Deleted

[Books] Barnes & Noble - Dumbing down text?

So I saw Barnes & Noble publish some of my favourite books, but I've heard that they dumb down and modernise the text, anyone got first-hand experience with this?

Shame if they do, because they look quite nice.

I've heard that el chucacabra stalks humans in the darkness of the central American night and that random farmers get anally probed by aliens that have travelled hundreds of lightyears just to get their instruments into dirty corn-fed rectums.

Maybe a link or something on this would be a good idea to post?

10+ Year Old Account
    Never really heard of this but I've never read anything published by B&N. In fact, I wasn't even aware they published at all.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Never really heard of this but I've never read anything published by B&N. In fact, I wasn't even aware they published at all.
    They are, if I recall the last times I was in there correctly, publishing a lot of classics in the old-school stiff leather-like covers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    They are, if I recall the last times I was in there correctly, publishing a lot of classics in the old-school stiff leather-like covers.
    I didn't know that was B&N themselves though. Bought one for my mother for her birthday, the Chronicles of Narnia. Read some of it, none of it was changed as far as I could tell.
    Putin khuliyo

Never heard of this, nothing seems to come from a Google search. Maybe pick a random passage from their version and compare it to a version you know is correct to make sure? Doesn't seem to be an issue, though, as I'd imagine there'd be quite a commotion on various forums if B&N were defacing classics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    In fact, I wasn't even aware they published at all.
    They own Sterling Publishing.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    In January of 2012, Barnes & Noble put Sterling Publishing up for sale though.

http://www.ashvegas.com/barnes-noble...les-lark-books
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    In January of 2012, Barnes & Noble put Sterling Publishing up for sale though.

http://www.ashvegas.com/barnes-noble...les-lark-books
    They later decided against selling it.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...-business.html

There are lots of different versions of books that are abridged or modernized. It's nothing new and nothing indicative of a failing society. Hell, I even own a copy of a version of the Canterbury Tales in modern English and written in Narrative and not verse.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!