Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Europeans, Do you care about the World Baseball Classic?

So the world baseball classic is being played right now and it seems like the teams that really get support are the US, Latin America, and Asian teams (specifically Japan). However the Netherlands is currently playing tonight for the semi-finals. How many Europeans out there actually care about the WBC, did you even know it was happening?

Also, Americans or other countries welcome to comment. Just curious about Europe since they don't seen to be baseball fans usually.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea it was happening until just now when you said it, and I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in baseball.

My family is all from Europe (well I'm from there but lived in the US the past 20 years). Nobody I know there has any interest in Baseball. Some sports from the US has transported pretty well, like Basketball. I don't think Baseball has though.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    enjoying the harem in Den of Mortal Delights
    sorry was too busy with the champions league :P

i feel this is like asking the average american if they care about the world cup for soccer...... which I'm surprised to say quite a few of us watch. so who knows, as far as i know baseball isn't that popular outside of America aside from Japan and i guess latin america.

Deleted
    I'm European and I don't think I know a single person who gives two figs about baseball. But I do know this one guy that actually likes and follows American Handegg so that's that.

Deleted
    Baseball is one of most boring sports. unpossible to watch it just for the sake of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talindra View Post
    However the Netherlands is currently playing tonight for the semi-finals. How many Europeans out there actually care about the WBC, did you even know it was happening?
    I'm Dutch, and I had no idea. Well, I vaguely remember reading they won something last week.

Not that I care much about watching sports anyway.

Deleted
    You'll find some people interested in basketball or football, but I don't think anyone gives a flying poop about baseball.

I guess I am the only European who knew about it & has actually watched some of it, that being said it's a minority sport here and not many people are aware of it, I only know about it because I watch a ton of baseball throughout the season! It's played in places where US forces have been traditionally stationed over here, so it has some players in the UK - we got knocked out at the qualifiers in Germany.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Also Dutch. Obviously didn't watch the game live but it was fairly big news still (even though they lost).

The Netherlands is probably one of the only countries in Europe (along with Italy) that plays somewhat decent baseball. Basically because we have a bunch of Islands in the carribean still of which the players play for the Dutch team along with a little bit of a baseball culture in the Netherlands because (and this is what I heard through interviews) a lot of the young kids in the 70's used to play baseball in the summermonths when they couldn't play football (because of the summerbreak).

I think people like Johan Cruyff and Johan Neeskens were actually pretty good at it too. Neeskens played in the junior orange team I believe and Cruyff played for Ajax as a catcher.

And also, I think we are still world champions in baseball but I don't know how often that is played. In 2011 we became champions I think.

Deleted
    I think baseball is the least watch american sport in Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Also Dutch. Obviously didn't watch the game live but it was fairly big news still (even though they lost).

The Netherlands is probably one of the only countries in Europe (along with Italy) that plays somewhat decent baseball. Basically because we have a bunch of Islands in the carribean still of which the players play for the Dutch team along with a little bit of a baseball culture in the Netherlands because (and this is what I heard through interviews) a lot of the young kids in the 70's used to play baseball in the summermonths when they couldn't play football (because of the summerbreak).

I think people like Johan Cruyff and Johan Neeskens were actually pretty good at it too. Neeskens played in the junior orange team I believe and Cruyff played for Ajax as a catcher.

And also, I think we are still world champions in baseball but I don't know how often that is played. In 2011 we became champions I think.
    Dutch are weird.....
    And now explain to the Americans who Cruyff and Neeskens are.. lol And a World Champion that's not American? unheard of.... That must be an unofficial title. lol
    The USA is the World.... Proof? No problem...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_World_Series
    Omaha, Nebraska.. It's the next bigger city from me. So they have the College "World" Series.. Minor detail... They are all American teams.
    No single other nation is present there.

As for Germany, Baseball has basically zero popularity there. Even though, there's a Baseball/Softball league and even a National team.

Deleted
    In England exept ofc from football (soccer) only other sports I see regularely promoted are rugby and cricket.
    And pro wrestling, if i had to guess more people over here follow WWE than NFL.

The odd thing about the WBC is the best American players don't participate because its before the real season starts for them and most coaches/managers don't want their star player getting hurt. This tournament seems to mean the most to latin american countries and Japan. I guess they have the most rising stars hoping tobe seen here and make it to the MLB in America? Dunno. Anyway Puerto Rico upset Japan (the two time reigning champ). So its Puerto Rico and the Domincan Republic in the finals I think.

Deleted
    What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    In England exept ofc from football (soccer) only other sports I see regularely promoted are rugby and cricket.
    And pro wrestling, if i had to guess more people over here follow WWE than NFL.
    This is baseball not american football =P

10+ Year Old Account
    baseball? hell no, here in england we have cricket for our all day sport. at school as kids we play a version of baseball called 'rounders', but its mostly aimed at girls, well was in my school anyway. baseball is one of those sports thats only popular in americas / far east. bit like rugby and cricket are only popular amongst the old empire colonies

None whatsoever. Neither does anyone whom I know.
    Bigger than Life.

15+ Year Old Account
    We have no interest in American baseball here in Finland. We have our own version of baseball, which isn't popular either.

EDIT: This is the Finnish version of baseball: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pes%c3%a4pallo
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.