFO's job is far more dependent on that criteria than CEO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •